Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Are my cats going out??

Old 11-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my cats going out??

I searched around a bit and didn't turn up anything I thought was similar to my situation. Maybe I'm just really new to all this but I've had the p0410 code for some time now and haven't gotten to fixing it yet. I have to get my emissions test done soon but can't with the code on. So me being a bright guy I decided to clear the code, when I did this I noticed I have 2 more codes p0422 and another bank as well.Could the secondary air injection system problem be hurting my cats or is this just a whole other problem that I need to address? Thanks in advance for quick replies. Aaron

Old 11-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Are my cats going out??

Read through this thread : https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-solution.html

1. air check valve
2. air pump relay in RCM
3. air pump itself

Fix the P0410 first, then see if the other codes come back ( and keep your cats in, don't let them out. ).

Last edited by ala_xfire; 11-28-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Read through this thread : https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-solution.html

1. air check valve
2. air pump relay in RCM
3. air pump itself

Fix the P0410 first, then see if the other codes come back ( and keep your cats in, don't let them out. ).
The title had me going for a second there.
I agree, keeping your cats in the home saves wildlife in the area. Domestic cats kill millions of birds each year. I like cats but I like the birds we feed as well.

Quick route to the solution is to determine if the pump comes on for some thirty seconds (?) or so when you start the car up from cold. If it comes on and stays on all the time at starting then the points in the RCM are stuck and the pump will get ruined pretty quickly. You should hear this easily. If it does not come on then you probably have the points burnt out in the RCM or a ground problem.
Most problems are one or other of these problems.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-28-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:40 AM

The check valve has been replaced. I do notice the pump on at start up for about 30 seconds. Originally I wasn't too concerned about the p0410 code but I have to get emissions done and it won't work with check engine light on.. How much experience do you need to replace the relay? I'm not very car savvy... I'm sure there is a DIY on here that I'll come in contact with soon. Thanks for the input guys!

Old 11-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

No experience required, just mail it to tighed1 along with $20
Send him an IM for instructions.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mattisonfam
The check valve has been replaced. I do notice the pump on at start up for about 30 seconds. Originally I wasn't too concerned about the p0410 code but I have to get emissions done and it won't work with check engine light on.. How much experience do you need to replace the relay? I'm not very car savvy... I'm sure there is a DIY on here that I'll come in contact with soon. Thanks for the input guys!
Go to this thread (CLICK) and take note of the #1 post in it, a poor ground can give the error code and it is the easiest and cheapest fix if it works.
If that does not work read the thread, your solution is in there somewhere.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI
When you start the engine if the coolant temperature, measured by the coolant temp sensor, is less than 80 deg F, the PCM grounds the Air Pump Relay and the pump operates. In addition, the PCM, power train control module, controls a switchover solenoid (via vacuum) that opens the switchover valves. When the switchover valves are open and the Air Pump is running, atmospheric air is injected into the exhaust manifolds through a port in each cylinder head.
From the Student Reference Book

Old 11-29-2015, 07:08 PM

I've been through that thread a couple times, this is where I got the idea to replace the check valve originally. I'm trying to get all of the nickel and dime things done first before I start looking at new pumps I will get in contact with tighed1 and see if I can get this going.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:02 PM

I've been through that thread a couple times, this is where I got the idea to replace the check valve originally. I'm trying to get all of the nickel and dime things done first before I start looking at new pumps I will get in contact with tighed1 and see if I can get this going.
Did you check the ground wires?

Old 11-29-2015, 11:02 PM

Yes I checked the ground and it is snug and not corroded :/

Old 11-30-2015, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Did you check the ground wires?
Is there multiple wires for the ground? I only seen the one but I haven't done a whole lot of digging under the hood considering it's 20 degrees outside

Old 11-30-2015, 03:32 PM

Well here's an update, I highly doubt my cats are going out. My check engine light will be on for sometime and sometimes shuts off, I got lucky today and when it was off got my emissions tested and they passed. Next step is to legitamently fix the p0410.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:56 PM

Well here's an update, I highly doubt my cats are going out. My check engine light will be on for sometime and sometimes shuts off, I got lucky today and when it was off got my emissions tested and they passed. Next step is to legitamently fix the p0410.
If it was my car I would look at the RCM and see if the points are burnt. If they are burnt I would clean them and see if the CEL situation improved. This would only be a short term cure as they would burn again. If they are not burnt you could start the car with the inside of the RCM exposed and see if they peerage OK. At least this would tell you to look elsewhere for the problem.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:02 PM

If the points are burnt wouldn't they need resoldered? I think this is what Ala was referring to when he suggested sending it to tighed1. I will look around and see if I can't find a DIY on taking apart the RCM... I'm not familiar with it's location or how to dismantle it.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:16 PM

If the points are burnt wouldn't they need resoldered? I think this is what Ala was referring to when he suggested sending it to tighed1. I will look around and see if I can't find a DIY on taking apart the RCM... I'm not familiar with it's location or how to dismantle it.
The points are contacts on the solenoid that come together when the solenoid is activated by a current, the power circuit to the air pump is completed when they come together and the high amperage draw on the battery required by the pump is what can cause damage by the sparking beyween the two contact faces. If they are damaged they cannot be repaired easily so e solenoid is replaced. A careful cleaning will work for a while though.
The resoldering is done when the solenoid is replaced, the solenoid body is soldered to the mounting points on the board and the electrical contacts on the solenoid are soldered to the printed circuit board, this is what Tighed1 does.
The mystery no start thread explains the opening of the RCM, I supposed you had read that thread.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:18 PM

Haven't broken into that thread yet but sounds like I need to start. Is there any permanent fix? Or we just keep cleaning and replacing?

Old 11-30-2015, 06:24 PM

Haven't broken into that thread yet but sounds like I need to start. Is there any permanent fix? Or we just keep cleaning and replacing?
I do not know why they burn, I have had a Crossfire for 10 years and I have never had a problem. If they burn they have to be replaced, cleaning is just a temporary fix.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:37 PM

Sounds good, thank you for all the help/advice my xfires going into the garage for the winter as I live in Idaho and we are starting to see some snow. But either way I'd like to get this fixed before next spring, all I got to work on is the p0410 and a airbag light..

Old 08-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Re: Are my cats going out??

I searched around a bit and didn't turn up anything I thought was similar to my situation. Maybe I'm just really new to all this but I've had the p0410 code for some time now and haven't gotten to fixing it yet. I have to get my emissions test done soon but can't with the code on. So me being a bright guy I decided to clear the code, when I did this I noticed I have 2 more codes p0422 and another bank as well.Could the secondary air injection system problem be hurting my cats or is this just a whole other problem that I need to address? Thanks in advance for quick replies. Aaron
Yes it is. I'm replacing one of my rear cats at the performance muffler shop right now. This is the second replacement in less than a year. I replaced all four cats 6 months ago. Cats usually make a loud rattling noise when are bad.