Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Map Sensor changing

Old 10-21-2016, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map Sensor changing

I need to swap out my MAP sensor on a Roadster. I looked for instructions on the forum but may have missed them. Are there any pics from anyone? Thanks.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:09 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Map Sensor changing

from the manual this is for the NA:

OPERATION
The MAP Sensor monitors the pressure in the intake manifold. The pressure in the manifold moves a diaphragm connected to piezo resistors which alter their resistance values. The output voltage of the resistors serves as infor- mation to the PCM about the pressure in the intake manifold.
OPERATION - SRT
On the Supercharged 3.2L engine, the MAP serves as a PCM input, using a silicon based sensing unit, to provide data on the manifold vacuum/pressure that draws/pushes the air/fuel mixture into the combustion chambers. The PCM use the map data combined with the intake air temperature to determine the volume of air entering the engine.
REMOVAL
REMOVAL
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the engine cover. Grasp both corners of the engine cover, and pull up firmly.
3. Disconnect the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor harness connector.
4. Remove the retaining bolt (1).
5. Remove the MAP sensor.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:46 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Steve, I'm confused now.
I was always under the impression that ONLY the SRT6 had a MAP sensor.
The NA has the combined MAF/IAT sensor installed prior to the throttle body, and it is attached by those 2 weird screws that nothing ever seems to fit.

( MAF = Mass Air Flow, whereas MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure )

Am I wrong ?

EDIT ! EDIT ! EDIT ! YES, I AM WRONG !
The NA has BOTH a MAF and a MAP sensor, I just went and looked.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 10-21-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zip439
from the manual this is for the NA:

OPERATION
The MAP Sensor monitors the pressure in the intake manifold. The pressure in the manifold moves a diaphragm connected to piezo resistors which alter their resistance values. The output voltage of the resistors serves as infor- mation to the PCM about the pressure in the intake manifold.
OPERATION - SRT
On the Supercharged 3.2L engine, the MAP serves as a PCM input, using a silicon based sensing unit, to provide data on the manifold vacuum/pressure that draws/pushes the air/fuel mixture into the combustion chambers. The PCM use the map data combined with the intake air temperature to determine the volume of air entering the engine.
REMOVAL
REMOVAL
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the engine cover. Grasp both corners of the engine cover, and pull up firmly.
3. Disconnect the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor harness connector.
4. Remove the retaining bolt (1).
5. Remove the MAP sensor.
That instruction from the naturally aspirated manual is a gross over simplification.
The MAP sensor on an SRT6 is beneath and slightly forward and to the left of the throttle body. After removing the air cleaners and the throttle body, the temperature sensor, and the rubber Y on the intercooler, you can barely get a 1/4" wrench on the rear bolt, and turn it 1/4 turn at a time, then you must have a 1/4" drive universal joint, long extension, and a 1/4" socket to loosen the front bolt. It is much easier to remove the MAP sensor, then remove the connector. Don't break the small retaning clip on the connector. Then pull straight up on the MAP sensor, to remove it. The plastic nipple will most likely break off in the hole, and to remove it, you should get a long, slender screw driver and push it down through the hole, into the intercooler, where you can retrieve it with your fingers. There is nowhere for it to go when it falls into the intercooler, so don't worry about it getting lost in the bowels of your engine. You should have a telescopic magnet to remove the front bolt, because you can't get your fingers on it. When inserting the new MAP sensor, take great care to make sure the plastic nipple is inserted in the hole on the intercooler. To start the front bolt, you need one of those flexible, three fingered pick up tools, or a piece of plastic tubing that will fit snugly over the head of the bolt and allow you to reach in and start the bolt. It is very, very, very easy to break off the plastic nipple on the new MAP sensor, so be very careful and don't force it. When you replace the temperature sensor, clean it with some spray MAP sensor cleaner, not carburetor cleaner. It's available at your auto parts supplier. If I didn't already mention it, it is very, very, very easy to break off the nipple, thereby ruining your new MAP sensor. The job can be done in 3-4 hours if everything goes smoothly, but in my world it never goes smoothly. This is a frustrating job, but not incredibly technical.

Everyone suggests that you use only a Bosch, or OEM Mercedes sensors in our engines.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 AM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Andrew
That instruction from the naturally aspirated manual is a gross over simplification.
The MAP sensor on an SRT6 is beneath and slightly forward and to the left of the throttle body. After removing the air cleaners and the throttle body, the temperature sensor, and the rubber Y on the intercooler, you can barely get a 1/4" wrench on the rear bolt, and turn it 1/4 turn at a time, then you must have a 1/4" drive universal joint, long extension, and a 1/4" socket to loosen the front bolt. It is much easier to remove the MAP sensor, then remove the connector. Don't break the small retaning clip on the connector. Then pull straight up on the MAP sensor, to remove it. The plastic nipple will most likely break off in the hole, and to remove it, you should get a long, slender screw driver and push it down through the hole, into the intercooler, where you can retrieve it with your fingers. There is nowhere for it to go when it falls into the intercooler, so don't worry about it getting lost in the bowels of your engine. You should have a telescopic magnet to remove the front bolt, because you can't get your fingers on it. When inserting the new MAP sensor, take great care to make sure the plastic nipple is inserted in the hole on the intercooler. To start the front bolt, you need one of those flexible, three fingered pick up tools, or a piece of plastic tubing that will fit snugly over the head of the bolt and allow you to reach in and start the bolt. It is very, very, very easy to break off the plastic nipple on the new MAP sensor, so be very careful and don't force it. When you replace the temperature sensor, clean it with some spray MAP sensor cleaner, not carburetor cleaner. It's available at your auto parts supplier. If I didn't already mention it, it is very, very, very easy to break off the nipple, thereby ruining your new MAP sensor. The job can be done in 3-4 hours if everything goes smoothly, but in my world it never goes smoothly. This is a frustrating job, but not incredibly technical.

Everyone suggests that you use only a Bosch, or OEM Mercedes sensors in our engines.
The very first line of the post says it is for the NA. The SRT is only mentioned to show the difference.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this thread shows up on google when searching for map sensor location, I thought it might be ok to post the location of the map on a base crossfire(2004 at least).

Old 02-27-2020, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by nobodysprisoner
Since this thread shows up on google when searching for map sensor location, I thought it might be ok to post the location of the map on a base crossfire(2004 at least).
There are thousands and thousands of posts from this forum to be found when Googling.
Why don’t people download the Service Manual for their car model before asking such questions.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80
There are thousands and thousands of posts from this forum to be found when Googling.
Why don’t people download the Service Manual for their car model before asking such questions.

If someone needs help they come here to ask, if you don't like the question simply scroll past. If you cant help then don't. The forum was made to help the owners of our cars not dictate what they can ask on the forum.

The following users liked this post:
GraphiteGhost (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 12:56 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

But if they did, people like you and I would not look like towering geniuses.

But I do agree on one count: If you fancy yourself as a skilled 'gearhead', you embarrass yourself when you ask questions such as, "How do I route the belt around all these pulleys?" or "Does anyone know the size of the bolt holding the Crank Sensor?"

Of course, there ARE questions the service manual does not answer (or gives an incorrect or incomplete answer), that, we all must admit.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by minijunglekitty
If someone needs help they come here to ask, if you don't like the question simply scroll past. If you cant help then don't. The forum was made to help the owners of our cars not dictate what they can ask on the forum.
Nice first post, you’re going to fit in well.

The following users liked this post:
bluecoupe (02-24-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice first post, you’re going to fit in well.
I've has a Xfire for 7 years and I've been on the forums for that long until I made a new account bud, not new here. You're the unwanted keyboard warrior that is killing this forum. I wonder why the Facebook forum has more concurrent users than this forum now... Maybe its because the cranky old men like you, don't help, and rather dive in on someone that's either, trying to help, or is looking for help. Perfect example is the Mercedes Swap Shop. The guy who figured out the M113 Swap for our cars. He left and went to Facebook because of toxic chats.

Lets talk about your header
"It's nice to be important but important to be nice"
Practice what you preach buddy

Old 02-24-2021, 10:27 PM
Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

I've has a Xfire for 7 years and I've been on the forums for that long until I made a new account bud, not new here. You're the unwanted keyboard warrior that is killing this forum. I wonder why the Facebook forum has more concurrent users than this forum now... Maybe its because the cranky old men like you, don't help, and rather dive in on someone that's either, trying to help, or is looking for help. Perfect example is the Mercedes Swap Shop. The guy who figured out the M113 Swap for our cars. He left and went to Facebook because of toxic chats.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and from experience, I can understand where you’re coming from. But I will offer this (unfortunately with only a few posts you may not have had a chance to experience it yet) but I can 100% guarantee that when you’re stuck and in need of an answer, you’re going to hope 180 pipes up on that serious issue that has your car going nowhere

Don’t believe me, stick around for a while and watch the daily posts. There’s little that 180 can’t help you with.
Anyway, old guys get cranky. Didn’t you see Grand Torino. It’s just what happens.

We all have a curmudgeon in our lives. 180’s ours

Old 02-24-2021, 11:43 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanE
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and from experience, I can understand where you’re coming from. But I will offer this (unfortunately with only a few posts you may not have had a chance to experience it yet) but I can 100% guarantee that when you’re stuck and in need of an answer, you’re going to hope 180 pipes up on that serious issue that has your car going nowhere

Don’t believe me, stick around for a while and watch the daily posts. There’s little that 180 can’t help you with.
Anyway, old guys get cranky. Didn’t you see Grand Torino. It’s just what happens.

We all have a curmudgeon in our lives. 180’s ours
Probably not wise to keep poking him through the cage, it'll just make him meaner/
We like him at the current level of meanness.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:57 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Somewhere in Canada

Old 02-25-2021, 04:56 PM
Received 339 Likes on 299 Posts

22 years old and has had his Crossfire for 7 years, WOW.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:56 PM
Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Toolman
Somewhere in Canada

I’ve had the good fortune to have met 180 in person.

What an amazing likeness

looking forward to another dinner after the “Vid” has departed

Stay well D

Old 02-25-2021, 10:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

100% Well said.