Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Snapped the bolt on my transmission connector adapter

Old 12-29-2016, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Snapped the bolt on my transmission connector adapter

So the pentosin was for the tranny oil. Advance lists it for $19.99/ quart. The fluid chart at Advance said 8.5 for transmission fluid also, as well as the engine oil. I think their chart is off. I mentioned the differential because I plan on changing the rear differential oil, while I'm under there. I have read some threads on here that suggest it be changed at 50K miles. I am the second owner and not sure if it was ever done. Advance shows a 30K mile service for the rear end/differential.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

I recommend going ahead and replacing the conductor plate and transmission connector while you are in there also.
Here is a kit from Amazon for $118 :
https://www.amazon.com/APDTY-Transmi...-benz%3Aslk320

You will also need 5 liters of fluid, this is what I used :
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._rd_i=15724571

I used my topsider to suck out all the fluid, then marked the level with some tape on the outside of the topsider container so I could put back in exactly the amount I removed.
There will be a few ounces left in the pan when you remove it, add that to the topsider before marking the total level.

DO NOT USE THE tiny BOLT IN THE TRANSMISSION CONNECTOR TO TRY AND PULL THE CONNECTOR INTO SEATED POSITION, YOU WILL MOST LIKELY SNAP THE BOLT !!!!!!

There are uTube videos covering the entire procedure.

DISCLAIMER !!! I am a proactive kinda guy, I fix it before it fails. If you are a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type, just get a gasket, filter and the fluid.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 12-29-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:26 PM

Never as easy as it looks. Snapped the head off of the bolt holding the heat shield on the passenger underside of the transmission pan. Its the little one on the top. Ill give more info as the day progresses.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:11 PM

You guys and this forum are all GREAT! I changed the connector, conductor plate, filter and fluid for the tranny today. Every thing went smoothly, with the exception of snapping the head off of the bolt that holds the heat shield that's by the connector. I tapped it out and put a self tapping bolt in for now. I ordered a new nut and bolt from the Dodge store that will be here tomorrow morning. I'll swap them out this next weekend. Want the original parts for it if I can. Woody's zip tie measuring stick worked as described. I cant thank you all enough. I went super slow since it was my first time messing with a transmission. Took me all day lol.

Old 03-18-2023, 11:15 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Swampotter
Just an update for anyone who might need this question answered in the future...
if this ever happens to anyone, you have 1 of 2 choices.
1) Drop the transmission valve body and replace the conductor plate
2) Drop the transmission valve body and retrieve the snapped screw

I chose to replace the conductor plate because the car is new to me and it has 88k on the clock (and after seeing the mess I made, I never want to drop that transmission pan ever again).

I'm including a couple of photos to show the snapped screw and the pliers I used to retreive the broken screw. It was pretty easy to retrieve.

Now, if you do replace the conductor plate, take a couple of minutes and check that all the shift solenoids are functioning properly. I used this chart to check the resistance of all of mine.

Hope this info helps someone in the future.
I went the same route broken bolt , pulled down valve body a replaced conductor plate and nes electronic plug along with fluid , I highly recommend getting the dipstick so you can accurately measure fluid. Took about two hours to complete. Good luck.
Currently trying to figure out how water keeps getting in my blower motor soaking rugs on passenger side. Thoughts ???

Thanks to all 😎. Richb

Old 03-18-2023, 11:35 AM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

There are drains under the cowl in front of the windshield, Have you cleaned them? Do a search for disconnecting the alarm siren.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER
There are drains under the cowl in front of the windshield, Have you cleaned them? Do a search for disconnecting the alarm siren.
have had the cowl off twice drains all cleaned out
2 end drains blown out along with two center drains. Note sure seal at bottom of windshield is sufficient. The hunt continues 😜

Old 03-19-2023, 09:01 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by richb55
have had the cowl off twice drains all cleaned out
2 end drains blown out along with two center drains. Note sure seal at bottom of windshield is sufficient. The hunt continues 😜
I would pull the battery out and the plate it sits on. There is a vacuum hose under there that goes to the A/C blend door I believe. It could easily have been rotted out from the battery setting above it and could possible be a path for water to get into your passenger compartment.

Now that you have blown the drain lines out I would run water through them to be certain they drain properly and be sure the small rubber guard directly under the hinges is sitting in there properly.

Last edited by zip439; 03-19-2023 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by zip439
I would pull the battery out and the plate it sits on. There is a vacuum hose under there that goes to the A/C blend door I believe. It could easily have been rotted out from the battery setting above it and could possible be a path for water to get into your passenger compartment.

Now that you have blown the drain lines out I would run water through them to be certain they drain properly and be sure the small rubber guard directly under the hinges is sitting in there properly.
good info. So far so good 👍