Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Dual Intake?

Old 12-01-2016, 05:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Intake?

I'm looking to setup an aftermarket intake system in my Crossfire. Not sure what brand I'm going with yet as im still reading up on things.

I'm having trouble finding someone that did an aftermarket intake system on a 2004 Crossfire. It appears I have dual intakes stock... everything I've read or seen has had single intakes.

Is this rare? Do all 2004's have dual intakes? Is there anything I should worry about when swapping the system as it's a different system stock than most XF systems?

Old 12-01-2016, 06:31 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Dual Intake?

ALL Crossfires have dual air pipes and dual air filters, NA or SRT6.
The purpose of the aftermarket DCAI is to increase air flow.
NeedsWings.com has the best, although not the cheapest.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some early birds over here.

I think when people buy an aftermarket intake for a NA crossfire, they tend to lean towards the single cold air intake by NeedsWings. NeedsWings products are amazing quality, finish, and top notch performance gains. Prices are on the other hand are bit steep.

I'm not sure if the dual intake would be worth it on an NA if you only look at power gains. Would be best to do some research or wait for NA crossfire guy to chime in. They looking freaking awesome though!!

Old 12-01-2016, 08:30 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Cheapest intake mod is the Mercedes cover and 75 mm throttle body and MAF housing. Both mods are maximized with a tune.
CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-01-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

here are the intake options we offer...
NeedsWings Performance Products. Intake XF

Old 12-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

I would only advise to STAY AWAY from the WAI (warm air intake). These WAI's are the ones where the intakes are located INSIDE the engine bay (as opposed to the ones that intake the air from just behind the front grill). CAI = intakes right behind grill, WAI means wasted monies and warm air from inside the engine bay. Have fun!

Old 12-01-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
I would only advise to STAY AWAY from the WAI (warm air intake). These WAI's are the ones where the intakes are located INSIDE the engine bay (as opposed to the ones that intake the air from just behind the front grill). CAI = intakes right behind grill, WAI means wasted monies and warm air from inside the engine bay. Have fun!

oooooooh, you're in trouble now ! mrmiata is gonna jump all over you on that !

Old 12-01-2016, 03:05 PM
PNA

I have an NA and installed the dual cold air intakes from Needswings with a tune. The power gain is noticable, responsiveness of the tune certainly helps and the intakes look awesome. Definitely not cheap but in my view, worth the dollars. Here's a pic of mine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160515_131525.jpg (4.66 MB, 56 views)
Old 12-01-2016, 08:07 PM

For the price of the double cold air intake (DCAI) you could get the single cold intake (SCAI) and a tune. I think the feeling here is that the DCAI is a waste of money on an NA, I think Rob himself has mentioned that before.

Cheapest is the hot air intake.
The next cheapest is the Mercedes mod.
The next cheapest is the Mercedes mod and a tune.
The next cheapest is the SCAI and so on.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering converting it to just the single cold air intake rather than the dual only because of price... NeedsWings is a bit up there for that dual setup

How hard is it to convert/install?

Edit: What about the dual setup at the very bottom of this website? http://thecrossfirestore.com/Crossfi...Air_Intake.htm

Last edited by coryforman; 12-01-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by coryforman
I'm considering converting it to just the single cold air intake rather than the dual only because of price... NeedsWings is a bit up there for that dual setup

How hard is it to convert/install?

Edit: What about the dual setup at the very bottom of this website? Chrysler Crossfire Parts & Accessories Store Performance Air Intake and filters
That is a HOT air intake, or DHAI. Some say yes to it, most say no, you are better off with the OEM.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

"waste" is a terrible word and i have never said that. what i have said is that the dual does not produce twice the gains of the single. we usually see ~ 12hp with the CAI, and see ~18 with the DCAI with far increased efficiency. If there was no benefit for the DCAI, I would not offer it.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
"waste" is a terrible word and i have never said that. what i have said is that the dual does not produce twice the gains of the single. we usually see ~ 12hp with the CAI, and see ~18 with the DCAI with far increased efficiency. If there was no benefit for the DCAI, I would not offer it.
For 6 hp at the cost of $400 I would have to say it is a waste. That $400 would buy a tune and there would be thrice that gained in hp. So there would be more hp for the dollar.
I cannot ever remember seeing a dyno chart showing the hp increases, there is only so much air that an NA can gulp. Bench flow charts are fine but not real world.
Obviously the NW intake is a big improvement over the OEM intake with its corrugations which seriously hinder air flow. The double looks very nice, but in my mind it is too much icing on the cake.
I think for looks Valks engine looks the best, simple and classy.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-02-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
oooooooh, you're in trouble now ! mrmiata is gonna jump all over you on that !
Jump.. Naa.... I monitored my temps and made my decision.. Nobody here told me I shouldn't have bought my Tritoon and Travel trailer.. so spend your money where you want..

I "pieced" mine together before that "PHTune" version came out with Honda accord intake.. and only purchased 1 to test fit.. Located the "hot air" tube on the drivers side and left OEM setup on the passenger.. Less restriction on the drivers pulled more air and temps were about 15-18 over ambient.. "heat soak" from the plastic cover was reduced. Added the second tube and temps went back to stock range.. "sharing" the cooling between the two sides allowed heat soak of the cover. So to sum it up.. Obviously less restrictive.. and no loss of HP from increased intake temps.

And one last note.. My avalanche .. "hot air intake".. runs 3 degrees over ambient.. think maybe that TB at the front of the engine instead of hanging tubing over it makes the real difference? LOL

Last edited by Mrmiata; 12-02-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh.. and I will add to Franc's "first".. SRT6 single NW intake on the facebook page.. Hydro locked and a week later threw a rod.. per his description.. 12" puddle of water across the road. And yes Hydro locked.. when you pull the plugs and shoot water out.. there's not much doubt left.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Oh.. and I will add to Franc's "first".. SRT6 single NW intake on the facebook page.. Hydro locked and a week later threw a rod.. per his description.. 12" puddle of water across the road. And yes Hydro locked.. when you pull the plugs and shoot water out.. there's not much doubt left.
It was not Hydro locked, a dropped valve by all accounts.
Read all about it. CLICK

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-02-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:36 PM
PNA
Smile Re: Dual Intake?

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
Definitely not a waste. You still get more HP but not twice the gains for not quite double the price. I just think the symmetry of the DCAI is awesome and you do get a few more hp. Also, this thing sucks a lot of air and it sounds awesome. Always a personal choice but it was my choice and I'm not sorry for it

Old 12-02-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by PNA
Definitely not a waste. You still get more HP but not twice the gains for not quite double the price. I just think the symmetry of the DCAI is awesome and you do get a few more hp. Also, this thing sucks a lot of air and it sounds awesome. Always a personal choice but it was my choice and I'm not sorry for it
The double gets you 6 extra hp for $400, a EuroCharged tune nets around 18 hp at the wheels for that $400. Seems to me that for your $800 you get more for your dollar with a single. All figures are from claims and may or not have been substantiated. The gains are not cumulative anyway.
My car runs with the NW SCAI, NW coolant separation, NW oil catchcan and the Koni adjustable shocks from NW, these can make the ride softer than the NA if you want.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Damn,.....came over here to get away from politics and guess what?
Single, duals, homemade, custom made, quality made. The dual does perform a little better than the single...been there, done that, and no I didn't need a Dyno. Just a time slip. But, for an N/A. You are buying looks for the most part with the dual. The price is what it is because of the custom fabrication and quality of the bends you get especially the y-pipe. I have seen some one offs that look very good though. You get what you pay for. But to badger someone for buying a quality CAI because you think it is too much is as usual bullshit. The choices are out there, it's your money. Buy from Rob, buy from someone else, but you didn't design it, test it, nor spend the time to have a vender make it. And for what? 1 model of AMG and 1 model from Chrysler. Who does that? That is why it is so expensive. Rob has provided us with many parts that no one else would waste their time with. You have to respect that. If you think it is too much for you, well that's you, don't buy it. But many have and are pleased with the product at that price. Or we sure as hell wouldn't have bought it. Pretty simple really. Happy modding...

Old 12-02-2016, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
Damn,.....came over here to get away from politics and guess what?
Single, duals, homemade, custom made, quality made. The dual does perform a little better than the single...been there, done that, and no I didn't need a Dyno. Just a time slip. But, for an N/A. You are buying looks for the most part with the dual. The price is what it is because of the custom fabrication and quality of the bends you get especially the y-pipe. I have seen some one offs that look very good though. You get what you pay for. But to badger someone for buying a quality CAI because you think it is too much is as usual bullshit. The choices are out there, it's your money. Buy from Rob, buy from someone else, but you didn't design it, test it, nor spend the time to have a vender make it. And for what? 1 model of AMG and 1 model from Chrysler. Who does that? That is why it is so expensive. Rob has provided us with many parts that no one else would waste their time with. You have to respect that. If you think it is too much for you, well that's you, don't buy it. But many have and are pleased with the product at that price. Or we sure as hell wouldn't have bought it. Pretty simple really. Happy modding...
No badgering as the OP has already said the DCAI was too much money.