Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Transmission leak

Old 03-06-2017, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leak

Hi all,
I am having huge problems trying to find a replacement transmission oil cooler banjo bolt and seal/washer for my 2003 Crossfire. Every time I turn the engine on I get transmission fluid all over the garage floor leaking from the banjo bolt connecting the oil cooler pipe to the radiator. I suspect it's just the seal has gone but I'm finding it impossible to get a replacement in the UK. I've even tried the Mercedes dealer to see if I can obtain the 3.2 SLK equivalent to no avail. I haven't taken it apart yet so I'm not sure if I can make a replacement out of copper (?). But, before I start to make do and mend does anyone know where I could get one of these or if anyone has successfully managed to fabricate a replacement??
Thanks in anticipation

Old 03-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Transmission leak

Contact Rob at Needswings, Enjoy Woody

Old 03-06-2017, 07:34 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Re: Transmission leak

automatic or manual trans?

Old 03-06-2017, 07:35 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

on the trans itself or at the radiator?

Old 03-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
automatic or manual trans?
Be a automatic, manually doesn't have oil pressure.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you post some pics please?

Many banjo have copper washers, if you have tried to tighten it up and still leaks, you can get copper washers at some hardware stores, if they are not the exact size they are soft copper and easily made to exact size.

Have you checked the pressure?
Make sure you are not getting resistance somewhere which is raising pressures and made it leak?

Old 03-06-2017, 08:28 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Speedy4x4 missing post test..

Needswings was the last post showing.. I posted this comment.. refreshed the page.. boom.. two post showed up.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:26 AM

Thanks guys, it's an automatic with the leak at the transmission. I've eventually managed, after an afternoon on the web, to source the bolt from the US. Postage is more than the bolt, but never mind. Can't source the seal anywhere but will get the old one off and see if, as suggested, I can get something I can use from a hardware store. Good suggestion re the pressure, let's hope that's not the problem as that sounds like a big job!

Old 03-08-2017, 05:52 AM

Just to close this off. Took the banjo bolt out after jacking up the left hand passenger side (UK, right hand drive motor!), luckily no transmission fluid lost as I assume it's all loaded the other side, but will be checking the levels very carefully when done. Banjo bolt is ok but the seals looked a bit rough and have sourced them in the UK from Peter at Chrysler Crossfire parts and accessories (also at Chrysler PT Cruiser parts and accessories). A useful resource for parts in the UK and saves the international postage costs from the US.
Thanks again to everyone for helpful advice.