Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

carbureted v8 swap?

Old 09-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbureted v8 swap?

i've had this idea in my head to swap out the engine in my crossfire(if it ***** out at some point) with a carbureted v8, maybe a small block like a 318. i'm not a fan of all this computerization in cars; i like keeping things simple. its mostly just an idea i've been bouncing around in my head and just looking at what kind of overhead would be needed to de-computerize the crossfire.

i'm sure no motor will just drop right in, and it won't bolt on to the tranny(which is fine if i ever do a motor swap i'm converting it to a standard tranny). i am not too experienced in fuel injection; carburetors are my thing. i've seen a hemi dropped in so with some work i could get a v8 to fit in.

i know it sounds insane and will probably cost tons of money even if i do it myself, but humor me :P

Old 09-20-2016, 06:12 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: carbureted v8 swap?

You won't be the first... hemi's, chevy's, and MB's..... So yes it is doable and only as expensive as you make it. Keep us posted on how it works out.... Nothing like big motors in small cars....lol.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't imagine it would be worth the trouble. The electronics alone would be very difficult to sort out.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:57 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

just about have to use the wiring harness with the motor being installed, which means most of the old wiring in the car is useless.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not even going to address the wiring issues (but they would be immense, not impossible, but immense).
The "HEMI" engined Crossfire has a completely different subframe from what I understand.
Somebody installed a small block Chevy into a XF once so I would think a small block Chrysler would probably fit. But if you're going to go to all that trouble, you might as well go with a 360 motor.
These cars are selling for rock bottom prices now, they make an excellent light weight platform for the back yard mechanic to play with. Small light weight "coupes" have always been desirable for decades. It wouldn't surprise me to see more "Hot Rod" Crossfires showing up as the years go by.
But plan on keeping it for a long time, I think it would probably be a little hard to sell.