Crossfire V8 conversions A section to discuss anything about a Crossfire modified with a V8 Engine

v8 swap options

Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default v8 swap options

Hello I'm new here and was wondering what mb v8s are compatible with the crossfire the supercharged v8 seems a little pricey what are my options. I see we have sk8terjosh that has figured out the ecu problems. And if I have to ill get the amg but a v8 with more power than my V6 would be great by me. I'm simple like that. Thanks guys!!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: v8 swap options

Wecome aboard!

I am not trying to be rude, but you just came on and asked the most complicated question you can about the car as if you were asking what type of oil it took. None are 'compatible' with the car and all have their own issues, issues that certain builders have spent years perfecting, so I am not sure they will give you all the answers...

There are literally hundreds of pages on the subject, so no shortage of reading material. In this aspect, the search function will be your friend.

Be ready to spend, at minimum, $10K unless you can do everything yourself and have a star DAS system, which I am assuming you do not. This is not for the weekend warrior.

I am not trying to turn you off on the idea, just let you know it is not like installing a CAI

Old 04-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Wecome aboard!

I am not trying to be rude, but you just came on and asked the most complicated question you can about the car as if you were asking what type of oil it took. None are 'compatible' with the car and all have their own issues, issues that certain builders have spent years perfecting, so I am not sure they will give you all the answers...

There are literally hundreds of pages on the subject, so no shortage of reading material. In this aspect, the search function will be your friend.

Be ready to spend, at minimum, $10K unless you can do everything yourself and have a star DAS system, which I am assuming you do not. This is not for the weekend warrior.

I am not trying to turn you off on the idea, just let you know it is not like installing a CAI
All do respect I'm a mechanic and I understand the difficulties that one would face in such swap. The meaning of my questiquestion was more on the side if what 8 more plausible or at least common between them all. I have good friends at AMS tuning. They have all the equipment I would need for special things like ecu tuning and modifications. Just a general question on what my best option was. I'm not short of money 10k would touch some of my previous projects. I got the crossfire for little to nothing and just looking to improve it while keeping it functional. I could easy drop all electronics and turn it in it a say hotrod but I'm looking for something more in depth. Thank for the reply.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by crostality
All do respect I'm a mechanic and I understand the difficulties that one would face in such swap. The meaning of my questiquestion was more on the side if what 8 more plausible or at least common between them all. I have good friends at AMS tuning. They have all the equipment I would need for special things like ecu tuning and modifications. Just a general question on what my best option was. I'm not short of money 10k would touch some of my previous projects. I got the crossfire for little to nothing and just looking to improve it while keeping it functional. I could easy drop all electronics and turn it in it a say hotrod but I'm looking for something more in depth. Thank for the reply.
All due respect but saying you are a mechanic says nothing, a guy who changes oil thinks he's a mechanic, just as lot boys who buy a wrench from the Snap-On truck figure they are mechanics.

These days mechanics look at a computer and get told what parts to change and some end up changing more than they need to in many cases. In essence what should be a precision strike becomes a case of carpet bombing.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
All due respect but saying you are a mechanic says nothing, a guy who changes oil thinks he's a mechanic, just as lot boys who buy a wrench from the Snap-On truck figure they are mechanics.

These days mechanics look at a computer and get told what parts to change and some end up changing more than they need to in many cases. In essence what should be a precision strike becomes a case of carpet bombing.
Bud I'm sure your a fountain for mechanical knowledge I'm just looking to take something different with us to the buschar dam and evolution shootout this year for the X track it's in a c

Old 04-17-2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

Bud I'm sure your a fountain for mechanical knowledge I'm just looking to take something different with us to the buschar dsm and evolution shootout this year for the X track it's in a couple months. We push out custom applications all day long. Look up or 1500 horse gtr you'll like it. I'll just go somewhere else for the simple and quick answer. From the looks of it it's been done only a few times so people should be happy to see more but I guess not.

The following users liked this post:
Misfitcrossfire (12-27-2020)
Old 04-17-2014, 03:58 PM

Best of luck in your endeavor!

Keep in mind, there have only been a FEW people on the entire planet that have gotten these to work, and there have been many, many more who have tried and given up. Have you heard about the turbo 'god' Corky at Begi (Bell Engineering)? (if you are into custom stuff and are in the industry I am sure you have) He has had an XF for 2 years, taken deposits on a turbo kit and is no where near figuring out an ECU solution, 26 months later.

I am not bashing anyone or their abilities, but less than 1% of those who have tried have been successful. Unless you enlist one of the ones who have been successful, you will spend 10K on the electronics portion alone and it still will not work...

Just my $0.02

Old 04-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered the srt-6 or are you set on a v8?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Bud I'm sure your a fountain for mechanical knowledge I'm just looking to take something different with us to the buschar dsm and evolution shootout this year for the X track it's in a couple months. We push out custom applications all day long. Look up or 1500 horse gtr you'll like it. I'll just go somewhere else for the simple and quick answer. From the looks of it it's been done only a few times so people should be happy to see more but I guess not.
I am not a fountain of auto knowledge, far from it, but I'm guessing that I know more about the Crossfire than you. It has its quirks and it's the quirks that will get you every time.

Mechanical knowledge is my strong point.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Well all of the M112's and M113's bolt up lol. The exhaust manifold fab can be overwhelming, I sell sets. The AC compressor mounting can be annoying. The wiring is the biggest nightmare you'll deal with other than ECU work if you tried. Flywheel and clutch will depend on what year motor you buy. The 4.3's and 5.0's are the best IMO because they have so much potential compared to the 5.4 NA. Obviously the 55K is the way to go, but good luck lol. From an NA, that's going to be a huge job, and I haven't quite got the electronics to work for a manual yet. Like everyone said, do your research, come to me with a game plan, and I'll let you know if it's a good idea or if you need to find something else, or add more to your list.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by whoosh
The crossfire I bought is a limited. Got it at the auction for 4 flat. Found a couple complete donor cars ranging from 3 to 4 k each all are an option.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
Well all of the M112's and M113's bolt up lol. The exhaust manifold fab can be overwhelming, I sell sets. The AC compressor mounting can be annoying. The wiring is the biggest nightmare you'll deal with other than ECU work if you tried. Flywheel and clutch will depend on what year motor you buy. The 4.3's and 5.0's are the best IMO because they have so much potential compared to the 5.4 NA. Obviously the 55K is the way to go, but good luck lol. From an NA, that's going to be a huge job, and I haven't quite got the electronics to work for a manual yet. Like everyone said, do your research, come to me with a game plan, and I'll let you know if it's a good idea or if you need to find something else, or add more to your list.
K I'll know here in a week what I'm available to buy. Found a couple wrecked cars for potential donars

Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 AM
Forum Regular

Problems? No. Just swap.
Maybe you'll need a little more than 10 K bucks. But no problem.

For example this 5.5 N/A was a "little" bit more the 10k euro for the conversion - in the end.
Just go for it.

Regards

Last edited by bigblock427; 04-23-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by whoosh
I would consider the srt6 if I can match Up the manual trans???? And don't know what else I'd have in it

Old 04-23-2014, 04:01 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the clutch holding up to these engine swaps or have they been burning out? Since there has been some miles being put on the cars with conversions how's the maintenance?

Old 04-23-2014, 05:41 PM

I would consider the srt6 if I can match Up the manual trans???? And don't know what else I'd have in it
Manual conversion is possible, but honestly a motor swap into a manual would be cheaper and easier. I could build you a 32 AMG ECU to run the manual in a day.

Originally Posted by Beaner
Is the clutch holding up to these engine swaps or have they been burning out? Since there has been some miles being put on the cars with conversions how's the maintenance?
If you're talking about the manual conversions, Jim's (JimmySkullz) is doing good, but since he's on the smaller C230 flywheel and clutch, he'll have to move to the 07-08 Crossfire flywheel and clutch at some point. He actually get's slip.

Mine, with the bigger Crossfire flywheel and clutch, is doing great. I think I have 5,000 miles on the conversion so far. The clutch is the stocker with 76,000 miles on it and anyone on my FB knows how I drive lol. Abuse is putting it lightly and it's fine. This is why I think it would hold the 55K motor but that's never been done and a little sketchy to gamble with.

The only other person that could have input lives in Germany and isn't active on the web much, so we don't even know if everything works, if he crashed it, how it's holding, if he has mods, nothing.

HDDP had the SRT motor with a C230 flywheel and a SPEC clutch. Even with mods, that trans, I guarentee was not going anywhere, even with abuse.

There is a guy with a ??CLK500??, I think, with a manual but Jimmy would know more about his than I would.

As it stands, I would put money on the Crossfire's 6-speed manual and stock clutch to hold any motor other than the 55K, 63, V12's etc... As soon as I do a swap for someone with a 6-speed I will be putting money on it, because I give a warranty on the flywheel and clutch I throw in, which will be stock unless the customer feels they want a beefier one, which in my opinion is overkill.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So do we have an Srt6 with a manual trans out there? What happens with the throttle closing during shifts, or with the gear ratio programing issues, rev limiter, etc, etc? I don't doubt you one bit Josh, just curious as hell.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Forum Regular

Yes, SRT6 conversions with MT have been done. But there are some problems. The transmission is designed for 400 Nm. The SRT6 engine will produce 460 Nm, or more. The clutch itself is not the problem. There are reinforced clutches available on the market. Main problem is the dual mass flywheel. There's no reinforced version available. So, it works in general, but livetime is defintely limited. We have a 5.0 MT test car over here in germany. The dual mass flywheel was ready for the scrap heap after about 12 K miles.

Regards

Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by bigblock427
The dual mass flywheel was ready for the scrap heap after about 12 K miles.

Regards
Thank you for that info, I am very curious to see how Josh's holds up under his heavy foot

Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by tunaglove
So do we have an Srt6 with a manual trans out there? What happens with the throttle closing during shifts, or with the gear ratio programing issues, rev limiter, etc, etc? I don't doubt you one bit Josh, just curious as hell.
I know of one SRT with a manual, including the German forum Markus refers to below... HDDP's. Good luck on info about reliability lol.

I'm not sure what you're asking? It runs like it came that way from the factory. My ECU's aren't rigged or anything lol.

Originally Posted by bigblock427
Yes, SRT6 conversions with MT have been done. But there are some problems. The transmission is designed for 400 Nm. The SRT6 engine will produce 460 Nm, or more. The clutch itself is not the problem. There are reinforced clutches available on the market. Main problem is the dual mass flywheel. There's no reinforced version available. So, it works in general, but livetime is defintely limited. We have a 5.0 MT test car over here in germany. The dual mass flywheel was ready for the scrap heap after about 12 K miles.

Regards
Number one, the trans is rated for 370 nm (272 ft-lbs) Markus . The SRT stock is less than that, but the 5.0 is 460 nm.

Now if that's Phil, that's not true Markus. Plus, I've talked to a minimum 3 companies about our dual mass that would know and they all say the same thing. That 50-60 lb chunk of metal isn't going anywhere, and will hold a ton more than even a 55K motor...

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Thank you for that info, I am very curious to see how Josh's holds up under his heavy foot
Let's put it this way. With what I was told from people who know this flywheel and clutch setup, it's built like a tank. If you have ever seen the setup in person your jaw would drop. It takes two people to position it on the motor. The Crossfire's flywheel is seriously THE LEAST problematic area of the entire car. Why do you think Rudy is building a clutch not a flywheel for my setup that is goal oriented for twice the torque I currently have .

I will seriously put good money on Phil doing all of the following if he seriously went through a flywheel: Rode the clutch all day everyday, it was a C230's, launched in second, and no cool down after heavy use. Guarenteed.

Quick Reply: v8 swap options