Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

crankshaft sensor

Old 08-18-2014, 03:58 PM
bmr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankshaft sensor

what kind of tool(s) would I use to remove the bolt on the crankshaft position motor? Thanks in advance

Old 08-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Re: crankshaft sensor

Originally Posted by bmr
what kind of tool(s) would I use to remove the bolt on the crankshaft position motor? Thanks in advance
Down load this and see the tools required.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Forum Regular

This is an excellent post. Photos make the job so much easier for fat-fingered mechanics like me.....if I can borrow the job title for the weekend. My Crossfire has stalled 3 times in the last 3 days, with subsequent Check Engine light. Very long cranking required to restart each time. Pep Buys read the code which translated to Crankshaft Sensor Position A. Was worried there would be 3 or 4 sensors, and be impossible to get to, as opposed to merely hard to reach and pinch.

Appreciate your wisdom and excellent photography onehundred80. Will post results.....if successful.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 450 Likes on 317 Posts

To anyone buying a crankshaft sensor be sure to buy ONLY the Bosch brand
Others will not work and you will still have issues

https://www.germanautosupply.com/sto...sensor-86.html

Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VALK

I fully endorse getting the Bosch if it's available ..

In a bind though.. well my Advanced Auto one is going on 2 1/2 years without missing a beat. With a lifetime free replacement. Others haven't been so lucky.. but if I have to make a choice of wrecker or sitting on the road... or heading to the parts store...

Plan ahead and buy that Bosch though!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

You may get lucky with the Borg Warner CPS, some do, I didn't. Bosch seems to have a greater success rate with replacement CPS's. It hurts me to admit this. Which ever you use, be sure the connector is clean and properly assembled.

Les

Old 08-29-2014, 10:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VALK

AutohausAZ has it for $34.86

Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s)

Old 08-31-2014, 06:32 PM
Forum Regular

Any ideas for someone without the finger strength to pinch the connector and pull at the same time? I have rather small hands, but still getting chewed up by the shield next to the sensor and the edges of the engine. My son hasn't been able to do it either. Doesn't matter which sensor I get if I can't even removed the bad one.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:11 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

FIRST of all, you CAN remove the connector AFTER you take the screw and sensor out - I thought of that AFTER I struggled and broke the retaining latch on the connector.

Try taking the screw out first, then pullling out the sensor/wire harness as one assembly.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Of course, you will drop the bolt - so maybe put some tape or something in the socket to try to increase grip....

Old 08-31-2014, 11:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Of course, you will drop the bolt - so maybe put some tape or something in the socket to try to increase grip....

Yep.. break the bolt loose.. then a piece of duct tap over the top with the socket should make a snug fit and hold the bolt.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:57 AM
Forum Regular

Pizzaguy and Mrmiata, thanks for the guidance. It's worth a try. Duct tape over the bolt head....very creative. I'd thought about trying to pull the unit out as an assembly, but didn't want to risk cracking the sensor connector. Sounds like others have met with success. I'll let you know how I make out.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Forum Regular

Sometimes I need to kick myself. Assistance is requested, assistance is freely given, but sometimes not ALL of the advice is followed. You see, I had already purchased the Crankshaft Position Sensor from Pep Boys. They told me it was a Borg Warner part, so I assumed German was German, and bought it. AFTERWARDS, multiple members advised against anything but Bosch.

Turns out, the part was made in Taiwan, and didn't work. My Crossfire stalls occasionally with the bad sensor, but wouldn't start at all with the BWD part. At least I now have several deinstall/reinstall episodes under my belt, and will now search diligently for a locally sourced Bosch part....and I promise to follow all instructions in the future.

By the way, super easy to extract the sensor with the lead still attached. In fact, I get two hands in there, crack the bolt loose with the ratchet, then use just the extensions while raising the sensor with the other hand. The screw comes out with the sensor and connector. On reinstall, I use a small bit of packing tape around the socket and the bolt, it grips well, and is thinner, and cheaper than Duct tape.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (1.35 MB, 11 views)
Old 09-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by markr6754
Sometimes I need to kick myself. Assistance is requested, assistance is freely given, but sometimes not ALL of the advice is followed. You see, I had already purchased the Crankshaft Position Sensor from Pep Boys. They told me it was a Borg Warner part, so I assumed German was German, and bought it. AFTERWARDS, multiple members advised against anything but Bosch.

Turns out, the part was made in Taiwan, and didn't work. My Crossfire stalls occasionally with the bad sensor, but wouldn't start at all with the BWD part. At least I now have several deinstall/reinstall episodes under my belt, and will now search diligently for a locally sourced Bosch part....and I promise to follow all instructions in the future.

By the way, super easy to extract the sensor with the lead still attached. In fact, I get two hands in there, crack the bolt loose with the ratchet, then use just the extensions while raising the sensor with the other hand. The screw comes out with the sensor and connector. On reinstall, I use a small bit of packing tape around the socket and the bolt, it grips well, and is thinner, and cheaper than Duct tape.
Try cleaning the contacts on the old CPS. Some say the problem may lie in poor contacts. Pull the plug on and off a few times and spray with contact cleaner if you have any.
'They' say the contacts on the non Bosch parts may have larger holes in the socket and not fit the cable connector too well.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Also, wipe the "probe" end off - there was a guy here who theorized that metal flakes and etc. on the probe were confusing the sensor inside.

You may be wasting your time looking locally - try autohaus.com and germanautosupply.com (as well as Amazon - but they steal your identity and kill butterflies).

You want a Bosch
0 261 210 170

The Mercedes number is
003 153 27 28

Use either of those numbers in a search on those sites and you'll be fine - don't let it bother you that it won't mention fitting a Crossfire.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 09-01-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Forum Regular
Smile Re: crankshaft sensor

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Also, wipe the "probe" end off - there was a guy here who theorized that metal flakes and etc. on the probe were confusing the sensor inside.

You may be wasting your time looking locally - try autohaus.com and germanautosupply.com (as well as Amazon - but they steal your identity and kill butterflies).

You want a Bosch
0 261 210 170

The Mercedes number is
003 153 27 28

Use either of those numbers in a search on those sites and you'll be fine - don't let it bother you that it won't mention fitting a Crossfire.
Sorry about the butterflies....I could get it faster and a bit cheaper from Amazon. Bought 2 to have one on hand against a future failure. Successfully started car and checked that codes were cleared. Made it 46,779 miles on the original, hoping for the same or better on the Bosch replacement.

Could not (would not) have done it without support from this forum. Thanks to all for direct and moral support.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by markr6754
Made it 46,779 miles on the original, hoping for the same or better on the Bosch replacement.
I think you'll find that the original was a Bosch part.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:05 PM

Lowe's item# 240856 Kobalt 23pc Star Bit set, $35.97+tax and a bit of non-conduction grease
Shop Kobalt 23-Piece 3/8-in Drive Torx Driver Socket Set with Case at Lowes.com

Last edited by cartoonguy2002; 09-06-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Forum Regular

I made the mistake of buying 3/8" Torx set first. It didn't fit. Perhaps it could if you can get the sensor off first. I had to return and buy the 1/4" set.

I kept both sizes, in case I need greater torque on future Torx bolts, but definitely vote for the 1/4" socket for this task.