Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Tuned or not?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tuned or not?

I haven't tore into the car to check.. but does any of "the other" tuners label or sticker the ECU when you send it in ? Checked with Eurocharged and the new roadsters vin isn't in the database.. but she just seems to run out better than the wife's did when it was stock.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Tuned or not?

Don't know about the other tuners, but if they are remote, there obviously will not be a sticker on anything.

Also consider that various members who have been dynoed have varied by 20 or more HP in stock form, it appears some are just stronger than others...

Old 10-21-2014, 03:01 PM
PNA

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I haven't tore into the car to check.. but does any of "the other" tuners label or sticker the ECU when you send it in ? Checked with Eurocharged and the new roadsters vin isn't in the database.. but she just seems to run out better than the wife's did when it was stock.
Mine was remote tuned but I did put the Eurocharge sticker on my ECU. Eurocharge would likely know if it was tuned if you provide them with the VIN though. They have to have it to do the baseline for the car.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Don't know about the other tuners, but if they are remote, there obviously will not be a sticker on anything.

Also consider that various members who have been dynoed have varied by 20 or more HP in stock form, it appears some are just stronger than others...
There has to be a reason for this variance as the N/A which were machine made should pretty much be identical, no??
In an SRT6 I could see the difference I guess as much of it was handcrafted by AMG. Could it be due to different filters and fluids used in the N/A of those owners??

Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

In my experience, NOTHING is ever exactly 'identical'.
Nature ( and mechanics ) will always have slight deviations.

Yea, I see you said "pretty much" - forgive my ramblings.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 10-21-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Nature ( and mechanics ) will always have slight deviations.

Yea, I see you said "pretty much" - forgive my ramblings.
Not rambling at all. I totally get there is always margin for deviations but 10%?? Sounds like a lot to me.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Nature ( and mechanics ) will always have slight deviations..
How the car was "broke-in" can have a lot to do with it as well.
If the car is driven hard when it's new, the engine tends to be looser than one that was driven a little more gently.
Unfortunately, their life expectancy isn't quite as long as one that was broke-in less aggressivly.
Now I'm not saying ALL engines that out perform their counterparts have been mistreated in their early lives. I'm just saying it can be a contributing factor in some cases.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the response guys.. and as noted I had contacted Eurocharge on the vin. They would probably want to charge me to look at my file if I hooked up and sent in for them to look over.. LOL. As best as I remember my coupe pre tune and TB along with wife's fairly recent updates.. this car just has more go under the hood for some reason.. and it may vary well be "that car" that wins out of 10 stock ones in a race.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Not rambling at all. I totally get there is always margin for deviations but 10%?? Sounds like a lot to me.

When I purchased my 1969 AMX new in Jan. 1970, it was a left over. I could have saved 17% of the cars price if I would have let a Factory Rep put the 1st. 500 miles on it, thus making it a "Factory Official" car.
In other words previously titled to AMC.
I really thought about doing it because $500.00 was a lot of money in 1970.
My Dad, (the Dealer's manager) advised me against it, because the Reps were known for not being very gentle with their factory supplied vehicles.
I went ahead and took my Dad's advice and paid the full price.
An old coworker of mine purchased a mechanically identical car to mine, and got a better deal, from my Dad because it was one of the "Factory Official" cars.
He kept the car perfectly stock, just like I did, and a few years later we accidently ran into each other at the drags, and with nothing more than a pair of slicks, he was running a full second faster than I was.
A couple years later, I ran into him again and he told me with just a little over 50k on the engine it blew up. Said he'd never buy another AMC, a "stock" 13 sec. automatic....AMC.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:53 AM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts

Thanks for the response guys.. and as noted I had contacted Eurocharge on the vin. They would probably want to charge me to look at my file if I hooked up and sent in for them to look over.. LOL. As best as I remember my coupe pre tune and TB along with wife's fairly recent updates.. this car just has more go under the hood for some reason.. and it may vary well be "that car" that wins out of 10 stock ones in a race.

I have driven twenty or so different NA's over the years and have to say some were a dam sight peppier than others.

We helped Sharko's wife buy an 04 six speed. bone stock and it was stronger and peppier than mine after Eurocharge did their first tunes. We could never figure out why but anyone who drive Debbie's red coupe had the same comments. when crumpy was looking for her own Crossie we drove at least ten local cars for sale. Most were wimpy in comparison to mine. I was amazed at the difference. However, having dynoed none of them, it was pure butt meter calibrations.

I'm still a little mad that Sharko sold that coupe without giving me a chance to buy it. Sometimes they just get one right. It was one of those.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:55 AM
PNA

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
I have driven twenty or so different NA's over the years and have to say some were a dam sight peppier than others.

We helped Sharko's wife buy an 04 six speed. bone stock and it was stronger and peppier than mine after Eurocharge did their first tunes. We could never figure out why but anyone who drive Debbie's red coupe had the same comments. when crumpy was looking for her own Crossie we drove at least ten local cars for sale. Most were wimpy in comparison to mine. I was amazed at the difference. However, having dynoed none of them, it was pure butt meter calibrations.

I'm still a little mad that Sharko sold that coupe without giving me a chance to buy it. Sometimes they just get one right. It was one of those.
I believe I have one on the "peppier" ones as well. When I was going to purchase one I drove a number of NA cars, and have since done so. I told all my car club guys, why bother Eurocharging mine because I was damn happy with it the way it was. I decided to Eurocharge it and put the needswings DCAI on it as well. it went from me being quite happy with it at stock to ..........wow, I'm glad I did the mods too. No it's not an SRT6, but boy it is sure a blast to drive.........responsive, quick solid in the curves and exhilerating to drive at "speed". All cars are different. How they are broken in, how they are maintained........etc. etc.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:06 AM

Another important thing to keep in mind is the throttle reset procedure. I have noticed that when people are unaware of the procedure, the cars tend to be quite a bit more sluggish because the throttle/ECU supposedly adapts to your driving style, and every single time I reset mine I notice a difference and I have the ECU tune, sprint booster and most other mods out there...

Old 10-24-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Another important thing to keep in mind is the throttle reset procedure. I have noticed that when people are unaware of the procedure, the cars tend to be quite a bit more sluggish because the throttle/ECU supposedly adapts to your driving style, and every single time I reset mine I notice a difference and I have the ECU tune, sprint booster and most other mods out there...
I have yet to feel a difference when doing that!

Old 10-24-2014, 04:05 PM

I have yet to feel a difference when doing that!
Nick, maybe your style of driving is aggressive enough to keep your cars engine management system in "Hyper mode" all the time. So when you reset it, the ECU thinks you just want to slow down.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Nick, maybe your style of driving is aggressive enough to keep your cars engine management system in "Hyper mode" all the time. So when you reset it, the ECU thinks you just want to slow down.
I've been known to have a pretty heavy food
Just last week I got the Eurocharged tune done on my car and just for you guys I'm going to do the throttle reset one more time to see if it makes any difference at all!

Old 10-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Johnny beat me to it. This little car does have memory, and throttle resets don't always work the first time. So, you really do have to reset and drive the hell out of it for awhile. hard launches, and all. It will start to perform better.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been known to have a pretty heavy food
Just last week I got the Eurocharged tune done on my car and just for you guys I'm going to do the throttle reset one more time to see if it makes any difference at all!
It took a few weeks before I could tell that the tune was working , just drive it you will start to see and feel some power change in shifting and pull , it like the motor is adjusting itself to the tune , so go out and drive it and have some fun IT WILL GET BETTER WITH TIME

Old 10-25-2014, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Osofast2
It took a few weeks before I could tell that the tune was working , just drive it you will start to see and feel some power change in shifting and pull , it like the motor is adjusting itself to the tune , so go out and drive it and have some fun IT WILL GET BETTER WITH TIME
Sorry I think I worded this wrong. The TUNE is amazing. I felt a difference right away and I could not be more happy. I was talking about the throttle reset not making a difference to me in the past. But you know what, I have not reset it since getting the tune so maybe if I do that now I will feel a noticeable difference. Sounds like I might just take 'er out for a spin today!

Old 11-05-2014, 09:16 PM

Well was out and about with the top down today.. and realized I still had my blue tooth OBD in the car. When I did the tune on my coupe I showed a gain of 11 HP at the wheels per Torque Pro for a total of 171 HP. The roadster hit 169 HP.. Inmotion sent me an email yesterday morning asking for my phone number.. Have yet to get a call.. LOL.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:16 AM
PNA

Well was out and about with the top down today.. and realized I still had my blue tooth OBD in the car. When I did the tune on my coupe I showed a gain of 11 HP at the wheels per Torque Pro for a total of 171 HP. The roadster hit 169 HP.. Inmotion sent me an email yesterday morning asking for my phone number.. Have yet to get a call.. LOL.
Wow. Curious, where in the heck can you chance going 169 mph? I know Kentucky has a ton of straight rural roads and highways, but at that speed, you cover a lot of ground really quickly and come up on other cars (and potential for cops) really fast...........................

Quick Reply: Tuned or not?