Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Power Steering Fluid

Old 10-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid

So i called my local Chrysler dealership today looking to buy some CHF11S after my dcai install and the employee told me the part number for that which is 5127381AA is superseded in his computer and now giving him the part number 68088485AA does anyone know if this would be safe to put into my car?

Old 10-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Power Steering Fluid

I don't know but Reilly has -chf11s- my area 25/qt.

The new number looks like PS fluid for Mopar.

Try Mercedes for the right stuff.

Last edited by arejohn; 10-22-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Forum Regular

Message to arejohn: measure twice, cut once.

FLUID. Hydraulic, Power Steering. .

Hybrid (Pentosin 11s). [16oz] Minimum Ship Quantity 4.
Stock Code 68088485AA ; 05098158AA; 05127381AA; 05127381AB; 68065924AA; 68068618AA Manufacturer Chrysler Categories Steering > Power Steering Pump; Steering > Power Steering Pump and Reservoir Assemblies Power Steering Pump; Power Steering Pump And Reservoir; Power Steering Pump And Reservoir, SRT; Power Steering Reservoir

Old 10-23-2014, 08:24 AM
PNA
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gblack32
So i called my local Chrysler dealership today looking to buy some CHF11S after my dcai install and the employee told me the part number for that which is 5127381AA is superseded in his computer and now giving him the part number 68088485AA does anyone know if this would be safe to put into my car?
I did my DCAI install in the summer and had to buy some as well. I found it at NAPA. About $22 dollars. Here's some on partsgeek for under $20. It's the same stuff I bought and it is the CHF11S. You can find in in a number of different auto stores.

2004-2008 Chrysler Crossfire Power Steering Fluid - Pentosin W0133-1850220 - - PartsGeek.com

Here it is at PepBoys: http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...nlyStore=false

Always call to make sure it's in stock.

Last edited by PNA; 10-23-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:50 PM

Hey, maybe this is a very basic question but I would really love to know what is the Pentosin CHF 11S deposit in my 2006 Crossfire. I heard this is not for the Power Steering fluid, because a friend of mine that also owns a Crossfire said this was like a 'sealed deposit'. Can you please direct me on what this Pentosin deposit is for? (Checking it, it seems that it is low on 'oil'.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Pentosin CHF is the proper fluid for the power steering pump, as well as the top hydraulic pump on roadsters.
Mobil1 0w/40 is the proper engine oil for all MB 3.2 engines.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Pentosin CHF is the proper fluid for the power steering pump, as well as the top hydraulic pump on roadsters.
Mobil1 0w/40 is the proper engine oil for all MB 3.2 engines.
I need to add power steering fluid but where can I see the level indicating the maximum ?? Should it be half filled? My dipstick is not touching any at this moment????

Old 10-30-2015, 06:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by janaiy
I need to add power steering fluid but where can I see the level indicating the maximum ?? Should it be half filled? My dipstick is not touching any at this moment????
Mine's in storage for the winter, but as I recall there are markings on the cap dipstick with level indicators dependant on fluid temp.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by harbor
Mine's in storage for the winter, but as I recall there are markings on the cap dipstick with level indicators dependant on fluid temp.
Yes there are markings (grooves) in the dipstick on the power steering fluid cap
The cap also tells you which fluid you need to use

Prestone also makes the correct fluid for our cars
It is available in most automotive stores nationwide

Prestone CHF 11S
European Power Steering Fluid AS268Y-6: Advance Auto Parts

Old 01-05-2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by VALK
Yes there are markings (grooves) in the dipstick on the power steering fluid cap
The cap also tells you which fluid you need to use

Prestone also makes the correct fluid for our cars
It is available in most automotive stores nationwide

Prestone CHF 11S
European Power Steering Fluid AS268Y-6: Advance Auto Parts
Is it OK to mix the Prestone with The CHF-11s? My PS fluid is a bit low right now however it says that the CHF 11s is a green color and the fluid that is currently in there does not appear green.

I was planning on buying the prestone equivalent and just topping it off but I have heard on some other forums not to mix power steering fluids.

If only I knew which fluid was currently in there...

Thoughts?

Old 01-05-2016, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by millerzrule22
Is it OK to mix the Prestone with The CHF-11s? My PS fluid is a bit low right now however it says that the CHF 11s is a green color and the fluid that is currently in there does not appear green.

I was planning on buying the prestone equivalent and just topping it off but I have heard on some other forums not to mix power steering fluids.

If only I knew which fluid was currently in there...

Thoughts?
Both fluids are synthetic and meet the 11S spec, so topping off with Prestone should be fine. If you're not sure what fluid is currently in your car, you may want to consider using a turkey baster/suction pump to suck out the reservoir and top off with Prestone.
If it were mine, however, I'd stick with Pentosin. Just a personal preference.

Last edited by harbor; 01-05-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:23 PM

Both fluids are synthetic and meet the 11S spec, so topping off with Prestone should be fine. If you're not sure what fluid is currently in your car, you may want to consider using a turkey baster/suction pump to suck out the reservoir and top off with Prestone.
If it were mine, however, I'd stick with Pentosin. Just a personal preference.
Do we know if the color of the Pentosin chf-11s was ever changed during manufacturing? What's in the reservoir now is sort of a light orange color.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by millerzrule22
Do we know if the color of the Pentosin chf-11s was ever changed during manufacturing? What's in the reservoir now is sort of a light orange color.
My '07 had green fluid from day one, and the 2-3 year old bottle of Pentosin I have is green.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:35 PM

My '07 had green fluid from day one, and the 2-3 year old bottle of Pentosin I have is green.
Hmmmm... Guess I will just try to get what I can of the old stuff out and fill it with fresh Pentosin.

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-13-2016, 08:17 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

I don't believe color is relevant. The DOT ( yep our government at work again) has dictated the colors of fluids used in automobiles. The ATE blue racing brake fluid is no longer as DOT forced them to stop using blue dye and dictated yellow/amber. This is posted in a letter on the ATE website. Seems the DOT thinks it is less likely to cause confusion and errors in placing an appropriate fluid in the correct reservoir if we have a systematic color scheme.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:04 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by zip439
I don't believe color is relevant. The DOT ( yep our government at work again) has dictated the colors of fluids used in automobiles. The ATE blue racing brake fluid is no longer as DOT forced them to stop using blue dye and dictated yellow/amber. This is posted in a letter on the ATE website. Seems the DOT thinks it is less likely to cause confusion and errors in placing an appropriate fluid in the correct reservoir if we have a systematic color scheme.
It makes sense to standardize the colors of fluids like this. With the influx of immigrants, legal or otherwise, and the illiterate there is very large group of functionally illiterate people out there. This law may save your car from having the wrong blue fluid put in your brakes, power steering or cooling system. Mind you I am not holding my breath on that.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:23 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
It makes sense to standardize the colors of fluids like this. With the influx of immigrants, legal or otherwise, and the illiterate there is very large group of functionally illiterate people out there. This law may save your car from having the wrong blue fluid put in your brakes, power steering or cooling system. Mind you I am not holding my breath on that.
I guess that is why you guys up there are still part of the Crown. As one from the lower 48/50 I don't need the government telling me what color of fluid to put into my transmission,
brakes or even my mouth; it is just a bunch of busy bodies with nothing constructive to do. If I allow someone other than myself to put a fluid into my car, that's on me. I'm not "yanking" your leg 180, but I just couldn't help myself!

Last edited by zip439; 01-13-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never used Mobil ! motor oil in my SLK32 AMG. It may have been good back in 2001 but there are many good synthetics available now that are superior to Mobil 1. I use penzoil in the silver container made from natural gas, have for 2 years with no issues. Currently my power steering pump is leaking. I am using Barrs leak guaranteed for ALL makes even the pesky Honda. Once I tighten the top 4 torx screws on the top of the pump itself I am quite confident the leak will stop with the barrs red synthetic stop leak. Worse case is I have the pump replaced as the shop suggested but barrs guarantees success.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:08 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet2002
I have never used Mobil ! motor oil in my SLK32 AMG. It may have been good back in 2001 but there are many good synthetics available now that are superior to Mobil 1. I use penzoil in the silver container made from natural gas, have for 2 years with no issues. Currently my power steering pump is leaking. I am using Barrs leak guaranteed for ALL makes even the pesky Honda. Once I tighten the top 4 torx screws on the top of the pump itself I am quite confident the leak will stop with the barrs red synthetic stop leak. Worse case is I have the pump replaced as the shop suggested but barrs guarantees success.
So you reckon that Mobil has not improved its oil since 2001?
No corporation can afford to rest on its laurels. I am sure there are other good oils out there that do as good a job and maybe better. I doubt we could notice any difference in our cars though despite someone here saying their gas mileage improved with brand X oil in the engine. Honest, someone said that here.