Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Muffler Question?

Old 02-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler Question?

Hello everyone,

I have been on these forums looking around for some time, but never posted that many threads. I am really new to all this stuff. Which being said, I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

I love cars, and love my Crossfire, but while I love cars I do not know too much about them. I know more less of the basics but nothing like most of you.

So I am need of some help badly.

I am wanting my Crossfire which is a 2006 Crossfire Limited Automatic to make a very nice sound that I wanted for some time. I am more of a sporty type of car dude, and prefer the noise that sport cars make. I don't wanted something that sounds like a big truck. I want something that sounds luxurious and sporty. It would be really cool if it could make the sound when I turn the key and start the engine, the noise makes a cool start up noise aswell.

I saw two videos of Crossfire's with mufflers which I quite like the noise off (posted below). I am not sure if they have a exhaust with the muffler or just the muffler if that is possible? If I only get a muffler would the car be the way I want it to be? I am not looking to spend that much money, which is why I do no want a exhaust. I would rather get the muffler if it does the job I want.

Any help would be so helpful. As said I am new to all this so excuse if these are nooby questions.

Here are the videos:

Old 02-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Default Re: Muffler Question?

I removed the two secondary cats. I like the sound. Its quiet on idle and cruzing on the highway. Its fairly loud when floored. Factory muffler. Don't get that nice sound the Megan has at startup.
I have read here some people get engine drone at highway speeds with aftermarket muffler.
How loud do you want to get?
If you like the sound of the megan, get the megan.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Snake Eyes
I removed the two secondary cats. I like the sound. Its quiet on idle and cruzing on the highway. Its fairly loud when floored. Factory muffler. Don't get that nice sound the Megan has at startup.
I have read here some people get engine drone at highway speeds with aftermarket muffler.
How loud do you want to get?
If you like the sound of the megan, get the megan.
Thanks for the reply mate.

I want to get the Megan, but my friend said the Megan one is not the way to go. He knows more about cars than I do, so I always consider his opinion.

As for loud, I don't want it to loud. I want it to sound sporty and just give it a extra boost. I want it to sound nothing like a big trunk so making a awful noise.

Is their anything else that gets the nice sound at startup?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Have a look at the Borla cat-back ( or OBX Racing - Chinese Borla copy )

Old 02-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts

Magnaflow Catback
I have one and love the sound and look
Here is a video sound clip - Not mine but the sound is great
Simple bolt on design with no modifications to the exhaust pipes or hangers

Last edited by Valk; 02-22-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by VALK
Magnaflow Catback
I have one and love the sound and look
Here is a video sound clip - Not mine but the sound is great
Simple bolt on design with no modifications to the exhaust pipes or hangers

Ligne MagnaFlow Chrysler Crossfire - YouTube

Wow thank you mate!

That is on point. I love that!

Where can I buy it?

Is it legal however? I know if you cut some pipes it might be illegal or whatnot.

Many thanks again.

Last edited by LE Cross; 02-23-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:11 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LE Cross
Wow thank you mate!
That is on point. I love that!
Where can I buy it?
Is it legal however? I know if you cut some pipes it might be illegal or whatnot.
Many thanks again.
It's perfectly legal. You're not cutting any tubing. It's a direct fit. All cats remain intact. The piping you see all the way back to the flange is what comes with the muffler and is part of the catback system. You simply unbolt the OEM setup and slap this one on. This model is for the N/A only. There's a different model for the SRT.
Average price runs around $700, but check out the price here...

http://www.oscaroparts.com/Universal...4QYaAqU_8P8HAQ

Last edited by syfi; 02-23-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:14 AM

Also sold by one of our long standing forum members here who owns his own company and distributes the magnaflow system
Contact Rob at

http://www.needswings.com/

Last edited by Valk; 02-23-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by syfi
It's perfectly legal. You're not cutting any tubing. It's a direct fit. All cats remain intact. The piping you see all the way back to the flange is what comes with the muffler and is part of the catback system. You simply unbolt the OEM setup and slap this one on. This model is for the N/A only. There's a different model for the SRT.
Average price runs around $700, but check out the price here...

http://www.oscaroparts.com/Universal...4QYaAqU_8P8HAQ
Is that price for just the muffler, or exhaust aswell mate?

Old 02-23-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by VALK
Also sold by one of our long standing forum members here who owns his own company and distributes the magnaflow system
Contact Rob at

Performance auto parts & aftermarket auto accessories for your car, specializing SRT4, Crossfire SRT6, SLK32, C32 AMG, VR-4
Thanks mate.

Is it for muffler and exhaust or just muffler?

Old 02-23-2015, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by LE Cross
Is that price for just the muffler, or exhaust aswell mate?
P/N 16633 is the entire kit (muffler and piping). Site below also includes the install sheet.
The one I showed from oscaroparts is the exact same kit as the one Valk showed, but mine is $200 cheaper w/ free shipping
and free 365 day hassle free return policy!

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Last edited by syfi; 02-23-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:53 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I have Magnaflow's on both of my Crossfires and would recommend them. As they are cat back installs there are no legal/emissions issues.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by syfi
P/N 16633 is the entire kit (muffler and piping). Site below also includes the install sheet.
The one I showed from oscaroparts is the exact same kit as the one Valk showed, but mine is $200 cheaper w/ free shipping
and free 365 day hassle free return policy!

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles
Gotcha, that makes sense.

Thanks for the help mate!

Do I install this myself or take it to the shop and get it done? What would be a good price for them to install it?

Originally Posted by Toolman
I have Magnaflow's on both of my Crossfires and would recommend them. As they are cat back installs there are no legal/emissions issues.
Cool cool mate. Thanks!

How much did you pay for the Magnaflows and Installation?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:14 PM

If you have some car ramps to back the car up onto to make more room under the back you probably can do it yourself
The hardest part is attaching the 2 round rubber donut ring hangers onto the metal rods on the back of the muffler where the exhaust tips come out.
It helps to have someone help you as well to be sure the exhaust tips are straight and centered on the back of the car

I paid a local private owned muffler shop to install mine for $75 US dollars

Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 PM

I went the same route as Valk. Was much easier doing it on a lift. Took maybe 45 min for complete install.
And like Valk stated, the donuts were the only part that was a PITA due to lack of room to get a proper tool in there!

Old 02-24-2015, 01:18 AM

Wow, thanks guys!

The help is amazing.

So if im correct, it won't add or subtract performance? It will only add noise?

Old 02-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought both mufflers used. The first one was from a listing by a local forum member. He installed it and his wife did not like the louder sound, so he took it off. I purchased it from him in 2009 for $320 and picked it up in person. Back then there was a seller giving forum members a special price on the Magnaflows for $350. I have not heard of anyone getting that price for years. The second one was a lucky find last year. An auto dismantler (junk yard) listed a car for parts on craigslist. I saw the round muffler tips in the listing and knew it had the Magnaflow. They sold and shipped the muffler for $220. That muffler was definitely on the car for several years and showed it but it works.

I installed both mufflers. I did the first one myself and took about an hour in total. It was on the roadster, so I had to loosen and move two braces under the car out of the way. The second one on the coupe took longer as the flange bolts were badly rusted and two broke and had to be drilled out. In addition one of the two O ring hangers near the back/tips fought my son and I for about another 1/2 hour before we could get it on the hanger/hook.

Last edited by Toolman; 02-24-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Toolman
I bought both mufflers used. The first one was from a listing by a local forum member. He installed it and his wife did not like the louder sound, so he took it off. I purchased it from him in 2009 for $320 and picked it up in person. Back then there was a seller giving forum members a special price on the Magnaflows for $350. I have not heard of anyone getting that price for years. The second one was a lucky find last year. An auto dismantler (junk yard) listed a car for parts on craigslist. I saw the round muffler tips in the listing and knew it had the Magnaflow. They sold and shipped the muffler for $220. That muffler was definitely on the car for several years and showed it but it works.

I installed both mufflers. I did the first one myself and took about an hour in total. It was on the roadster, so I had to loosen and move two braces under the car out of the way. The second one on the coupe took longer as the flange bolts were badly rusted and two broke and had to be drilled out. In addition one of the two O ring hangers near the back/tips fought my son and I for about another 1/2 hour before we could get it on the hanger/hook.
Wow, you got some good deals their mate!

Thanks for the help.