Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

Exhaust Drone Megan RS

Old 02-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust Drone Megan RS

Many members have had this issue and Jim F. might have a good solution so I'm posting this.

I installed the Megan RS muffler a few years ago and deleted the stock resonator. It sounds great but without the baffles the exhaust comes with, the drone is too much. With the baffles, it's not as loud as I would like.

Jim is doing this on his exhaust:
I already have it, I just haven't gotten around to welding everything up yet. I got the short (12in) from YONAKA, which is about 16 in overall and beautifully polished. I, too, am going from 21/4 s into a single 3in with the resonator being the 3 in model. I am having to do a lot of work to polish the rest of the system to come up to Yonakas' level.

This might be the perfect solution for those of us who have already trashed the stock resonator. Jim, please let us know your results.

Now I just have to find a place in Austin that can weld up stainless and is open on a Saturday

Old 02-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust Drone Megan RS

I deleted the rear cats and "H" pipe and inserted a "X" pipe. No drone. I have the resonator intact and deleted the lead-weight muffler also. Sounds very civilized until WOT then sounds like an uncorked Ferrari! But no drone at all in the cabin. All sound is distinct out the rear. Got mine here: 2.25 in. SS version

http://mandrelbendingsolutions.com/x-pipes/

Last edited by syfi; 02-24-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi
I deleted the rear cats and "H" pipe and inserted a "X" pipe. No drone. I have the resonator intact and deleted the lead-weight muffler also. Sounds very civilized until WOT then sounds like an uncorked Ferrari! But no drone at all in the cabin. All sound is distinct out the rear. Got mine here: 2.25 in. SS version

X-Pipes - Mandrel Bending Solutions

Syfi,
When you removed the rear cats and H pipe, did the pipe spacing on this x pipe line up perfectly or did they have to add in pipe from the down pipes to the new x pipe?

Can you post a pic?

Did you have it welded or flare the pipe ends and clamp as someone suggested?

Any issues with removing the rear cats? I don't think they have oxygen sensors right?

I'm really thinking about going this route.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2015, 01:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by meh03
Many members have had this issue and Jim F. might have a good solution so I'm posting this.

I installed the Megan RS muffler a few years ago and deleted the stock resonator. It sounds great but without the baffles the exhaust comes with, the drone is too much. With the baffles, it's not as loud as I would like.

Jim is doing this on his exhaust:
I already have it, I just haven't gotten around to welding everything up yet. I got the short (12in) from YONAKA, which is about 16 in overall and beautifully polished. I, too, am going from 21/4 s into a single 3in with the resonator being the 3 in model. I am having to do a lot of work to polish the rest of the system to come up to Yonakas' level.

This might be the perfect solution for those of us who have already trashed the stock resonator. Jim, please let us know your results.

Now I just have to find a place in Austin that can weld up stainless and is open on a Saturday
Right at the moment, I am working on how to get the proper angles to connect to the muffler. After cutting the back CATs out I will install 2 45 angles onto the down pipes, then use clamps when I go into the Y pipe. This is the best place for a separation in the system. The Y pipe, resonator into muffler will be one piece. An added advantage is the weight savings! I wont know how much until I get it all done. This may take awhile, as the polishing of the entire system takes some time. I have been sanding with progressively finer paper up to 2k then using buffing wheels and compound up to the white stuff. I still am a little short of the polish YONAKA puts on their products but it's pretty close.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Right at the moment, I am working on how to get the proper angles to connect to the muffler. After cutting the back CATs out I will install 2 45 angles onto the down pipes, then use clamps when I go into the Y pipe. This is the best place for a separation in the system. The Y pipe, resonator into muffler will be one piece. An added advantage is the weight savings! I wont know how much until I get it all done. This may take awhile, as the polishing of the entire system takes some time. I have been sanding with progressively finer paper up to 2k then using buffing wheels and compound up to the white stuff. I still am a little short of the polish YONAKA puts on their products but it's pretty close.
As stated before an "X" pipe in place of the rear cats and "H" pipe solves the problem completely. I deleted the muffler and have the OEM resonator in place and NO drone what-so-ever.
From Magnaflow:
X-Pipe features a gentler radius, which allows for better exhaust gas scavenging, noise cancellation and better balance between cylinder banks, resulting in a significant increase in power and torque.
meh03, I didn't witness the install. I just dropped off my car and picked up later. The rear cats don't have O2 sensors so no problem removing them. They told me the install was pretty straight forward. I'll have a look later to see exactly how they installed it.

Last edited by syfi; 03-28-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi
As stated before an "X" pipe in place of the rear cats and "H" pipe solves the problem completely. I deleted the muffler and have the OEM resonator in place and NO drone what-so-ever.
From Magnaflow:

meh03, I didn't witness the install. I just dropped off my car and picked up later. The rear cats don't have O2 sensors so no problem removing them. They told me the install was pretty straight forward. I'll have a look later to see exactly how they installed it.

I don't want to be quite that loud, that's why I'm keeping the stock muffler. While I am deleting the CATs and resonator, the resonator is being replaced with a smaller inline one. I'm hoping for a deeper and only a little louder sound.