Engine, Exhaust, Transmission and Differential Post questions here that have to do with the engine, cooling system, air intake, exhaust, Transmission and Differential

V8 swap 4.3 question

Old 03-25-2015, 01:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 swap 4.3 question

I was just offered a free 4.3L v8 engine from his CLk , he even offered to help me install it with a buddy of his, my total cost might be around 1000 bucks , after researching the engine , it puts out 275-hp @ 5,750 rpm
Torque 295 lbs.-ft. @ 3,000 rpm

compared to our stock engines, decent upgrade, my engine last dynod at 223hp , and 284lbs of torque, this endeavor may run me approx 1000 bucks, is this worth the time and money for the power? its not a huge increase, but if the engine can be further upgraded its a different story, is the engine worth looking into or just wait for a 5.0 and shell out the cash? also this should bolt straight up to my stock transmission as it is shared by the clk and crossfire. your thoughts guys? i need to make a decisoin rather quick and i did search, most posts are about the 4.3 amg engine and 5.0

Old 03-25-2015, 06:55 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: V8 swap 4.3 question

You should send a PM to Josh about this. ( sk8erjosh09 )

Old 03-25-2015, 09:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's a lot of trouble to go through for only about a 50 hp increase, and I'm not even talking about getting into the computer. (Talk to Rudy about that).
You're adding weight to the front end, so it will have an effect on your handling, and I don't think there are any more performance options available for the 4.3 engine than there are for the 3.2.
Of course I don't know how many miles are on your current engine, but unless it's over 250k, I wouldn't even be concerned.
There have been several Crossfire engine swaps performed here on the forum, and with the exception of the 3 performed by Rudy and Tazz, I can only think of one other that was considered a success. The others seemed to be completed, and then put up for sale soon afterwards. Leading one to believe the end result was less than desired.
You're young and full of energy, and I have no doubt between you and your friends you could get the swap completed, but if it's your only ride, be prepared to make other transportation arrangements for awhile. Because getting everything sorted out will take some time.
I just think once you get the car completed, you will find very little "seat of the pants" improvement over what you currently have, that's all. Just my two cents. Good Luck with what ever you decide to do.

Last edited by +fireamx; 03-25-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:00 AM
Forum Regular

so thats where im at , its alot of trouble for 50 hp, and a motor that cant really be squeezed any more, so the idea is pretty much dont do it right? wait for a 5.0 to come around?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:04 AM
Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
I think it's a lot of trouble to go through for only about a 50 hp increase, and I'm not even talking about getting into the computer. (Talk to Rudy about that).
You're adding weight to the front end, so it will have an effect on your handling, and I don't think there are any more performance options available for the 4.3 engine than there are for the 3.2.
Of course I don't know how many miles are on your current engine, but unless it's over 250k, I wouldn't even be concerned.
There have been several Crossfire engine swaps performed here on the forum, and with the exception of the 3 performed by Rudy and Tazz, I can only think of one other that was considered a success. The others seemed to be completed, and then put up for sale soon afterwards. Leading one to believe the end result was less than desired.
You're young and full of energy, and I have no doubt between you and your friends you could get the swap completed, but if it's your only ride, be prepared to make other transportation arrangements for awhile. Because getting everything sorted out will take some time.
I just think once you get the car completed, you will find very little "seat of the pants" improvement over what you currently have, that's all. Just my two cents. Good Luck with what ever you decide to do.
listen with both ears.!!
Rudy built my car in 2010 and it has over 400 1/4 mile runs + can't count the streetracingmadesafe runs, yes i have made changes/improvements it is still the worlds fastest crossfire,in the 1/4 mile 10.65 @ 130,, oh like some of the v8's mine is not for sale. ( mike there are 4 of them now and # 5 in the works.) ( we did one here in Miami) Rudy came down to do the important and stuff only Rudy knows how and what to do. conclusion if you want a v8 in your crossfire ,get RUDY! jim

Old 03-26-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
listen with both ears.!!
Rudy built my car in 2010 and it has over 400 1/4 mile runs + can't count the streetracingmadesafe runs, yes i have made changes/improvements it is still the worlds fastest crossfire,in the 1/4 mile 10.65 @ 130,, oh like some of the v8's mine is not for sale. ( mike there are 4 of them now and # 5 in t he works.) ( we did one here in Miami) Rudy came down to do the important and stuff only Rudy knows how and what to do. conclusion if you want a v8 in your crossfire ,get RUDY! jim
Jim you do realize I was referring to the cars built by Rudy, and Tazz, also the non supercharged "500" built by Lantana as being the successful cars. Right?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by falshami
so thats where im at , its alot of trouble for 50 hp, and a motor that cant really be squeezed any more, so the idea is pretty much dont do it right? wait for a 5.0 to come around?
Falshami, I don't know what it is you're shooting for. Is your current engine all stock, or have you made some mods? Do you just want a little more power, or are you trying to build a drag racer? If drag racing is your ultimate goal, there's a better gear ratio in the works, and that one change alone will make even a bone stock Crossfire perform much better.
I know turning down a perfectly good (larger engine) is pretty much like looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I honestly don't see that much improvement in performance for the work involved from that engine.
You said you planned on spending at least $1000 for the engine swap, and that same $1000 may be better spent by purchasing a new differential that would definitely make a noticeable improve in performance.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going to "GO".... Go big or Go home. i made an offer on a SL55 5.5 Supercharged but they wouldnt take it. I didnt want to spend 5g's on a motor with 90k miles and only a 30 day warranty.

Last edited by Trenzman; 03-26-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Red face Re: V8 swap 4.3 question

Originally Posted by amx1397
listen with both ears.!!
Rudy built my car in 2010 and it has over 400 1/4 mile runs + can't count the streetracingmadesafe runs, yes i have made changes/improvements it is still the worlds fastest crossfire,in the 1/4 mile 10.65 @ 130,, oh like some of the v8's mine is not for sale. ( mike there are 4 of them now and # 5 in the works.) ( we did one here in Miami) Rudy came down to do the important and stuff only Rudy knows how and what to do. conclusion if you want a v8 in your crossfire ,get RUDY! jim

I'm guessing this is not a "total" count.. Josh has at least 2 V-8's built and Steve has his E55..

Old 03-28-2015, 05:41 AM
Forum Regular

so my decision has been made, not getting the 4.3 , just not worth it, however i may be getting a 5.0 or 5.5 amg as a hand me down. i dont recall exactly , i want to look into this because that would be a worthy engine. i have so far done the eurocharged and bigger throttle body, i dynoed at 194.6 to the wheels and 278 ft.pounds of torque to the wheels, i am curious as to the differential, anyone have any recommendations? i dont mind having a car that will do 140 instead of 160 if it means a quicker off the line and 0-60 time , plus... ive never even come close to 160. so i see it as a pointless number, id like to just keep up with nissan zs of its time.nothing more, i dont expect this car to be a drag racer, or a world champion, just my little hot rod to roam around town with impress girls with and soothe my testosterone induced ego. as it is i am very happy but squeezing a bit more out would be great! i am currently considering lighter rims and a sprint booster as my next mods and for fun an electric exhaust cut out , id love more performance mods however.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Trenzman
If your going to "GO".... Go big or Go home. i made an offer on a SL55 5.5 Supercharged but they wouldnt take it. I didnt want to spend 5g's on a motor with 90k miles and only a 30 day warranty.
I think mine cost just over 8g's and with less miles, worth every penny!!!
Cheap solution to a fast car with endless power is a mustang or corvette.
Otherwise spend a bit more and mod the car you want!

The amg 5.5L komp is the way to go in a crossfire. No regrets here.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want something different and fast...and a handful, by all means do the V-8 swap and hopefully Josh or Rudy is available to help. I love beaner's build, Tazz's will be my favorite only because it is a roadster, and Jim's which is a monster in itself. Lantana was the pioneer...great looking car, and don't forget there are other out there that are cool too. I just haven't been to see them yet. I have been in Jim's even before Jim...lol, and certainly Tazz's... They are a handful and I mean a very fun handful, like the old muscle cars but on steriods lol...

Old 03-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I read somewhere that one of the SRT6 /x V8 transplants was up for sale recently....asking somewhere in the 40k's region...??
I also recall in that the 726 tranny was worked to handle the xtra hp as well.

This thread is all about an NA SRT though....not sure the chassis + drive train and all is the same as in the SRT6 - especially the brakes etc.
Maybe start with an SRT6 first and then consider.

I understand the SLK32's (mine) are little more limited in engine bay space and hence the V8's are almost an impossibility - but I could be wrong.
I'd love a 3500lb car with 400whp, some have already achieved that with the SRT6 just through stacked boost.
Traction eventually will kill a 2 wheel drive car with more than that power/weight in the end.
An SLK55 Kleemann would be nice...but rare and $$

Old 03-29-2015, 10:55 AM
Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy22Bob
I think I read somewhere that one of the SRT6 /x V8 transplants was up for sale recently....asking somewhere in the 40k's region...??
I also recall in that the 726 tranny was worked to handle the xtra hp as well.

This thread is all about an NA SRT though....not sure the chassis + drive train and all is the same as in the SRT6 - especially the brakes etc.
Maybe start with an SRT6 first and then consider.

I understand the SLK32's (mine) are little more limited in engine bay space and hence the V8's are almost an impossibility - but I could be wrong.
I'd love a 3500lb car with 400whp, some have already achieved that with the SRT6 just through stacked boost.
Traction eventually will kill a 2 wheel drive car with more than that power/weight in the end.
An SLK55 Kleemann would be nice...but rare and $$
Billy22,, your memory is good but i will help you a little LOL.. yes it is my car that is always up for sale $40,000.00 look it up worlds fastest crossfire now 10.65 @ 130, and the wife drives it to the grocery store.
the tranny is not a upgraded srt 6, the sl55 tranny lasted for about two years then i bought a tcu from ???? (not Rudy) anyway in less than 50 ft my tranny was slipping in every gear,, RUDY found a tranny, special case, had it shipped to me then he flew down ,,rebuilt my tranny,, Oh the srt6 tranny and the most v8 trannys the same. I had to relocate the tranny mount because this tranny was not a bolt in as most of the v8 tranny are ,,, the tranny i have now was built for 800 to 1000 hp,,, srt6 brakes are good for the v8 swap( not the limited) when u get to my hp/car, you better get better brakes, i upgraded to larger brakes and i change my brake fluid every year. jim

Last edited by amx1397; 03-29-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my memory is all I have ATM - I made the comment to someone the other day....last year I spent 6000hrs away from home...I was lucky enough to get paid for 2500 of them....
the year before was pretty much the same...
never home for such fun projects (or practical research) - but it's always possible to calculate / remember them.....
Always nice to get in the car and hook it when home though...

Old 03-29-2015, 05:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with a 500 engine (5.0L) You wont be disappointed.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:25 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmySkullz
Go with a 500 engine (5.0L) You wont be disappointed.
I think you are right. All Tazz had to do was mash the throttle and you would break loose. Mine are now kind of that way. I am not stacked either. I guess you can have too much HP in some cases. But in another light, the old Vipers were no different. And they were fun to try and corral. Each to their own. But if Rudy were available and closer, I probably would have been bitten by the bug. I will stay with mine for now. I guess a 10 year old car could use an updated motor in an N/A. But the electronics kind of limit your choices. But I know a Chevy V-8 has been done...and a small block Chevy will fit...So a small block Ford, some Chrysler v-8's not hemi's, although there was a hemi done... So the choices are numerous if you have the know how.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
I think you are right. All Tazz had to do was mash the throttle and you would break loose. Mine are now kind of that way. I am not stacked either. I guess you can have too much HP in some cases. But in another light, the old Vipers were no different. And they were fun to try and corral. Each to their own. But if Rudy were available and closer, I probably would have been bitten by the bug. I will stay with mine for now. I guess a 10 year old car could use an updated motor in an N/A. But the electronics kind of limit your choices. But I know a Chevy V-8 has been done...and a small block Chevy will fit...So a small block Ford, some Chrysler v-8's not hemi's, although there was a hemi done... So the choices are numerous if you have the know how.
Very true Doc, Im putting a 55k engine in my SRT as we speak :-) Im really looking forward to getting it all finished up. But I can say, the N/A v8 6spd I have has been a Blast, perfect balance/power for an everyday driver.