Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Windshield Wiper Malfunction

Old 10-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Malfunction

Hello all...new member here. I have a '05 Xfr coupe. The day after I bought it (2 weeks ago), I started having a problem with the windshield wipers. When I'd start the car, they'd turn on...wipe 5 or 6 times...then stop where ever they happen to be, usually laying across the windshield. It takes quite a few tries to get them to lay correctly. I made an appointment to have em fixed and of course, they stopped malfunctioning the day before. I brought it in anyways and was told they couldn't reproduce the problem. It started up again last week...and stopped the day before the appointment. Maybe the car's afraid of the garage...lol. Anyways...when the wipers are malfunctioning, they do the same thing no matter what position the switch is in...it'll run 5 or 6 times and stop.

I was hoping maybe someone has had this problem or might have a idea why it's happening. I plan on bring the car directly to the dealer next time it happens.

Thanks for your help

Old 10-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Windshield Wiper Malfunction

Forget about going to the dealer. Try an exorcist.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't had that problem with the Crossfire but did in another vehicle. It was a short in the wiring harness inside the steering column.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:18 PM

The exact same thing is happening to me right now. I took it to the dealer and they said they installed a new wiper/multifunction switch. Picked the car up and that same day it did the same thing. Now I have to go back. I'm very frustrated. They can't duplicate the problem. Not that it should make any difference if I'm telling them exactly what is happening. Them seeing it is not going to change the facts! Did you ever get your problem fixed. Please let me know. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:55 PM

Apparently the exorcist worked. Soon after I posted, the problem stopped. It's been over 3 months and the windshield wipers are behaving.
I wouldn't think the problem would be in the switch. The wipers run for a certain amount of time, then die...usually in mid-sweep. I'm wondering if the switch controls some kind of actuator that sets the speed of the wipers.
Good luck and let me know if you get it fixed...I might need the info in the future.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by XfrInNH
Hello all...new member here. I have a '05 Xfr coupe. The day after I bought it (2 weeks ago), I started having a problem with the windshield wipers. When I'd start the car, they'd turn on...wipe 5 or 6 times...then stop where ever they happen to be, usually laying across the windshield. It takes quite a few tries to get them to lay correctly. I made an appointment to have em fixed and of course, they stopped malfunctioning the day before. I brought it in anyways and was told they couldn't reproduce the problem. It started up again last week...and stopped the day before the appointment. Maybe the car's afraid of the garage...lol. Anyways...when the wipers are malfunctioning, they do the same thing no matter what position the switch is in...it'll run 5 or 6 times and stop.

I was hoping maybe someone has had this problem or might have a idea why it's happening. I plan on bring the car directly to the dealer next time it happens.

Thanks for your help
What did it turn out to be?

Old 11-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by yanni2112
What did it turn out to be?

Just a thought if yours are acting up.. The body control module in the box next to the battery can cause funky behavior.. I had swapped mine and wife's roadsters out for trouble shooting-testing.. and failed to get connector properly seated on mine .. wipers started up with "demonic" behavior.. LOL.. might try unplugging and reseating the connector a couple times in case of bad contact now going on.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Just a thought if yours are acting up.. The body control module in the box next to the battery can cause funky behavior.. I had swapped mine and wife's roadsters out for trouble shooting-testing.. and failed to get connector properly seated on mine .. wipers started up with "demonic" behavior.. LOL.. might try unplugging and reseating the connector a couple times in case of bad contact now going on.
Thank you Buddy