Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Front License Plate Mounting.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate Mounting.

So I'm minding my own business like any old fart does and go up to the toll booth to receive my card to get on the expressway...when this state trooper appears out of nowhere and says "Pull that thing over there". Okay I say, as I am rethinking "whats up with this". So as he's checking out the car he says "wheres your front plate"? I said at home on my table saw in the garage. He goes on and says, you know your in violation to the law, your suppose to have it mounted on the front. I said O.K. How? There is no place to mount it. So he brings me around the front of the XF and says " You have to DRILL some holes here and get it on. Okay I say, first I'll get the drill and bore some holes in your bumper first and see what it looks like. He says look, I am giving you a break, if you want I'll write you up and you can argue with the judge. So I bit my tongue and sped off into the sunset toward home and parked it. There is no way on gods green earth that Iam putting a drill bit to the bumper of my car. Any suggestions out there?

Old 07-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Front License Plate Mounting.

Originally Posted by copycat
So I'm minding my own business like any old fart does and go up to the toll booth to receive my card to get on the expressway...when this state trooper appears out of nowhere and says "Pull that thing over there". Okay I say, as I am rethinking "whats up with this". So as he's checking out the car he says "wheres your front plate"? I said at home on my table saw in the garage. He goes on and says, you know your in violation to the law, your suppose to have it mounted on the front. I said O.K. How? There is no place to mount it. So he brings me around the front of the XF and says " You have to DRILL some holes here and get it on. Okay I say, first I'll get the drill and bore some holes in your bumper first and see what it looks like. He says look, I am giving you a break, if you want I'll write you up and you can argue with the judge. So I bit my tongue and sped off into the sunset toward home and parked it. There is no way on gods green earth that Iam putting a drill bit to the bumper of my car. Any suggestions out there?
There are a couple of solutions. Search for "Front License" and you'll find a bracket that mounts from underneath.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by copycat
Yes, don't go through that toll plaza in your Crossfire anymore.

Enjoy the ride!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is law here in NY too. My car came with the factory option, you can have your dealer do that.

Here is another option

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.htm

Old 07-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Cool Re: Front License Plate Mounting.

There also is a retractable license plate bracket that mounts underneath and you can flip it up, and/or flip it down and hide the unsightly plate...it's about $50 and you can find it on EBay and Google...it's very cool - I don't have it but if I get warned or a ticket that's what I will try...there's also a video of it on You Tube...

http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...14b334d3fbeae7

Old 07-31-2008, 12:26 PM

i didn't even have the option when i bought mine. the unsightly front bracket was alread installed on my car. i think when i replace my bumper with an SRT bumper I will get the retractable one. sounds pretty awesome if it works well.

EDIT: YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3cLALy_vh4

Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 PM

Since he didn't give you a ticket I would continue to drive the way you do now. When you are forced to then I would change. Doesn't sound like something they enforce a lot?

Old 07-31-2008, 01:21 PM

Thax for the help. I ordered a bracket from Skene designs, and will probably get the retractable one from Swift Motorsports as well and will make a decision when I have them both. I would like to utilize the retractable one, just to stir the pot. Buran, it would not be a good idea for me to enter into another foray with the man unprepared. I wore out my welcome with him as it was. Thanks again, I will take pics of the one installed to show.

Last edited by copycat; 07-31-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

I am certainly against having a plate of the front of my car and I don't have mine on either in Illinois where law requires it.
I just take my chances.
The one thing I want to mention here is if you have a retractable plate thats cool but the cop might still give ya a ticket because if the plate is retracted at the time of the stop the ticket is written for "Not displaying a front plate"
So even if it is mounted and retracted it is not being displayed.
Don't get me wrong I am not a cop but I have encountered these tickets in the past on my other cars.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

electric one

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjOn_jWHxLk[/media]

Old 07-31-2008, 04:15 PM

Will more then likey mount the Slene model. The blind mounting holes will not be seen unless your looking under the bumper. The retractable would have to mounted under the spoiler and attached to the motors plastic couling. I dont care much for that application. Besides as you said, if its not displayed your getting written up. When you get right down to it, I think that the only real reason for the plate in the front is for a target area for the radar. He had that Cat Litter Box look when he peer inside and saw my Detector.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You will find many threads here about front license plates.
If you live in a state that requires one, you either drill the holes and mount the ugly plate or you take your chances and pay your files.

I debated with myself for a month before breaking down and drilling holes in my bumper and installing the bracket. At least I paid a little extra and purchased a better looking license plate from the state.

I loved the look of my car without the plate. Now, I am so used to it that I don't even notice.

The following users liked this post:
jefecito (10-11-2022)
Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 AM

I don't have the front plate mounted on the SRT either......nor will I until I get an actual citation. WI requires a front plate & though I've been pulled over twice for 'no plate displayed' I've received just warnings. If you do get a citation here they will give you 10 days to rectify the problem & then no fine will be issued. So, I've got my plate holder resting comfortably in the garage - where it will stay unless absolutely needed!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:49 PM

I just got a ticket for this a month ago. I now have my plate attached with twist ties. So, I ordered some high powered magnets. Once I install my H/E and pump I will attach the magnets to the inside of the bumper. Then I will attach magnets to the license plate and cover the back of the plate with felt or something so it wont scratch the bumper. The license plate will be bent to contour with the front bumper. Hopefully I can easily pull this off and re-attach it and still have a strong hold. I will have pictures once I get around to it.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Before I broke down and mounted my front plate, I had it mounted with velcro just to see how I would like it. Actually the velcro held pretty well and I could peel it off the bumper when I wanted the "clean" look.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:58 PM

When all else fails drill the holes - mount the plate - and obey the law. Like it or not it is what it is, "the law". I guess another option would be to complain to your state and try to get the law changed.
Roger

Old 08-02-2008, 10:17 AM

CIMG1137.JPG I mounted the Skene Design, used a bigger rubber pad behind the plate to protect the bumper. I think Iam going to work on a better design, got the machinery to do so, 50 bucks is a bit much, for what you get. Its a decent concept, just believe it can be improved upon. By the way, I went with the Medium length instead of the Small length recommended. I believe that the Long length would be perfect to accept the radius of the bumper.

CIMG1138.JPG

CIMG1139.JPG

CIMG1141.JPG

CIMG1143.JPG

CIMG1142.JPG

Last edited by copycat; 08-02-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Forum Regular

Why is it that cars like the corvettes get away with having no plates then? I never see vettes with front plates.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 AM

99% of the Vettes up her in N.Y. have plates.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Forum Regular

They don't in Texas. I'm looking at one right now at work. I'll have to ask the driver about his and if he has any problems with that in the past

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Mounting.