Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

High beam lights and indicator not working

Old 05-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beam lights and indicator not working

I have an 06 crossfire with 9k miles and the high beam lamps will not come on. They just stopped working ,no blown fuses and no indicator lamp illuminating with the stalk in the forward position .Brights will not flash when pulling the stick toward the steering wheel.Low beams and parking lights come on as normal with the main switch. Has anyone experienced this condition and what do I possibly look for ?

Old 05-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Default Re: High beam lights and indicator not working

Something could be wrong with the Can Bus system, you need to take it to a dealer

Old 05-28-2010, 07:32 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by rk64
I have an 06 crossfire with 9k miles and the high beam lamps will not come on. They just stopped working ,no blown fuses and no indicator lamp illuminating with the stalk in the forward position .Brights will not flash when pulling the stick toward the steering wheel.Low beams and parking lights come on as normal with the main switch. Has anyone experienced this condition and what do I possibly look for ?
Look in the shop manual and it tells you how to check the "Illumination Control Module", but we will call it the main light switch.
Taking it to the dealer means they will check the fuses etc and then change this switch. Even it fails to solve the problem you will be on the hook for an expensive switch.
Read the shop manual and check out the switch.
Check to see that no electricity is getting to the high beam bulbs at least that will prove that end of the circuit before you pull the switch, no pun intended.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-28-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this problem and fixed it myself because my warranty was gone. But you need to replace the headlamp switch and the turn signal switch. I think the parts are some where around 500 or 600 dollars. If you do it yourself you will need to take off the steering wheel.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by cassidyrj1
I had this problem and fixed it myself because my warranty was gone. But you need to replace the headlamp switch and the turn signal switch. I think the parts are some where around 500 or 600 dollars. If you do it yourself you will need to take off the steering wheel.
Is the headlamp switch serviceable part that I can fix or change myself, or does the turn signal lever need to be replaced to fix this?

Last edited by firemen; 07-05-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:07 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by firemen
Is the headlamp switch serviceable part that I can fix or change myself, or does the turn signal lever need to be replaced to fix this?
Both parts will need to be replaced in order to get your high beams working. It is not hard to replace either part it just takes some time. If you do attempt to do this yourself disconnect the battery 10 minutes before you start becuase you need to take the airbag unit out of the steering wheel to get to the bolt that holds the steering wheel on.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by cassidyrj1
Both parts will need to be replaced in order to get your high beams working. It is not hard to replace either part it just takes some time. If you do attempt to do this yourself disconnect the battery 10 minutes before you start becuase you need to take the airbag unit out of the steering wheel to get to the bolt that holds the steering wheel on.
It would be strange that two parts need to be replaced unless the failure of one leads to the failure of the second.
If the the problem lies in the turn signal or headlight switch then I would say only one is at fault.
A dealership may choose to change both but only if you are paying.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:54 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headlight switch assembly can be removed from the dashboard with some care and guidance from some threads on this forum. There are several fuses that are integral to the actual headlight switch assembly that should be checked before you go out and purchase a new switch assembly. There are 6 x 15amp and 6 X 7.5amp fuses mounted to the switch assembly (SRT6 version).
If your handy you can removed the switch yourself.

Keep in mind that fuses usually blow due to fault, short, or overcurrent and are there to protect the circuitry so if you find a blown fuse you'll need to try to troubleshoot what caused it to blow.

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 07-03-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
It would be strange that two parts need to be replaced unless the failure of one leads to the failure of the second.
If the the problem lies in the turn signal or headlight switch then I would say only one is at fault.
A dealership may choose to change both but only if you are paying.
That is how I felt about the problem. So when I was fixing it I replaced the turn signal switch and then checked to see if it was fixed and nothing. So then I put the old turn signal in and replaced the headlight switch and nothing. So I replaced both with the new parts and the problem was fixed.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Eco
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know the part number for the indicator/wiper/ high beam stalk (switch)?

Is there a Mercedes part number that will suffice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-02-2016, 12:38 PM

make sure your headlight switch is in the correct position.If mine are in 0 (off,top),my lights will all come on,day and night as I have daytime running lights but hi beam will not work.If I have set as low beams (position 2 to right of off,(2 o'clock position) my hi beams then work fine. This is dis-similar to my other cars where headlights come on after dark and hi beam can be used.In the Crossfire you get all the night lights if in 0 (off) position and you have daytime running lights but hi beams will not work unless you switch lights to "on" in position 2. Make sure you are not trying to fix something that is not broken but just seems to be a curiosity of these cars.

Dagwood 2005 Crossfire Coupe Limited owned since 2011
1986 Merkur Xr4Ti owned since 88

Old 10-02-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by marikakyra
make sure your headlight switch is in the correct position.If mine are in 0 (off,top),my lights will all come on,day and night as I have daytime running lights but hi beam will not work.If I have set as low beams (position 2 to right of off,(2 o'clock position) my hi beams then work fine. This is dis-similar to my other cars where headlights come on after dark and hi beam can be used.In the Crossfire you get all the night lights if in 0 (off) position and you have daytime running lights but hi beams will not work unless you switch lights to "on" in position 2. Make sure you are not trying to fix something that is not broken but just seems to be a curiosity of these cars.

Dagwood 2005 Crossfire Coupe Limited owned since 2011
1986 Merkur Xr4Ti owned since 88
Welcome to the forum, have you been on here before?
You are answering a thread that is over six years old, you should always check the dates, often the people are no longer on the forum.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:44 PM

yes I know but the info is still useful and pertinent for those with same problem today.I rely on the info on forum and had I followed the advice here would have spent money for nothing. Instead went back to basics and discovered what I wrote. Hopefully others will benefit from my good info sometime down the road.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by marikakyra
yes I know but the info is still useful and pertinent for those with same problem today.I rely on the info on forum and had I followed the advice here would have spent money for nothing. Instead went back to basics and discovered what I wrote. Hopefully others will benefit from my good info sometime down the road.
Most of the members here have the US switch which lacks the Canadian switch daytime running feature.