Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

HOW TO replace headlight bulb. Pictured step by step instructions

Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: HOW TO replace headlight bulb. Pictured step by step instructions

so Im guessing that my headlight is busted. The passanger side headlight adjustment goes up so high and then falls back down. I screw and screw and nothing happens. Im thinking my tabs are correct now. Anyone ever had this happen?

Old 10-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I simply take my car to the mechanic for replacing anything. Your tutorial seems very easy and I motivated to try replacing the headlight bulb. There are so many people like me don't know how to replace the bulb but your step by step guide and explanation with the help of pictures make it easy. Thanks and many appreciation from my side.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:37 AM

This was my first project and I must admit this thread made it easy...even for a woman just learning how to maintain her own car. I did however make the mistake of undoing the entire clip on the first headlight which was a pain to get back into place. At least having petite hands makes it a little easier than most.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:49 PM

Hey guys,
I couldn't agree more with the posts which praise this forum/site. As you can see, I haven't been a member for long, but the resources which the crossfire forum provides are invaluable if you are a crossfire owner!
I have a question (which I should prob get ripped apart for) ... When viewing posts (say on the topic of headlight bulb changing), how or where does one find the original post where say step-by-step instructions with pictures are?
That may have been a little confusing, but in other words, what do I select/click on to view, say the infamous "musclefan's" post which has the pictured, step-by-step instructions?

Old 11-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by NjRichieRich25
Hey guys,
I couldn't agree more with the posts which praise this forum/site. As you can see, I haven't been a member for long, but the resources which the crossfire forum provides are invaluable if you are a crossfire owner!
I have a question (which I should prob get ripped apart for) ... When viewing posts (say on the topic of headlight bulb changing), how or where does one find the original post where say step-by-step instructions with pictures are?
That may have been a little confusing, but in other words, what do I select/click on to view, say the infamous "musclefan's" post which has the pictured, step-by-step instructions?
Amazing as it may be, you are in the thread that started with musclefans infamous post.
So go to post #1 in this thread.
I have created a post which has a lot of these type of posts in it, sorted into categories to make it easier to search for specific threads. Click on ' Index of Crossfire problems .....' below.

Last edited by onehundred80; 11-29-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:48 PM

I think I've inherited the same problem on my 05 roadster, with low dipped beams and an odd pattern. I'll take them out and refit at the weekend and would like to say a big thanks for the photo guide. Really useful.

Just one thing though - and I don't want to appear a smarta$$, but I've always been taught not to touch the glass on Halogen bulbs and photo 7 shows doing just that. So I went off and checked if my mind was playing tricks on me and on Osram.co.uk it says the following

"HALOTHERM® lamps are made of
quartz and should not come in contact with substances containing sodium. They should never be touched with bare fingers, since oils and other residue cause diversification of the quartz, which leads to premature lamp failure. Prior to operating the lamp, any fingerprints must be removed by using a suitable cleaning solvent".

Ok, that's for Halotherm lamps, whatever they are, but it appears the majority of modern Halogen headlights are made of quartz glass because of their resistance to shattering when exposed to moisture, so I think care needs to be taken. I normally just make sure I've washed my hands and wrapped some fresh kitchen roll paper around the glass of the bulb, or better still, just hold the metal end!

I hope that's of some help, as decent bulbs aren't cheap and it makes sense to make them last if you can!

Mike

Old 12-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by UK CrossfireFan
I think I've inherited the same problem on my 05 roadster, with low dipped beams and an odd pattern. I'll take them out and refit at the weekend and would like to say a big thanks for the photo guide. Really useful.

Just one thing though - and I don't want to appear a smarta$$, but I've always been taught not to touch the glass on Halogen bulbs and photo 7 shows doing just that. So I went off and checked if my mind was playing tricks on me and on Osram.co.uk it says the following

"HALOTHERM® lamps are made of
quartz and should not come in contact with substances containing sodium. They should never be touched with bare fingers, since oils and other residue cause diversification of the quartz, which leads to premature lamp failure. Prior to operating the lamp, any fingerprints must be removed by using a suitable cleaning solvent".

Ok, that's for Halotherm lamps, whatever they are, but it appears the majority of modern Halogen headlights are made of quartz glass because of their resistance to shattering when exposed to moisture, so I think care needs to be taken. I normally just make sure I've washed my hands and wrapped some fresh kitchen roll paper around the glass of the bulb, or better still, just hold the metal end!

I hope that's of some help, as decent bulbs aren't cheap and it makes sense to make them last if you can!

Mike
As I recall, the OP was asked about touching them in an earlier thread and he replied that those were the old bulbs he was using as an example. Myself - I prefer disposable surgical style gloves for handling any automotive light bulb, especially HID bulbs.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:11 PM

Just one thing though - and I don't want to appear a smarta$$, but I've always been taught not to touch the glass on Halogen bulbs and photo 7 shows doing just that.
Mike
Good catch, but ..............
In post number seven he says that that is the bad bulb, he'd been pulled up on that twice in previous five posts.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Good catch, but ..............
In post number seven he says that that is the bad bulb, he'd been pulled up on that twice in previous five posts.
I think I hear an echo in this room .......

Old 12-16-2013, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
I think I hear an echo in this room .......
When I started that post I was the next poster but I guess it took some time to finish. Sorry. It will not happen again.

New Years resolution.
I am not going to answer any more posts to correct anyone anymore.

I am not going to answer any posts that could be solved by a simple search.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:43 AM

.... And I didn't notice there were 7 pages of posts on this thread. Sorry to all. Will try harder in future.

Happy Christmas.

Mike

Old 12-17-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
When I started that post I was the next poster but I guess it took some time to finish. Sorry. It will not happen again.

New Years resolution.
I am not going to answer any more posts to correct anyone anymore.

I am not going to answer any posts that could be solved by a simple search.

>> I am not going to answer any more posts to correct anyone anymore. say it's not so ! I'll be a ship without a rudder lost in a sea of misstatements and omissions ....

>> I am not going to answer any posts that could be solved by a simple search. other than to say "use the search feature"

Old 12-17-2013, 09:34 AM

.... And I didn't notice there were 7 pages of posts on this thread. Sorry to all. Will try harder in future.

Happy Christmas.

Mike
That did not stop you from sending me this PM complaining I had upset you.
I didn't particularly want to extend the thread any further, but could you explain how a 'simple question' would have answered this?

Those who don't know how to hold a bulb correctly won't know to ask, and, based upon photo 7 might handle a new one by the glass too, so I and apparently 5 other members raised this as a flag to stop others who don't know from damaging their light bulbs.

The logical thing might be to amend the sticky which is supposed to be a bible for those with less knowledge, rather than slur those trying to help. Had it been amended on the first occasion it was pointed out,it would't have been raised again.

Just a thought...

Mike
As to the 'stickys 'being Bibles', think again. They were written by people who sometimes made errors and failed to correct them. Sometimes the OP left the forum and never corrected them the OP here has been gone for over a year. Sometimes the original sticky was ruined when the OP left and erased his pictures. The sticky ignition fix is typical, the moderators cannot correct everything, you may get **** if you post something they find offensive. Obviously with eleven posts to your name and joining this month you are still wet behind the ears, so you are forgiven if you feel insulted by my comments, how I did that I fail to see. I can insult you better if you like.

A poster here the other day said he would correct his original post adding that a different size inch socket could do the job a bit better. Great, but he ignored the fact it is a car with metric sizes on it, and failed to say what the correct metric socket was. Using inch sockets on metric fasteners is asking for trouble.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-17-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to thank you for this thread. I printed out the pictures, brought them out to my Crossfire and replaced the passenger side low beam in about a half an hour. The toughest thing was pulling the plug. You were right, just keep carefully pulling...it will come out. Thanks again!

Old 03-30-2014, 11:51 PM

My low beams are set to the highest adjustment, but still functionally useless...they are too low to drive safely at night. Do ou think this bulb replacement and bulb clock location may be the problem?

At 5 feet they aim 17inches from the ground, the bulb center height is 23 inches.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

When your hitting that low.. either you've over adjusted and its pulled off the ball socket inside (screw back in and it will seat).. or that tab on the bulb that you know you seated right.. isn't.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:54 PM

i cant seem to get to the images about how to change a headlight on a crossfire! hell i keyed evry link on here, ha, thanks if u can help, just wanted to take a look before i go out and change my drivers side blown headlight bulb!!

Old 06-20-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by hiflyer
i cant seem to get to the images about how to change a headlight on a crossfire! hell i keyed evry link on here, ha, thanks if u can help, just wanted to take a look before i go out and change my drivers side blown headlight bulb!!
What you want is picture #3 in the first post.
What are you using to access this forum?

Old 06-20-2014, 02:26 PM

Dave, many companies have filters on PhotoBucket, mine does.
If I want to see the purty pickturs on my main workstation, I have to drop the company IVPN.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Dave, many companies have filters on PhotoBucket, mine does.
If I want to see the purty pickturs on my main workstation, I have to drop the company IVPN.
Some companies just want to spoil your fun all the time.

Solution.
Retire, don't get old, just retire.

I always said why work until 65, we should be able to start work at 65 and work till the end.

• Old people forget everything at that age, so even though they will have lots of experience it will not help because they'll not remember it.
  • It will take more people to do the same amount of work, so the unemployment figures will go down.
  • No worry about any low pay because they will not be saving for their old age
  • No retirement plans needed.
  • The saying 'I'm getting worked to death' will be true.
You get the drift.

Quick Reply: HOW TO replace headlight bulb. Pictured step by step instructions