Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Fog Light Install on '06 Base

Old 12-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Fog Light Install on '06 Base

Hi, All.

I searched this forum for "fog lamp install" but couldn't find an answer to this; forgive me if it has been addressed.

I have a newly-purchased 06 Crossfire Roadster base model. I'd like to add fog lights to it (preferably OEM, but I'm not picky). Am I in for a world of hurt, or is this something anyone could reasonably do? I assume that the wiring to the interior switch would be there, but I don't know.

Thoughts?
-Adam

Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Fog Light Install on 06 Base

It has been done many times here. You can use the factory switch to make them work. I would stick with OEM if you can get them affordable. It is not a hard job, there are several ways to hook them up to work with the factory switch. Someone here can chime in that actually accomplished the job.

Personally, I would use a relay and have them come on anytime the running/parking lights are on. That way no need to run a wire into the cab.

Good Luck, James

Old 12-08-2010, 06:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Fog Light Install on '06 Base

i tried to locate the pdf service manual but couldnt find it. it has wiring diagrams to help. does anyone know if the base's wiring harness is set for fogs

Old 12-16-2010, 05:56 PM

Any progress on this?

Old 12-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by green-ghost
i tried to locate the pdf service manual but couldnt find it. it has wiring diagrams to help. does anyone know if the base's wiring harness is set for fogs
The base does not have the wiring for the fog lights but the light switch will work if you want to wire them in that way.

Here is a diagram of where you need to wire in the lights if you want to use the factory switch. Wire the lamp socket to ground on one side and to each of these pins on the other. One is for the left and one is for the right. After you're done, just put the fog light fuse in and you're good to go.

Here's the fog light socket if you are looking into the front of the connector so you see the pins.

Last edited by rcompart; 12-16-2010 at 07:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gdurquhart@hotmail.com (01-24-2021)
Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is a related thread:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-roadster.html

Old 01-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanks, rcompart! I'll show that diagram to my garage.
They're putting the leather seats in today, so the lights will have to wait for a while.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gaelicman,

I put in OEM Fog lights on my 2007 Base Roadster about a year and half ago. It would have been nice if was pre-wired, but I couldn't find anything that way. I followed the instructions on the on the thread suggested by Toolman. It took the better part of the afternoon. I didn't have to take off the wheels or the pan underneath the engine. Fortunately, mine had the access panels in the wheel wells. I carefully routed the wires to be unnoticeable. There is a grommet that leads to the cabin from the engine compartment that has nothing going through it. I poked a hole through that one so as not to go near the brake line. It required a little bit of trial and error searching for the routing up to the fuse panel. I remember having to pull back some carpet as well. I used the Add-a-Circuit and plugged that into the fog light fuse area. You will also need a headlight socket for each 9006 bulb. The 9006 bulb is what's in the OEM Fog Light. Add-a-Circuit, 2 headlight sockets, wire and fuses all located at Advance Auto. Make sure you have a set of Torx screwdrivers. There are 3 Torx screws holding the black plastic cap in place. Use the same screws to mount the fog lights. Good luck with the project.

Brian

The following users liked this post:
gdurquhart@hotmail.com (01-24-2021)
Old 09-29-2011, 07:14 PM

Brian, I finally got the lights delivered this week, so I'm getting ready. What gauge wire did you run?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:52 PM

Hi. doing the same install and was wondering where to source the wiring harness or 9006 sockets on the cheap. thxs

Old 09-30-2011, 06:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by James1549
It has been done many times here. You can use the factory switch to make them work. I would stick with OEM if you can get them affordable. It is not a hard job, there are several ways to hook them up to work with the factory switch. Someone here can chime in that actually accomplished the job.

Personally, I would use a relay and have them come on anytime the running/parking lights are on. That way no need to run a wire into the cab.

Good Luck, James
Excellent suggestion to use fogs as day-time-running-lights (DRL's). There are a number of DRL relay kits on the market, and YES you would save a lot of time and effort by not taking wiring into the cabin.

As a kicker, fogs lights look great as running lights, and all of the lil' 'ol ladies will see you coming.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kane
Excellent suggestion to use fogs as day-time-running-lights (DRL's). There are a number of DRL relay kits on the market, and YES you would save a lot of time and effort by not taking wiring into the cabin.

As a kicker, fogs lights look great as running lights, and all of the lil' 'ol ladies will see you coming.
How would one wire the fogs useing a relay? thxs Scott

Old 10-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Weebeeste
How would one wire the fogs useing a relay? thxs Scott
A relay kit is powered hot directly from the battery, thru the fuse box bugged to a switched 15A fuse (I think I used the radio fuse), and then to the fog light wiring. Of course the relay is grounded to the frame. Simple. Takes maybe an hour to do the job without going into the cabin.

The fog lights will burn as DRL's anytime the key is in the ON position.

I am going to guess that even the base model has the fog light wiring furnished in the OEM wiring harness. If so, you can bug onto the fog light wire (one wire) in the harness in the upper front left corner of the engine bay near the headlight. See wiring diagram for wire color (GY/YL). And again only guessing, you might find the ends of the wires (GY/YL with BR grnd) near the fog light locations. Maybe not. Life should be so easy.

Last edited by Kane; 10-01-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Gaelicman,

I'm pretty sure I used 16 gauge wire. It's a standard wire available at Advance Auto. You could ask them what gauge matches the socket connectors to make sure they match. I was really interested in keeping it simple and found that by wiring through to the cockpit a relatively easy task. I followed the wiring harness from the headlights through the engine bay. BTW, I could not see where there was any "unused" wiring for the foglights folded up out of the way. The fuse box where the fog light fuse resides did not have any wiring either. The add a switch worked out nicely to connect directly to the foglight fuse section and uses the headlight switch just as it is supposed to do. I can send some pictures later if you would like. Good luck!

Brian

Old 10-01-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Red007Roadster
Gaelicman,

I'm pretty sure I used 16 gauge wire. It's a standard wire available at Advance Auto. You could ask them what gauge matches the socket connectors to make sure they match. I was really interested in keeping it simple and found that by wiring through to the cockpit a relatively easy task. I followed the wiring harness from the headlights through the engine bay. BTW, I could not see where there was any "unused" wiring for the foglights folded up out of the way. The fuse box where the fog light fuse resides did not have any wiring either. The add a switch worked out nicely to connect directly to the foglight fuse section and uses the headlight switch just as it is supposed to do. I can send some pictures later if you would like. Good luck!

Brian
Pictures would be a great help thxs.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 AM

[quote=Red007Roadster]Gaelicman,
duplicate

Last edited by Weebeeste; 10-01-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaelicman
Thanks, rcompart!
They're putting the leather seats in today, so the lights will have to wait for a while.
Did you install OEM seats, aftermarket or M-B seats?

Old 10-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Gaelicman and Weebeeste,

I finally got the time and energy to take apart then photo the install. The picture below should take you to my gallery. There are descriptions which accompany each photo. All the wiring was purchased at Advance Auto. I can't remember if I used 14 or 16 gauge wire. I used 16-14 gauge weatherproof butt connectors (part #85240) when I connected the long wire to the headlight socket connector (part #85813). This is the connector for the 9006 bulb, which is what the fog light bulbs are. You also need a set of Torx screwdrivers, specifically T-15, T-20, and T-25. Good Luck!!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Hi, all. Been away for a while, but I wanted to post this. Fog lights installed, and I think they look great! Totally OEM, including the functionality of the OEM dash switch.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kane
A relay kit is powered hot directly from the battery, thru the fuse box bugged to a switched 15A fuse (I think I used the radio fuse), and then to the fog light wiring. Of course the relay is grounded to the frame. Simple. Takes maybe an hour to do the job without going into the cabin.

The fog lights will burn as DRL's anytime the key is in the ON position.

I am going to guess that even the base model has the fog light wiring furnished in the OEM wiring harness. If so, you can bug onto the fog light wire (one wire) in the harness in the upper front left corner of the engine bay near the headlight. See wiring diagram for wire color (GY/YL). And again only guessing, you might find the ends of the wires (GY/YL with BR grnd) near the fog light locations. Maybe not. Life should be so easy.
Since this thread popped up just wanted to toss .02 in. Recently heard of a couple different people getting pulled over for fog lights on without inclament weather here in Oklahoma. Might want to check your local laws before wiring in as DRL's.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Install on '06 Base