Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Easy way to replace the marker lights inside the headlight cluster

Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Easy way to replace the marker lights inside the headlight cluster

Still, this isn't as easy as it sounds, so, I asked the stealership how they would do it and how much they would charge to replace this bulb inside the headlight cluster. They told me 35 to 40 bucks. I asked how they were going to replace said buld, and the reply was, We are going to remove the tire and the inner fender well. I declined their offer and figured I would come back to the forum and read and try again.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fla_Xfire_SRT
Still, this isn't as easy as it sounds, so, I asked the stealership how they would do it and how much they would charge to replace this bulb inside the headlight cluster. They told me 35 to 40 bucks. I asked how they were going to replace said buld, and the reply was, We are going to remove the tire and the inner fender well. I declined their offer and figured I would come back to the forum and read and try again.
I also asked the dealership when I couldn't figure it out, and they said it would be over $100 just to look at it. I've now done this myself several times. All you need is an allen wrench and a screwdriver and you can use the allen to give it the twist you need. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I got lucky and removed the little rubber "vent" to give me a micron or two extra room and used a curved pair of hemostats which worked out well...now one side is brighter than the other...geesh.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have the part number or bulb replacement for the small marker lights inside the headlight cluster? Cant seem to find it anywhere thankyou

Old 05-31-2018, 07:30 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

It's a 12v T10 base bulb.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:46 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Bulb part number is 2825 (W5W).
The side markers use the same bulb.

Last edited by onehundred80; 05-31-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:34 AM

Perfect thank you after posting i looked in the manual and found its called a "front position lamp" and just like the side marker lights it takes a W5W bulb.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 12-14-2020, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Buttugly
I posted a HELP asking for ideas on replacing the "FRONT MARKER LIGHT" inside the headlight cluster.
Being the impatient person I am I found an easy way to replace the lights. Here is what I did, I'll add photos later.
I found that you cannot reach the socket by hand and I did not have long enough needle nose pliers. What I do have are lots of tools!!! as it turns out if you have a 10MM open end wrench that is at least 8" long you can reach under the metal bracket on front left and right side headlights with the open end wrench. It fits loosely over the socket, turn it 1/4 turn counter clockwise and it will pop right out. from there you can easily get to the light and replace it. Once you put the new bulb in the socket simply put it back in place and using the same wrench twist it clockwise 1/4 turn and your done.

This took me less that 5 minuets to replace both lights. Hope this helps someone else. These lights are a pain too get to.
That's how I did it.... Best method. 10mm reach under the cross member and turn with my ballpoint pen in the box end of the wrench. The instructions say to take the car apart.

The following users liked this post:
×Crossfire1× (04-05-2023)
Old 02-07-2021, 06:42 AM

Great tip as I want to replace my OEM bulbs with LEDs.

I've loads of tools but havent't got a long 10mm open ended spanner and haven't as yet beeen able to find a cheap 8" or longer one on any UK online website as yet so would welcome anyone posting a link to a UK supplier

Old 03-15-2021, 03:34 PM

Thank you so much for the tips! I would have taken half the car apart had it not been for the forum! I used the 10mm open end wrench, a screwdriver, and needle nose pliers to do the job. It's still challenging but it works!

Old 06-21-2021, 07:16 PM

OMG! I have struggled with this for 2 weeks now and many beers along the way! I cannot get that " d**plastic bracket to turn" where I can pull the light out. I have many tools available from my husband's garage, but it is not budging! Is there a specific tool I can buy to get this changed? I am soooooo frustrated. I know it should not be this difficult, but it is. I just changed a headlight bulb in 5 mins, this one I cannot. Thoughts, tool ???? I hate to take it to the garage to do, but fear that is where I am heading

Old 06-21-2021, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by kernol2
OMG! I have struggled with this for 2 weeks now and many beers along the way! I cannot get that " d**plastic bracket to turn" where I can pull the light out. I have many tools available from my husband's garage, but it is not budging! Is there a specific tool I can buy to get this changed? I am soooooo frustrated. I know it should not be this difficult, but it is. I just changed a headlight bulb in 5 mins, this one I cannot. Thoughts, tool ???? I hate to take it to the garage to do, but fear that is where I am heading
I used a 9 or 10mm open end wrench clamped with long nose vise grips. I was able to rotate it out of the socket. Then I snagged it with long needle nose pliers. Used the same technique to put it back in. It takes time but it worked. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2021, 07:43 PM

So my husband welded a special tool to get the angle I needed to "twist" the "socket". We have it twisted but it will not come out. Thoughts??

Old 06-21-2021, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by kernol2
So my husband welded a special tool to get the angle I needed to "twist" the "socket". We have it twisted but it will not come out. Thoughts??
If you have it unlocked and it doesn't just sort of drop out, the only thing you can do is find something long enough to grab it and pull it out. I have some needle nose pliers that are longer. I was able to get in there to grab it.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:07 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

And when you do get it out and replace the bulb, smear a little petroleum jelly on the rubber "O" ring so reinstalling it goes a lot easier. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2021, 12:25 PM

If I might add, replace the bulbs with LED's. They're expensive but they're supposed to last longer and they are actually brighter.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just swapped out my upper corner marker bulbs to 194 LED bulbs an hour ago.
The 10mm was a bit loose, so I used a 9mm open end wrench and that fitted perfectly.
The problem was that the 9mm wrench wasn't long enough. So, I used a piece of half-inch conduit tubing and pressed it over the 9mm wrench and it worked great.
I used a short piece of metal coat hangar and curved the end of it and used that to snag the fixture and wires to pull it out to change the bulbs.
Zip, zip, zip... and done in 5 minutes...

Last edited by Buck62; 11-30-2021 at 10:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Buck62:
M60A3Driver (05-26-2023), nemiro (12-01-2021)