Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlight Condensation

Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Condensation

I know this has previously been discussed at length, but I suspect my situation may be more specific. The other day, after some rain, I noticed condensation inside the driver's-side headlight assembly. I recall when replacing the eyelid bulbs knocking a small yellow thing off of the back of the headlight. I covered the hole with electrical tape. What was this and could this be the reason?

If so, what is it called so that I can order a replacement? Would prefer not to deal with the dealer and a TSB kit.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Default Re: Headlight Condensation

Just noticed today that that the inside of the headlight has a watermark, where it looks like the tiny condensation beads have dried. Could someone please offer a solution? Thanks!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This subject has been widely covered with methods for cleaning inside dirty lenses discussed in detail.(thanx maxcichon) What about preventing a re occurance of the misting problem? Im sure there must be owners who are still experiencing this problem with the misting coming and going.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im just experimenting by leaving the rubber covers off the back of the main beam aperture on the back - headlight seems to be staying mist free

Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve - UK
Im just experimenting by leaving the rubber covers off the back of the main beam aperture on the back - headlight seems to be staying mist free
There is a $25 kit that includes caps with permeable membranes. Allows the cases to breathe.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maxcichon
There is a $25 kit that includes caps with permeable membranes. Allows the cases to breathe.
Headlight seal & cap kit, #05174786AA

Old 11-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Here is half the kit and the parts it replaces. Serious amounts of water may be leaking around the lens seal or elsewhere. I saw one Crossfire on the Dragon and goldfish could have survived in the headlamp unit.
(Click to enlarge)

Old 06-14-2022, 08:08 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck Spunni
Headlight seal & cap kit, #05174786AA
cant find these parts anywhere 🙄. Any suggestions or alternative solutions ?

Old 06-15-2022, 08:44 AM
Received 368 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by richb55
cant find these parts anywhere 🙄. Any suggestions or alternative solutions ?

Anything that can almost totally 'seal' the assembly from moisture, then before installing them (in the sun facing them towards it), use a hair drier on low & aim the thing into one of the opened lamp covers until you get everything inside very warm. Then, while it is still very warm inside the lamp assembly (you might need an extra hand or two), cover/seal the openings. Do that to the other one and you should be OK.

Thats about the only suggestion I have short of finding a 'kit' somewhere. I am guessing you already made sure those rubber 'vent covers' are intact, with that little foam piece inside them (and you have the rubber covers behind the lamps installed afterwards)? Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
CaughtInaXF (01-01-2024)
Old 06-15-2022, 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=GraphiteGhost;969361] Anything that can almost totally 'seal' the assembly from moisture, then before installing them (in the sun facing them towards it), use a hair drier on low & aim the thing into one of the opened lamp covers until you get everything inside very warm. Then, while it is still very warm inside the lamp assembly (you might need an extra hand or two), cover/seal the openings. Do that to the other one and you should be OK.

Thats about the only suggestion I have short of finding a 'kit' somewhere. I am guessing you already made sure those rubber 'vent covers' are intact, with that little foam piece inside them (and you have the rubber covers behind the lamps installed afterwards)? Good luck!

my local dealers response

Here’s how my search was going 🙄]

Old 06-15-2022, 11:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

[QUOTE=richb55;969365]
Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Anything that can almost totally 'seal' the assembly from moisture, then before installing them (in the sun facing them towards it), use a hair drier on low & aim the thing into one of the opened lamp covers until you get everything inside very warm. Then, while it is still very warm inside the lamp assembly (you might need an extra hand or two), cover/seal the openings. Do that to the other one and you should be OK.

my local dealers response

Here’s how my search was going 🙄]
Most of the parts that are Crossfire specific are discontinued/NLA for more than 4 or 5 years now.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=Ronman;969368]

Most of the parts that are Crossfire specific are discontinued/NLA for more than 4 or 5 years now.
the Quest continues , hopefully Mercedes could shed some light on the subject 🙄
thanks 👍

Old 06-15-2022, 12:08 PM
Received 338 Likes on 298 Posts

Not likely, the headlights are Crossfire exclusive.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:17 PM
Forum Regular
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

[QUOTE=richb55;969369]
Originally Posted by Ronman

the Quest continues , hopefully Mercedes could shed some light on the subject 🙄
thanks 👍
Mercedes has basically been done with Chrysler since 2008 or so. They don't have any similar kits for headlights that I have ever seen. Maybe another auto maker that uses Valeo to make their headlights but that is unlikely.

Old 06-15-2022, 02:07 PM

[QUOTE=Ronman;969374]

Mercedes has basically been done with Chrysler since 2008 or so. They don't have any similar kits for headlights that I have ever seen. Maybe another auto maker that uses Valeo to make their headlights but that is unlikely.
I guess this is where my “special set of skills”
Will be required 😎

CaughtInaXF (01-01-2024)
Old 06-15-2022, 03:18 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Below is a photo of the kit that Chrysler sold to rid the headlights of the condensation problem. It shows the parts for one headlight, the new cover and the two caps that completely covered the holes where the 'T' shaped breathers fitted originally. There was two of these kits required, I am not sure if they came in a single kit or if two kits were required. I never really had the problem but I fitted the kit anyway. You can see the rectangular insert that prevents the ingress of water and provides an outlet for water vapour.

I have an idea that a square could be cut in two of the covers, one for both sides, and a piece of Gore-Tex or a similar material glued over these holes with the rainproof side on the outside and the breathable surface inside. Or is there some other material that would be better?
The two 'T' shaped fittings being replaced with rubber plugs like those shown in the kit above.
The idea being that water would not get through the Gore-Tex and water vapour could escape through from the inside. Obviously the air inside the headlight unit would expand when heated by the bulbs driving air out, my question on this is would the air escape fast enough to avoid blowing the cover of and let air pass back into the headlight when it cools down.
Some headlights in the past have had leaks in the sealant allowing water to get into the headlight, I saw one headlight at the Dragon in 2010 with enough water in it to keep a goldfish alive, it must have had a bad leak somewhere.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=onehundred80;969382]Below is a photo of the kit that Chrysler sold to rid the headlights of the condensation problem. It shows the parts for one headlight, the new cover and the two caps that completely covered the holes where the 'T' shaped breathers fitted originally. There was two of these kits required, I am not sure if they came in a single kit or if two kits were required. I never really had the problem but I fitted the kit anyway. You can see the rectangular insert that prevents the ingress of water and provides an outlet for water vapour.

I have an idea that a square could be cut in two of the covers, one for both sides, and a piece of Gore-Tex or a similar material glued over these holes with the rainproof side on the outside and the breathable surface inside. Or is there some other material that would be better?
The two 'T' shaped fittings being replaced with rubber plugs like those shown in the kit above.
The idea being that water would not get through the Gore-Tex and water vapour could escape through from the inside. Obviously the air inside the headlight unit would expand when heated by the bulbs driving air out, my question on this is would the air escape fast enough to avoid blowing the cover of and let air pass back into the headlight when it cools down.
Some headlights in the past have had leaks in the sealant allowing water to get into the headlight, I saw one headlight at the Dragon in 2010 with enough water in it to keep a goldfish alive, it must have had a bad leak somewhere.[/QUOTE
that sounds like it could work , I’ll try and locate
some gortex fabric , plugs should be easy enough to locate 👍
many thanks 😉

nemiro (06-26-2022)