Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Conversion of US Light switch to DTRL - Posssible?

Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Conversion of US Light switch to DTRL - Posssible?

I have always wondered if it is possible to convert the US headlight switch to the DTRL configuration.
The two light switches are plug and play, so the mods are inside the switch I assume.
If you put your hand on the Canadian DTRL switch you can feel it click when you put the car in gear, at least on my old '04 six speed you could. If you had good ears you could probably hear it as well.

I think there is a solenoid inside the DTRL switches, can we put a solenoid inside the US switches to make them work as DTRL switches. This would also mean that anyone with a DTRL switch that wanted to remove that function could do so be removing the solenoid or disable it in some way.

These switches come apart and separate into three distinct parts, the fuse section slides out sideways and the socket portion pulls straight out. I suspect the socket portion is where the solenoid is.

What I need to know is can it be pulled out without any damage? The answer to this may lie with the maestro Rudy. Before I trust my luck I'd like to know if it is safe and if there is anything to be careful about.

SparkieSRT6 has a spare Canadian switch and if they were opened we could compare them. Sparkie entrusted me with his switch last year and said I could take it apart, as it was not mine I chickened out and did not do it.
Cluck Cluck.

There are different part numbers for the variations in the switches, European, US, Canadian etc.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-08-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Conversion of US Light switch to DTRL - Posssible?

I have a US version floating around somewhere that I picked up and took apart a few years ago when I was thinking about making an auto-lighting module. Perhaps talk with Sparkie and see if he'd want to send that one down for a side-by-side eval.

Take care