Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Turn Signal Light Housing?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Light Housing?

My driver side front turn signal doesnt work and I thought it was just a matter of replacing the bulb(which I have learned how to do recently). However when I replaced the bulb it still didnt work. One of my guy friends came over and looked at the thing that the bulb goes in and said that one of the connectors is bad. Does anyone know where I can get one from? Has anyone had this kind of problem?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Turn Signal Light Housing?

I had the same problem. Easy fix,(well sort-a) doesn't cost a dime. The contacts inside the headlight housing are not making contact with the bulb. I took the the entire headlight housing out of the car so I could see the contacts, but you may be able to do this while it is still on the car with a small scribe or other short pointed pin. Simple bend the contacts out away from the plastic so it will more easily make contact with the bulb and be sure both bulb and contact are clean. I gently used some 200 grit sandpaper.
I thought of all kinds of bad things happening, but have learned this is a rather common problem with the early headlights. Before I got into the headlight housing I did check the electric fitting attached to the housing with a volt ohm meter. I wanted to be sure I had power going to the headlight and it proved to be OK.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Guess what I did last nite!?? Exactly what you said and my turn signal lite is working!!!! Thanks so much!
Originally Posted by zip439
I had the same problem. Easy fix,(well sort-a) doesn't cost a dime. The contacts inside the headlight housing are not making contact with the bulb. I took the the entire headlight housing out of the car so I could see the contacts, but you may be able to do this while it is still on the car with a small scribe or other short pointed pin. Simple bend the contacts out away from the plastic so it will more easily make contact with the bulb and be sure both bulb and contact are clean. I gently used some 200 grit sandpaper.
I thought of all kinds of bad things happening, but have learned this is a rather common problem with the early headlights. Before I got into the headlight housing I did check the electric fitting attached to the housing with a volt ohm meter. I wanted to be sure I had power going to the headlight and it proved to be OK.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

There are 2 styles of this bulb socket as shown in this picture :

The one on the left is much more prone to contact failures than the one on the right.
Unfortunately, by examining all the numbers on each, I cannot determine how to acquire either one ( with any level of confidence ) from the internet.
Seems from what I've seen, perhaps there is a Volvo socket that is interchangeable, but no guarantees ......

You can have a look at what you have without removing anything by identifying if the holder has the 2 smaller tabs with ribs on them as shown above, or larger tabs with no ribs, which is the desired one.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 11-06-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 AM

I have the one on the left and thats the one that was giving me problems.
QUOTE=alaxfire;706858]There are 2 styles of this bulb socket as shown in this picture :

The one on the left is much more prone to contact failures than the one on the right.
Unfortunately, by examining all the numbers on each, I cannot determine how to acquire either one ( with any level of confidence ) from the internet.
Seems from what I've seen, perhaps there is a Volvo socket that is interchangeable, but no guarantees ......

You can have a look at what you have without removing anything by identifying if the holder has the 2 smaller tabs with ribs on them as shown above, or larger tabs with no ribs, which is the desired one.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-27-2014, 09:40 AM

Does anyone know where I can buy the one on the left at?

Old 03-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by twlbrownjr@gmail.com
Does anyone know where I can buy the one on the left at?
Try this thread for an answer.