Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Hid install and problems (video and pics)

Old 12-20-2012, 02:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hid install and problems (video and pics)

My hid's came in a few days ago and had them installed , they are the 30$ kits off of eBay and so far they work great

They are 8000k and took about an hour in total install time (majority of that time was doing the passenger side)

The kit didnt come with a gromet so I had followed the thread on here 90% of the way through but here's how I had opened the rear side of the low beam housing cap

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...686-83118.html

I cut a slit in the cap using scissors and I made it just large enough to get the wires though but small enough to cover any open space with a little electrical tap in case I began to have condensation

I would say aside from installing the passenger side (I didn't remove the reservoir tank)
Getting the metal clips to clip on was difficult , had to run the wires through first than mount the clip , here's how they looked when finished

Driver side

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...687-83119.html

Passenger side , It's hard to see but the ballast was mounted right under the tubing

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...688-83120.html

Forgot to take a before shot but here is two after shots , the first one in the day and the second at night

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...689-83121.html

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...690-83122.html

Now here are the issues I'm having , while they do great and very bright the beam isn't straight , it looks like there is an arrow of light on the ground , I sorta solved this by re seating the bulb and although that helped a little bit there is still a beam of light on the ground. I'll get a picture up tomorrow but what I think may be the issue is all the condensation on the head light housing it self ? Can someone confirm?

The other issue I took a video of , every time I turn my lights on the dash flashes and all the guages drop and reset as if the car lost all power for a moment , this never happened before the kit was installed anyone have any ideas?
Here's the vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC6d...e_gdata_player

I feel like it may have to do with the battery , as I have the original battery with the car but if anyone has any other ideas please let me know , thanks in advance

Last edited by Jackerman; 12-20-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:06 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Hid install and problems(video and pics)

For the gauge dropping problem I'd say fitting a capacitor on your battery might solve it. The capacitor will store some juice, then release it when the battery output drops for any reason.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:26 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Hid install and problems(video and pics)

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
For the gauge dropping problem I'd say fitting a capacitor on your battery might solve it. The capacitor will store some juice, then release it when the battery output drops for any reason.
The kit I bought came with capacitors for the ballasts and I haven't had any problems other than the usual flicker when the bulbs warm up. But probably wouldn't hurt to take your battery to Autozone and have it checked. I know Walmart sells one for $120-ish and only a $9 core charge. Seems though with everyone on the forum if electronics start acting weird and your battery is over 5 years old it might be time for a new one.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Hid install and problems (video and pics)

If it IS the original (White cased) battery, it's time to replace it.

JMHO, but many would agree. Before it causes other issues.

Does your spoiler go up when this happens?

Oh, the bulb is still not seated properly. Try rotating the bulb in-place while it is ON. You will see when it sits in the "sweet spot".

Old 12-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Forum Regular

Look up the battery list here on the forums, and buy the OEM replacement, because I've seen people have better results with OEM than third party ones.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:56 PM

Look up the battery list here on the forums, and buy the OEM replacement, because I've seen people have better results with OEM than third party ones.
Please list these references?

Old 12-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Please list these references?
I'd like to know as well, is the $200 battery from the stealership better than the same battery with another brand sticker on the side at nearly half the price?

Old 12-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replys guys , first of all I have no clue wat a capacitor is but after my recent post about my battery having build up I think it may ne time for a new one , and no when i flip the switch the spoiler doesn't rise.

Any batteries you guys suggest ? I was using a diehard battery when i replaced the battery in my Vw , worked great and no issues
But any suggestions wouldn't mind

Old 12-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would have to agree with get the battery changed out. My 04 with the OEM was doing great.. didn't hesitate a bit.. stereo playing while working on her 15-20 minutes and fire right off. Then one morning.. click. And this was after a cross town drive no headlights burning. You don't get the old school "slow cranking" warning. For what its worth.. I got the Autozone OEM spec'd replacement. Right at $140..if I recall correctly it also had a 3 year free replacement warranty and pro rated after that for a total of 6 years..

Old 12-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Forum Regular

The reason I said to stick to OEM is because a while back my buddy ran into issues with a brand new third party battery, of a lesser known company about 4 months after he got it. Then on my 06 altima, i changed the battery with a cheaper one and the thing gave it starting issues. It wouldn't have enough cold cranking power I'm guessing since it was during winter. The battery I got for the crossfire is the same exact model the car came with originally, and havent had one single issues related to it. Just my .02 cents

Ohh, and 180, I didn't mean to buy a battery from the stealership, I just meant to get the OEM replacement model. Even if it has another sticker on it lol
Mine was exactly 140 bucks when i replaced it on the crossfire, but I just made sure the model matched the OEM as far as specs go.

Last edited by Adrian_X; 12-20-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:42 PM

The reason .................. The battery I got for the crossfire is the same exact model the car came with originally, and havent had one single issues related to it. Just my .02 cents

Ohh, and 180, I didn't mean to buy a battery from the stealership, I just meant to get the OEM replacement model. Even if it has another sticker on it lol
Mine was exactly 140 bucks when i replaced it on the crossfire, but I just made sure the model matched the OEM as far as specs go.
Now you are saying it just matches the specs of the OEM battery, what ensures that it is not a crappy battery?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Forum Regular

Well I guess if I get cash this Christmas I'll treat myself to a new battery , hopefully I do
I have noticed with the rear defog on radio on low beam and fog lights on my dash looks a little dim

Thanks for the input guys , I just got the led for my eyelid parking lights , I guess I'll wait on a new battery before I attempt to install them

Old 12-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought mine appx year ago at firestone for $100.00
is a interstate and drop in replacement.
they did all the work and their check charging and electrical system.
no problems

Old 12-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Forum Regular

You could be right 180, I might have just gotten a crappy battery from the other brand. The one I got on the crossfire is an interstate, and I was just saying I checked on it to make sure it was made to replace the OEM one the car came with.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Forum Regular

If it IS the original (White cased) battery, it's time to replace it.

JMHO, but many would agree. Before it causes other issues.

Does your spoiler go up when this happens?

Oh, the bulb is still not seated properly. Try rotating the bulb in-place while it is ON. You will see when it sits in the "sweet spot".
Thank you max , I just seated them with lights on and now they are even with eachother , after seating them I still felt they were pointed to low so I reaimed the passenger side to where I felt would be best but the driver side stalk (the part you turn to aim the lights) doesn't seem to wanna reach the height I had set the passenger side to , it also doesn't seem to get tight like the passenger side did , any ideas anyone ?

Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 PM

I found it very easy to adjust them too high. If you back away from a flat vertical surface ~ 25', the cutoff line should be the same height as the center of the low beam lens. If you use "search", {and I'm not being an a-hole!), use "aiming headlights" and read a bit. Some different approaches.

I pull up at night behind a line of parallel parked cars and adjust height so it is just below the side/rear-view mirrors on the farthest cars.

If you turn on the high beams, do they look correct? Or cross-eyed? You may still have a bulb in wonky.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Forum Regular

I found it very easy to adjust them too high. If you back away from a flat vertical surface ~ 25', the cutoff line should be the same height as the center of the low beam lens. If you use "search", {and I'm not being an a-hole!), use "aiming headlights" and read a bit. Some different approaches.

I pull up at night behind a line of parallel parked cars and adjust height so it is just below the side/rear-view mirrors on the farthest cars.

If you turn on the high beams, do they look correct? Or cross-eyed? You may still have a bulb in wonky.
I did all that parked in front of the neighbors garage , and as of now they are at the center of the low beams except the driver side., I've.searched this topic a few times I'm actually a little worried the driver stalk is broken , it doesn't get tight and when i begin to unscrew the beam just dropped

When i turn on the lights in front of a vertical surface one beam is right next to the other beam so the focal points aren't crossed like they used to be
I'll do done more reading I guess , maybe I just need to fiddle around with it some more

Old 12-22-2012, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jackerman
I did all that parked in front of the neighbors garage , and as of now they are at the center of the low beams except the driver side., I've.searched this topic a few times I'm actually a little worried the driver stalk is broken , it doesn't get tight and when i begin to unscrew the beam just dropped

When i turn on the lights in front of a vertical surface one beam is right next to the other beam so the focal points aren't crossed like they used to be
I'll do done more reading I guess , maybe I just need to fiddle around with it some more
Is this your problem? (click)

Old 12-23-2012, 02:15 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Is this your problem? (click)
Yes exactly, I actually read that thread a few days prior to getting my HIDs in the mail , the passenger side goes up to a certain point but no higher , It's dropped before and since then it won't go past a certain point
The only difference between my problem and the op is that "pop" sound , I never heard it or any noise for that matter

Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Forum Regular

Just wanted to show everyone What was done recently , I FINALLY got the led parking lights in after having them sit in the glove box for a week now and they look great !
The driver side first took about 10 minutes trying to wedge a wrench on it and get them out but once they are out It's pretty easy to get them back in
Just use some needle nose pliers to get the socket back in , grab the wrench and turn 90 degrees clock wise and they snap back on , the passenger side was , Well just a b**** , took twenty minutes and few scrapes on my hand but it is definitely possible to do without removing the head light , and actually getting the passenger side off wasn't a big deal it was getting them back on and turning them that was difficult
Here's Wat they look like at night

Link :
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...0700-83238.jpg

Link to 2nd image :

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...0699-83239.jpg

Quick Reply: Hid install and problems (video and pics)