Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Fun with decals on the third brake light.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fun with decals on the third brake light.

So I'm going through amazon.com to see if I find anything worth my money to get for the crossfire.
This for some reason pulled my eye a bit, and I personally think it's both a fun little mod and cheap.

What do you guys think? Is it worth to get a few laughs out of the people we leave behind when we pull away in our xfires?

BATMAN BEGINS - 3rd Third Brake Light Vinyl Decal Mask Kit #1077 | Vinyl Color: Black : Amazon.com : Automotive BATMAN BEGINS - 3rd Third Brake Light Vinyl Decal Mask Kit #1077 | Vinyl Color: Black : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 12-23-2012, 02:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fun with decals on the third brake light.

How does this even work ? It does look cool though

Old 12-23-2012, 02:17 AM
Forum Regular

You clean the surface right where the third brake light lights up on the rear window, and then apply the vinyl sticker of the proper size right in the middle of the light area. Looks pretty cool though! haha

Old 12-23-2012, 02:20 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I did something similar...

The ambient lighting is horrible but you get the idea

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG1729.jpg (480.0 KB, 256 views)
Old 12-23-2012, 03:30 AM
Forum Regular

You, sir, need to tell me how you pulled that off. Looks absolutely sick!

Old 12-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thats neat!

Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
You, sir, need to tell me how you pulled that off. Looks absolutely sick!
About a year ago, a member on here (JimmySkullz) sent me some decals. One of those was the "Crossfire" letters. Since I don't have any "stickers" on the body of my car, I was at a loss as to how I was going to use them. They were red die-cut vinyl, but then I noticed the letter height was roughly the same as the center high-mount stop light (or CHMSL, as we refer to it in the auto industry).

I had to remove the rear wing to address a common leak/rust issue, so while I had the trim off I very carefully removed the CHMSL and applied the letters. I sprayed multiple coats of black Krylon Fusion over the entire red plastic area. After the paint had reached a tack-point, I very carefully used a needle/pin to lift each individual letter off the CHMSL. The result was pretty neat -- now, every time I apply the brakes, the word "CROSSFIRE" lights up. I like this mod especially since I de-badged the rear deck; this preserves the car's identity a bit.

Someone in the vinyl industry could easily replicate this, by offering the "strip" of black vinyl with the Crossfire letters cut out. All one would have to do is simply clean the surface of the CHMSL with alcohol, peel & stick, and secure with a heat gun/hair dryer. No painting, no tedious peeling. Best yet -- if you don't like the effect, you can peel it off. This could work for the roadster guys as well

Old 12-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Forum Regular

That is definitely a cool mod , prolly look cool if it said srt 6 instead of crossfire

Old 12-23-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jackerman
That is definitely a cool mod , prolly look cool if it said srt 6 instead of crossfire
The mod was a last-minute thought, I simply worked with what I had LOL

Old 12-23-2012, 07:09 PM

The Crossfire lettering is really COOL!! I had something like that on my Tundra's 3rd brake-light (a vinyl application). Does anyone know someone that could make up a bunch of these as a vinyl overlay????

Old 12-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I did something similar...

The ambient lighting is horrible but you get the idea
Looks great!! nice work.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Forum Regular

If anyone knows ANYONE to make a vinyl of the crossfire third brake light logo, I'll be the first to buy it.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Forum Regular

I know I wouldn't mind getting one either, maybe there is a mb version that would fit ?

Old 12-24-2012, 03:26 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe Andrew can come up with this mod. I think it's awesome....

Old 12-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Forum Regular

Shall we all flood Andrew's inbox with PM's about the lettering? lol

Old 12-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
Shall we all flood Andrew's inbox with PM's about the lettering? lol
~ i would love to help if there's an interest ... i would need some measurements of the 3rd brake light flat area.

perhaps we can keep them under $10 shipped for the crossfire font lettering?

design ideas? thoughts? will they adhere to the textured area? is it easy to disassemble?

cheers!

Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Forum Regular

Umm, the only problem is the fact that it would need me to take out the third brake light lol. I think I would break that stuff in a second since I'm not well versed with assembly stuff. Who wants to put in the lettering for me? I'll pay in beer/money/more beer if need be!:P

Old 12-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrew
~ i would love to help if there's an interest ... i would need some measurements of the 3rd brake light flat area.

design ideas? thoughts? will they adhere to the textured area? is it easy to disassemble?

cheers!
As far as the roadster goes, there is plenty of room width wise to work with. Height we are kinda limited. As far as I could accurately measure, we have a 3rd brake light that is 1" tall by 29" wide with a slight break in the middle that shouldn't affect anything as far as adherence. I would think with the bit of overlap from the spoiler that we would want to limit the character height to 3/4" and keep it around the 20" wide range. I would love to have Crossfire lettering across the lens like John showed.
The lens is very smooth so a vinyl decal should work well.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by andrew

cheers!
The red LED cover on the Coupe is smooth, but it's embossed in a convex manner -- think "reverse egg-crate". IF you prep the area with alcohol, the vinyl would have no issue sticking. I'd say to use an adhesion promoter (3M vinyl adhesive) but I fear that would result in a chemical "fogging" once the panels are reassembled. That area is in direct sunlight and is sealed pretty tight once everything is back in place -- meaning any outgassing would simply obscure the glass. Since the trim is held on by those dreaded plastic clips, it's best to keep the removals to a minimum.

Dis-assembly is a piece-o-cake. Remove the quarter-sized screw cover in the handle part on the lower trim panel, and remove the small torx screw. Now, firmly grab the lower trim (near the latch on the liftgate) and pull down. It simply pops off. Next, you'll see two more torx screws on the U-shaped piece of trim that surrounds the remainder of the hatch. Remove those screws, and pop the trim off. The CHMSL is now exposed -- simply loosen the three screws (Phillips head) and unplug the harness. You now have the CHMSL in your hand, ready to apply vinyl and/or paint. Reverse the process, being careful to replace any of the tiny black foam pieces used to reduce NVH (they fall off over time). Female velcro can work as well, if you've lost all of the silencers.

Cheers,

Old 12-25-2012, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
The red LED cover on the Coupe is smooth, but it's embossed in a convex manner -- think "reverse egg-crate". IF you prep the area with alcohol, the vinyl would have no issue sticking. I'd say to use an adhesion promoter (3M vinyl adhesive) but I fear that would result in a chemical "fogging" once the panels are reassembled. That area is in direct sunlight and is sealed pretty tight once everything is back in place -- meaning any outgassing would simply obscure the glass. Since the trim is held on by those dreaded plastic clips, it's best to keep the removals to a minimum.

Dis-assembly is a piece-o-cake. Remove the quarter-sized screw cover in the handle part on the lower trim panel, and remove the small torx screw. Now, firmly grab the lower trim (near the latch on the liftgate) and pull down. It simply pops off. Next, you'll see two more torx screws on the U-shaped piece of trim that surrounds the remainder of the hatch. Remove those screws, and pop the trim off. The CHMSL is now exposed -- simply loosen the three screws (Phillips head) and unplug the harness. You now have the CHMSL in your hand, ready to apply vinyl and/or paint. Reverse the process, being careful to replace any of the tiny black foam pieces used to reduce NVH (they fall off over time). Female velcro can work as well, if you've lost all of the silencers.

Cheers,
Any chance of a couple of pics of the screw locations on the Coupe. Cheers

Quick Reply: Fun with decals on the third brake light.