Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Needing an honest/brutal opinion of a mod.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Needing an honest/brutal opinion of a mod.

Hi All, I'm a bit new hear but always been a car guy. I'm needing an honest/brutal opinion of a mod I've been considering. It doesn't add performance, it doesn't add bling (which I'm not a fan of)...it's strictly a thing for practicality. These cars have really long doors like most coupes and my 72 year old father has had trouble getting in and out. What is every ones opinion of the lambo-type door conversion? Yes, I'm guessing I'll probably get some "ricer" comments and I'm not sure that's not accurate. But if the door swings out slightly and then rotates up...it'd make the care ALOT easier to get in and out of the car. I don't know that I'm even serious...just thinking outloud. Opinions? I'd hate to ruin the car but wondering how practical this mod might be?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: Needing an honest/brutal opinion of a mod.

Id suggest that you save the effort, money, the reduction in car value, and hassle. Get around the car and assist your dad getting in and out.

This is assuming that he is a passenger, not the driver but you did not specify that point. If he is driving, Iam not sure that the door is going to assist the situation//

More logical comment; have you had him sit in a car with the funny doors to see if they are any better or possibly worse to get in and out???

Woody

Old 12-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Default Re: Needing an honest/brutal opinion of a mod.

I just park in an area that I can swing the doors wide open to crawl out of.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, and welcome from another Indy XFire. Mine is in hibernation at the moment, but if you want to grab a beer and hook up sometime, let me know.

When done correctly, the lambo doors do look good on an XF, but there is only 1 kit to the best of my knowledge that allows you to not have to cut or modify anything OEM, and still is fully functional, but it is pretty expensive, around $2K if memory serves. I would have to think long and hard before doing something like this. Hell, you could get a beater SUV for that kind of money

Old 12-27-2012, 04:46 PM

How bad can Dad be? I'm 76, 2 replaced knees, a back that may need surgery, and I can't imagine not having the door handle to help pull myself up a little while getting out.
Gravity helps getting in, and just swing the legs in after sitting down. Besides, the lambo doors really swing up pretty high, and there possibly could be a problem with lower than average garage ceilings and or lights hung from the ceiling.

I'll drive and struggle with my Crossie till they carry me out..... just sayin

Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Hmmmm, I wonder if they can classify lambo doors as a medical equipment necessity for handicapped access to our cars. If I could get it approved, maybe the VA will spring for it (as it sits, I am drawing a disability payment from the VA). Hmmm, it'll be like them people on the TV that sell those mobility chairs, you know, can't get in/out of your XF? Call us and with little or no money from you, we'll install these medically approved lambo doors. We'll work hard for your benefits! Oh, if we can stretch those benefits a little more, maybe they'll install a power swivel/lift chair too? It would only be on the drivers side so I would not need both sides. Aren't I kind not to have two swivel/lift seats installed? Now all I need is a doctor in my pocket to authorize this type of 'medical equipment' for my primary transportation! I better get right on it, that fiscal cliff might hinder my 'acquisition'... OMG I am having so much fun with this... Really though, sometimes this little story has more truth to it than fantasy.

Back on subject, I would pass on the lambo doors, I think it would be good monies going for naught. Waldig has the right idea, it is less expensive, will not malfunction and hurt/kill someone you love, and may just strengthen your bond with your Dad.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

We had member here who had them. Quality doors too. Srtsix but he's been absent for awhile now He loved them. It's your car. It's your Dad. But I would research hard to find a good installer as well as a kit. If you and John want to meet for a beer or tea let me know. Welcome.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
We had member here who had them. Quality doors too. Srtsix but he's been absent for awhile now He loved them. It's your car. It's your Dad. But I would research hard to find a good installer as well as a kit. If you and John want to meet for a beer or tea let me know. Welcome.
tburris has the lambo doors.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:49 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found an easy way to get in and out of our XF.

Sit down, butt first, then swing legs in.

To get out, swing legs out, stand up.

I show the wife and she agrees, it is much easier.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 AM

If the lambos will help him to get in and out easier then do it. I am not sure if they are good or not as I have heard mixed emotions on them. As far as appearance only mods, a nice set of old school Mercedes gullwing doors would be freakin sweet I would think. Who will be the first? lol Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

One member had them on one of his families Crossfires and took them off. PM RMADERMAN and ask for an opinion based on his experience.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You can always go with some 24" Black-Jackk Spinners. That should get you high enough to make getting in and out much easier!

Old 12-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi
You can always go with some 24" Black-Jackk Spinners. That should get you high enough to make getting in and out much easier!
bazinga!

I have been holding out from posting on this topic because I have nothing good to say about how these doors look when opened, how they flap in the wind like a wounded bird, Ruin a crossfire by trying to make it look like a budget civic with a bad set of hinges to make it look like a lambo. +1 point at a car show is not really worth it

I would say, instead of buying one of those kits just take the passenger side door off and leave it in the garage. Lots of room to get in, no door dings, light weight. If a jeep can do it... Why not?

Old 12-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

The brutal answers have started to flow, hang on to your hats.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

+1 to Beaner's answer, and if it is a roadster, even better !!!
Guess you'd have to figure out where to remount the door speakers though .......
( and be VERY careful driving by that neighbor's house that has that pesky Doberman that likes to chase cars )

Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 AM

+1 just ditch the ole crossfire for a street-legal dunebuggy and be done, lol. As stated, they do make a gullwing kit. It just swings up, no swivel, so I would think it would be a much better alternative. It is a bit pricey but it would be too sweet!

Old 12-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockbasses
I found an easy way to get in and out of our XF.

Sit down, butt first, then swing legs in.

To get out, swing legs out, stand up.

I show the wife and she agrees, it is much easier.
This is the easy way, especially if the door isn't open all the way.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a kit on craigslist if you're still considering them. Lamborghini door kit

Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycrossfire04
These cars have really long doors like most coupes and my 72 year old father has had trouble getting in and out.
Ahhh, HUH?