Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Blond Chick With Both Headlights Out

Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blond Chick With Both Headlights Out

Howdy! I am brand new to this forum and I am hoping to get some advice... Both of my low beam headlights went out at the same time. The high beams work as well as the side/parking lights and the fog lamps. The fuse is working fine but I was unable to check the actual bulb because I could not pull them out, they were stuck. Is there a tool I need in order to pull the blub from its station? I am wondering if this might be an electrical issue. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Blond Chick With Both Headlights Out

Originally Posted by crossfire#2
Howdy! I am brand new to this forum and I am hoping to get some advice... Both of my low beam headlights went out at the same time. The high beams work as well as the side/parking lights and the fog lamps. The fuse is working fine but I was unable to check the actual bulb because I could not pull them out, they were stuck. Is there a tool I need in order to pull the blub from its station? I am wondering if this might be an electrical issue. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
The plug has to be pulled off the bulb using a pair if pliers gripping the center bar of the 'H'. It is quite hard to pull off.
The spring clip is then released by pushing it sideways from under the catch at the bottom, the bulb can then be taken out. Do not remove the spring clip from the lamp unit, just swing it up out of the way and it is tricky to put back in. The spring can get lost so if it falls off attach it to a piece of string when trying to put it back in. No joke it works and saves losing the clip.

It is important to reseat the bulb accurately in its seat or the beam will be way out of position. It may be easier to check if there is any power to the bulb with a volt meter or a test bulb with out removing the bulb, you can see the contacts to check in the picture, they are each side of the 'H'. This would see if it was the bulb or a power issue. Good luck.

This is a view of the low beam bulb.

Last edited by onehundred80; 01-14-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess being Blonde we can let it slide that she already posted this..and got responses.. LOL

Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I guess being Blonde we can let it slide that she already posted this..and got responses.. LOL

She obviously enjoys talking about her headlights!!!!!

PS I hope her "high beams" are still working fine.

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 01-14-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6

Who knows ? She could have paid thousands of $$$ for those "headlights".

Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
Who knows ? She could have paid thousands of $$$ for those "headlights".
Hopefully bought and paid for at the same time.. not waiting on an Ebay sale for one..

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6

Yep.. she states high beams still work.. guess she could run around like that for a while.. cops would understand..

Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Forum Regular

I doubt that you have an electrical problem. It's not unusual for both bulbs to give up at the same time. They're manufactured with the same materials and the same process and operate simultaneously for the same amount of time. When they reach their lifespan, it's over. I'm sure that by simply replacing them you'll correct the problem.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:05 AM

It's official, after reading the title I realized I'm a dirty old man!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Aoffel
It's official, after reading the title I realized I'm a dirty old man!
Somebody was hoping for pics..

Old 01-17-2013, 06:58 PM

Thank you onehundred80 for taking the time to type out your wonderful advice. It was incredibly tough to pull the connector off but I finally got it. I kept feeling as if the pliers would snap it in half. I have worked on cars is the past and that was ridicules in comparison to replacing rotors. The passenger side light was the worst. I have very small hands and I could hardly get to it. Tying a string around the clamp was a great idea. Even though they both stayed in place I can see how it would be easy to drop.
I appreciate both you and John replying to my post respectfully and treating me with dignity.
Kindest Regards,
Tammy

Last edited by crossfire#2; 01-17-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by crossfire#2
Thank you onehundred80 for taking the time to type out your wonderful advice. It was incredibly tough to pull the connector off but I finally got it. I kept feeling as if the pliers would snap it in half. I have worked on cars is the past and that was ridicules in comparison to replacing rotors. The passenger side light was the worst. I have very small hands and I could hardly get to it. Tying a string around the clamp was a great idea. Even though they both stayed in place I can see how it would be easy to drop.
I appreciate both you and John replying to my post respectfully and treating me with dignity.
Kindest Regards,
Tammy
Onehundred80 is a nice guy, unlike the remainder of us dirty old men. I would like to apologize for the entire group if you were offended. We had already seen that all your questions had been answered, so boys were just being boys.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ottawa John
I doubt that you have an electrical problem. It's not unusual for both bulbs to give up at the same time. They're manufactured with the same materials and the same process and operate simultaneously for the same amount of time. When they reach their lifespan, it's over. I'm sure that by simply replacing them you'll correct the problem.
I think it is rare for bulbs to have the filament burn out at the same time unless they had a surge in power.

Bulbs last a varying amount of time, they do get more delicate as they see more service but to go out at the same instant would be extremely rare.

Two bulbs burning side by side using the same power source will fail within a certain span of time, that time span cannot be measured in minutes or seconds. Hours or days most likely unless there was a premature failure of one bulb due to some weakness or other.

In this case it is possible that one bulb burnt out and went unnoticed for some time and only when both bulbs were out was the trouble detected.

My OEM lows used with DTRL's went out within two weeks of each other after 20,000 miles of continuous service, probably a matter of a few hours, close but not the same time.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

180, Are your lights always on??. L.O.L. Lorne

Old 01-18-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by lorne
180, Are your lights always on??. L.O.L. Lorne
Hi Lorne, keeping busy?
I hope to see you both in the spring.
I'm all lit up.