Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

LED Back-UP Lights Find

Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED Back-UP Lights Find

Like many other forum members, I've been on a quest to convert all of my lights to LEDs, slowly but surely. My latest concentration was on the tail-light assemblies. Replaced the tail/brake lights not long ago, but wanted to tackle the back-up lights also to improve light output. Happened to run upon these for sale on eBay:

Optical Projector High Power 1156 7506 P21W LED Bulbs Powered by 7W CREE XP G H | eBay

Similar bulbs from IDJMtoys cost aroudn $35 a piece. I put in a best offer of 9.99 which was accepted, for both bulbs. Here are the results:

On the left is the new bulb, on the right, the OEM.

Sorry for the grainy night-time shot, but you get an idea of the color and light output.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: LED Back-UP Lights Find

The dash bulb out warning goes out after putting in gear doesn't it?

I could live with that along with my hyper flash signals.. LOL.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 AM

Yes, of course it does. Haha. I'm used to it being illuminated with the tail-lights. My plan is just to disable it eventually. If I wired resistors to each bulb, it wouldn't show if one was out anyway. So why not?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

but wanted to tackle the back-up lights also to improve light output
While they are not LED, I install 55w Halogen backup bulbs in all my cars including the Crossfire and have done so for years. The improved light emmission is great....

Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a good find Smokey, thanks for sharing. The taillights/brakes light LED's are installed and working great, thanks BTW!

Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: LED Back-UP Lights Find

I had tested these and found them better looking but I cant see them, ??? I like the idea of the halogen lamps also, as backing can be an issue and brighter safer, plus some dingo wont say that they missed seeing it. Back ups are on for a short time so heat is not an issue to me.

Light out indicators, I believe that it is of value to have it working and so a resistor on a led is a good idea. Back in the day when I worked for Fort Fumble, the Leds were so reliable that the military dropped the requirement on tank, planes and other items to have a lamp test button. This button; lite up all the lights so you could visually test the lamps. This was another button, people did not use it and leds did not fail like regular lamps.

I have a bunch of resistors for my car and many more if others - YOU - want some. Just send me a normal sized pre stamped envelope with your address and a dollar and Ill send you 6 100 ohm 2 watt resistors so you can do the brake light (4 ) filaments and two others - turn or back up. THis allows you to still know if the lamps in the rest of the car are still working - rather than adding a piece of tape over the lamp-out-indicator. That would be bad practice in my mind.

Enjoy, Woody

Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM

Have gotten a few requests, here is my address for those who want the 1$ RESISTOR set of 6 returned in you SASE. Woody Enjoy

Woody Woodworth
4800 Carharpin Rd
Gainesville, Va 20155

Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 PM

Snapped a couple more pictures tonight for reference. Very happy, especially with on $10 at stake.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:33 PM

Looking forward to them coming in within the next couple days..

Edit: They made it in..
They are now in
Will see how much light output they have tonight..

Last edited by Mrmiata; 02-09-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 PM

I tried to offer best offer $9.99, they denied! Ha Ha, they are already catching on.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by JesseJamessrt6
I tried to offer best offer $9.99, they denied! Ha Ha, they are already catching on.
ahaha me too i am going to over 11 if not then il just buy it for asking price

Old 02-09-2013, 11:12 PM

Well went and played with them since it's now dark.. Don't see a problem backing into the pole barn now! Did notice it might not hurt to polish the lenses a liittle though..

And just for grins I popped the holder into the tail light. In case anyone wonders about white LED's in that position.. it washes out to a slight shade of orange tint.

These are bright enough to be brake lights, and would slightly blind someone behind you at the right angle. Yeah I got down and looked.. LOL.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 PM

Here is some more info on adding resistors on the wiring to keep the lamp out indicator from getting in your face.

The resistor (s) are connected - wired across the light bulb. One wire goes to the ground wire, the other lead is connected to the filament wire. For the brake light, there two resistors , one for the tail light, the other resistor for the brake part of the light. It has two filaments.

Here is a photo of the resistor and a few of its friends.

The resistors are rated at 2 watts and have 100 ohms resistance. That draws about 0.12 amps and consumes or loses about 1.4 watts. I have plugged these resistors on 12 volts for 2 hours to see that they can survive without issue. Now they do dissipate heat and are hot to the touch so dont wrap them in tape, or insulation. Free air. The wire leads should be covered with insulation or sleeving so as to prevent shorts .... I have tested these and without any bulb in the socket, the resistor draws enough power to keep the lamp indicator off , yeah.

The red leds are the best for the brake lights, the blue lamps are great for the backup, the white ones are not as focused and seem about 1/3 dimmer than the blue ones. Again, I did not choose to spend more for the amber lamps, they were too rich for my taste - now.

These are the lamps I played with, the multiple led stacks are neet, but not too good - avoid all of them - please.

I made two short videos showing the operation of the leds in and out of the tail light. It was going wrong and I could not figure what was happening.....backup light was blinking, the turn signal was flickering?????????? Well the battery voltage was about 9.9 volts due to all the testing and my trickle charger was not working........... Read on.

The trickle charger has a two pin connector and I leave the leads on the battery connected.When I park the car I plug the trickle charger in and keep it happy. GOT SKUNKED>>>>>>>>WHHHAAATTTTT. The connector has a dust cover that is a dummy connector to use when the charger is not connected, well being in one of my tizzies, I plugged the charger into the dust cover......not smart and the battery was depleted. The dust connector is no more, I cant remember to get one out of two. Too many choices.

Enjoy the videos, the leds were on only 9.9 volts, brighter on 13 volts to be sure.

Party on Woody Ebay links follow..

EBAY LIGHTS

2X Bright Red CREE Q5 7W SMD LED Auto Tail Brake Park 1157 BAY15D 12V DC New | eBay RED

2pcs 1156 BA15S 3W CREE Q5 High Power Auto Signal Stop Tail LED Light Bulb White | eBay WHITE

2 Pcs High Power S25 LED Q5 7W Car Bulb 1156 BA15S CREE LED Taillight | eBay BLUE

Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM

Thanks Woody!
After buying those high dollar abmbers myself.. and having got the 7W backup lights.. I thought a rating along those lines would be the only thing really acceptable. Oh.. and I'm guessing there is a "sensor" current for the backups.. light out on dash warning.. I just hate the thought of altering the wiring.. Guess I'll run them till canbus come along.. then put in the Miata.. she don't care.. LOL

Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM

Curiosity discovered this weekend..

Left the car running for the wife while I ran in to pick up pizza since the drive through was 4 cars deep. Backed into the spot facing away from the store..coming out I discovered the backup light was slightly lit. Just one. Getting back to the cabin (Bed and Breakfast weekend) I couldn't just say hmm.. so pulled the panels and after taking the glowing led out.. the other one lit. swapped positions between the two and same bulb noticed originally still lit up. Since I've got the dash out full time, I'm gussing there is a low voltage sent through at all times. Now the funny thing on that theory.. the front driving marker seems to break contact on occasion.. it won't throw the dash error though until lights are turned on. A few bumps down the road and it comes on - turning off the dash warning.
Gotta luv these cars and the oddities!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 PM

Waldig,

Received the resistors today. Thanks! Do you have a recommended way to attach the resistors, aside from solder? Thanks.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=tonygg;723011]While they are not LED, I install 55w Halogen backup bulbs in all my cars including the Crossfire and have done so for years. The improved light emmission is great....

I'm in the market for some BRIGHT backup bulbs. What you are using has caught my interest. Would you mind sharing, where did you find them, what model, etc.? Thank...

Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Curiosity discovered this weekend..

Left the car running for the wife while I ran in to pick up pizza since the drive through was 4 cars deep. Backed into the spot facing away from the store..coming out I discovered the backup light was slightly lit. Just one. Getting back to the cabin (Bed and Breakfast weekend) I couldn't just say hmm.. so pulled the panels and after taking the glowing led out.. the other one lit. swapped positions between the two and same bulb noticed originally still lit up. Since I've got the dash out full time, I'm gussing there is a low voltage sent through at all times. Now the funny thing on that theory.. the front driving marker seems to break contact on occasion.. it won't throw the dash error though until lights are turned on. A few bumps down the road and it comes on - turning off the dash warning.
Gotta luv these cars and the oddities!
Oh.. update.. LOL. After playing with the little resistors 2w 100ohm I believe..one - two - three - in series.. I finally tossed in the 25w ceramic.. no more "dim glow" full time and dash light out only when in reverse now.. and no big deal...

Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Forum Regular

I found this bulb...any thoughts?

RV Boat LED Reading Light Bulb 150 Lum 1383 1156 Base 8 30 Volts 12V 1010503 | eBay

Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-1156-BA15S-7W-Cree-Q5-High-Power-Auto-Signal-Stop-Tail-LED-Light-Bulb-White-/281076582202?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417178473a&vxp=mtr
I can read with my cigarette lighter.. LOL.

Also I had the 25w ceramic on hand.. a 5w might work.. if you end up with the "constant dim" lit light..

Can't vouch for these.. but stay in the 7w range..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-1156-Ba15s-CREE-Q5-7W-White-High-Power-LED-Reverse-Light-Bulb-FREE-SHIPPING-/271185372385?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f23e864e1&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Mrmiata; 04-09-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: LED Back-UP Lights Find