Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Back window on convertible

Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back window on convertible

Recently purchased 2005 Limited convertible. Love the car but noticed that the one corner of the back window is coming apart from the top. Noticed the separation when I bought the car but thought it would be an easy glue job. About 8 inches so far has come away from the adhesive. I am new to this forum but noticed some early threads that mentioned to call the Chrysler hotline number which I did but she said my vin number doesn't pertain to any recalls on back window/top. Any suggestions on how best to fix this problem? Thanks.

Also, need another key as car only came with one. Dealer will be priced higher. Any recommended sites to get one from? Thanks again.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Back window on convertible

There are a couple of threads on this. Luckily, they are being repaired by Chrysler-if you jump through all of the correct hoops.

And sacrifice a goat.

Or two.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Whats needed is a list of states this "warranty" is valid with concerning the original sales point. Or does that matter completely even? New York dealer trades red car with black car from Florida dealer.. does red car now end up SOL even though it was purchased from the Florida dealer?
Almost seems like you need a celestial chart to let them know which moon was rising in what house at the exact time of purchase too..

Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

This is a warranty issue with hte 05 Roadsters. I have letters from Chrysler on both of my cars that they are covered to 100,000 miles and 2015 for top issues.

How the HELL could SOME 05's be covered and others not? BALONEY.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 PM

From what I understand from reading the threads and talking with Chrysler only the 2005 crossfires sold new in the southern states are provided additional coverage. Mine was sold in PA and owner moved to Florida so I am SOOL as they say. I will stop by my local Chrysler dealer tomorrow and see what he has to offer/suggest but I don't think anyone is offering new tops to anyone unless your VIN number is one from the South. I will probably try the 3M weld like some others as they have had some luck with it. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 PM

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post683986

post #475

Hello,

There is a new rear window TSB out. The TSB is # 23-035-11 rev A. It is basically the same as the original one which replaces any 2005 roadster with the top separating from the rear window. The main difference is that in includes all states in the US. The TSB is the same number followed by a "REV A". I took my car in...I have 28000 miles on it....they took pictures of the rear window separating...in four corners...got approval in a week and had it installed by a third party interior and top shop. They did an excellent job...looks great...and I am now once again a happy owner.
There was no cost to me and it has a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Having it installed by a third party top shop that knows what there doing made all the difference. By the way...I do not have an extended warranty on the car...just the original 3/36 BtoB with a 7/70 power train warranty.
O
I wrote 4 letters to Chrysler and one to the National Safety Board before I got their attention...and finally made it happen after the new TSB. I live in Pennsylvania. The top is the original material top...but has a border around the inside if the window...I believe for better reinforcement and better high temp glue....but that's just my opinion. The new top came with the TSB which also contained detailed installation instructions as part of the TSB. They are for Chrysler techs to follow and install it. I was lucky in that my dealer agreed with me and sent it out to a local shop that does all their top and interior custom work for them. They were excellent. I was really concerned about the install...but was glad that they decided to send it out. I do not know if this new top addresses the "folds issue" that many have reported with creases forming in the fabric. I guess time will tell.

Good luck to all owners!!!! Let me know how your replacement efforts go.

Ben

Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 PM

Thanks Ben for the information on Rev A. I will go and see the local Chrysler dealer tomorrow and discuss this with them. Much appreciated.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm currently in the process myself with my roadster. The car was originally registered in NJ, but had been Texas for the past 4 to 5 years. The previous owner glued the window back in and I know it will fail again. I know I am in for a fight, but I will stick with it.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 AM

Update on back window...went to see local Chrysler dealer yesterday. Did not buy from him. No help there. He states that the service bulletin and Rev. A means nothing. It is just a tech. report telling the mechanic what is to be fixed. If your car is not on the Vin. # list you don't get the extended warranty. Suggested that I call Corporate as he has replaced a few tops but they were all on the master VIN # list as being approved for replacement. I guess you have to be a PIA to Chrysler to have any shot at this so I will start the calls on Monday. Let me know if anyone else had had this problem and was not on the master vin # list but got it approved after fighting it out. I am willing to pay a co-pay but not $3K for a new top. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Administrator

I have no idea (well SOME idea) how they put that VIN list together, but the fact is, 2005 Roadsters had this problem.

I don't see where it matters where the car was first sold or registered. Be a PITA !

Old 02-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't Know if this will help or not but..

I have a 2005 roadster purchased used from a dealer in MD. Received a notice from Chrysler dated Sept. 7, 2011 informing me that the warranty period on my roadster has been extended to 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first and applies to the back glass adhesion on the vehicle. The notice has my Vin Number printed on it along with my name & address and it is stated to bring the notice to the dealer. Also received a Reimbursement Claim Form to recover any money spent having this problem repaired on my own. This form also had my Vin Number printed on it. It may appear that the Vin Number does play a role in which car is covered and which one is not.

Hopefully Not......

Old 02-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Forum Regular

I'd love to see that VIN list. My 2005 window looks good so far, but...

Old 02-24-2013, 03:12 PM

Ben,
I'm over in doylestown, outside of Philly, and took my vert into chapman Chrysler, they ordered a new top, got it in, but said they were only given 200 bucks for the install and no top shop would touch it for anything near that....they want to do it themselves but I fear they don't know what they're doing....where did u get uyou rs done? Any advice?
Thanx,
Gary

Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM

Just an update to my previous posts about back window on 2005 convertible. Got hold of Chrysler CS Supervisor finally who at first seemed to be very concerned about my/our problem and said she would look for a fix or she would send my complaint upstairs. I tried a different strategy and I told her all I want is for Chrysler to find me a place that will fix my top for good and I will pay for it or provide me with some relief on a new top and I will pay to have it installed ($400 at two shops). If I can split the difference and get a new top and install for $1K, that is better than nothing in my book. Well...I wish I could report good news but it seems my Supervisor was either new, fired or has disappeared or something as I received a VM from a CS Rep. saying there is nothing they can do cause car was not originally registered in one of the 7 Southern States but if I go to Daytona Beach Chrysler they can give me a quote on a new Top. (Thanks for nothing). I have since left an email and VM message and still have not heard back and it has been a week. Trying now to get hold of a disputed claims manager. So in the meantime I did the 3M weld thing because it can rain a lot in Florida and the other day I had to put a towel under the corner where it came apart while out to dinner. The weld thing looks OK unless you are up close and staring at it and then you can see where it is a little rough around the one corner edging. I will put the top down today for the first time but it looks like a good bond. This is my wife's car so the top will be going down plenty. Not sure how long it will last. Meanwhile saving my loose change for a new top probably. Will keep you posted on weld plus my success with Chrysler.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 AM

"...This is my wife's car so the top will be going down plenty".

Is she aware and willing? She would beat you about the head and shoulders if she reads this...

Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
"...This is my wife's car so the top will be going down plenty".

Is she aware and willing? She would beat you about the head and shoulders if she reads this...
Seems the wife always has to pay the price for hubby getting her a roadster...

Old 03-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Ok, we'll here's your chance at a cheap fix. I have a spare black top in perfect condition off an 05 srt. I'd be willing to part withit for $600 & frt. it's a small pkg so I'm thinking the frt would be round $50.
That's it. If you want it gimme a pm. I'm in Philly area but I'm in fla for 2 weeks (boca), then back. Your call for a cheap fix on what they say is a $3500.00 top ( that's nutty) oh and btw, it took the top shop only 1 hr to put the top on, so don't let anybody snooker you with mile high uninstall prices....should be more than 150

Last edited by gehoben; 03-15-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Smile Re: Back window on convertible

Just joined this forum. I have had my 2005 Chrysler Crossfire for about 4 years. I paid it off two weeks ago. We have been having a heat wave in Pa. for about 2 weeks now, and my back window fell away from my convertible top. I called Chrysler, no recalls. Called them again about an extended warranty bulletin. That only covers ten states, and they are all in the South, Florida, texas, georgia, etc. I called the dealer, no fix, will only replace for $3000. Called every upholstery shop in Lebanon pa. No one will touch it. Today i finally found a shop in Lancaster, pa that will reglue my window for about $200. They also said if i want a new top, it will cost about $1300 and take a few weeks. Gibbles Auto Upholstery in Manheim pa. I am very happy. I drop the car off tonight, will be done by Monday. This car has been sitting under a tarp for weeks. Will repost and let you know how the window reglue works out.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Administrator

$1300 for a new top? That's $900 less than I've ever heard!

Anyway... I think that if you fight the good, long, fight - you can get Chrysler to replace it. It is not a SOUTHERN problem, it's a HEAT versus poor glue problem!
Chrysler had better step up to the plate if they expect to sell any of us another car.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Forum Regular

What do you think about gluing a canvas frame on the inside after the normal re-glue?

Quick Reply: Back window on convertible