Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Mystery Turn Signal Light

Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mystery Turn Signal Light

Originally Posted by brad4cad
I purchased silver gray '04 in October with 55k, except for the steering wheel height lever it is same as a mint condition '08.

Now the bad news...condensation in the headlight cover on the right side, all the time.

And the signal light on the left side has a mystery short...I have a dozen new bulbs, they are so easy to change out...I thought it was too easy to believe!!

How do I break the routine of opening the hood, giving a simple left hand twist to the fixture ring, pull out the fixture, pull the little yellow bulb, insert new one, replace fixture, insert key, start car, push signal lever for a left turn, exhale when I get a nice easy blinking cadence, push signal lever for right turn, smile when I get a nice steady cadence on the right side, satisfied...I go for a drive, at my street intersection I must turn left to oncoming traffic, I push he lever down for a left turn...to my dismay I get the fast clicking cadence of a blown signal light, and there is no reflection of my light blinking in the oncoming traffic just sitting there waiting for me to take my right-of-way, and drive straight thru. I drive on...when get to the next left turn, I try again, and again I get the nice cadence of a flashing light.

I am so tired of the embarrassment, I am searching for a signal switch under the dash...don't see one. Can some help...where is the junction must likely to short. Please come to me, my Sherlock Holmes!!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Mystery Turn Signal Light

It sounds like a common bad connection with the lamp socket. I don't recall the exact repair needed, but search around and you will find the answer. Doubtful it is a short but rather an 'open' at the socket connection.

The right side light assembly may have one of the vent tubes missing allowing water to get into the housing. More on the subject elsewhere.

Last edited by James1549; 03-21-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 PM

Thanx James,

There are just two terminal post in the housing...I noticed that one was showing some wear...it was'nt shiny like the other...I immediately read that as needing a replacement housing that's going to be a nice little warm day job, that's if I can find a new housing. Do you have any idea for finding the part number, seems that index have totally ignored any references to signal lights...I am the only one having the problem.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:23 AM

try dielectric grease, if not new socket. As far as condensation, remove the rear headlight access cover and let a hair dryer evaporate the moisture out. Then apply the headlight TSB that helps prevent the water from getting back in as James pointed out above.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Smile Re: Mystery Turn Signal Light

James you are my Sherlock Holmes...headed to Autozone right now.

Many Thanx, nothing better than getting it from Pros.