Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Condensation and a short

Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Condensation and a short

I purchased silver gray '04 in October with 55k, except for the steering wheel height lever it is same as a mint condition '08.

Now the bad news...condensation in the headlight cover on the right side, all the time.

And the signal light on the left side has a mystery short...I have a dozen new bulbs, they are so easy to change out...I thought it was too easy to believe!!

How do I break the routine of opening the hood, giving a simple left hand twist to the fixture ring, pull out the fixture, pull the little yellow bulb, insert new one, replace fixture, insert key, start car, push signal lever for a left turn, exhale when I get a nice easy blinking cadence, push signal lever for right turn, smile when I get a nice steady cadence on the right side, satisfied...I go for a drive, at my street intersection I must turn left to oncoming traffic, I push he lever down for a left turn...to my dismay I get the fast clicking cadence of a blown signal light, and there is no reflection of my light blinking in the oncoming traffic just sitting there waiting for me to take my right-of-way, and drive straight thru. I drive on...when get to the next left turn, I try again, and again I get the nice cadence of a flashing light.

I am so tired of the embarrassment, I am searching for a signal switch under the dash...don't see one. Can some help...where is the junction must likely to short. Please come to me, my Sherlock Holmes!!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Mystery Signal Light

Hey James,

The signal light mystery is solved...as I told you I was on the way to the AutoZone get the dielectric grease, got the grease,(8 bucks...kinda high priced for a little tube), anyhow, I pulled the bulb, and those little posts, I mentioned that one was worn down. Well it seems that the post is supposed to act like a little springy snap bump, its a kinda round protruding hump that depresses when you twist the housing ring. One of my flat drills made an excellent tool for prying that up so it makes a fresh contact. I kept the grease applied it all around were I could some in a terminal connection.

Thanxs
Brad