Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

And my buddy Greg said "Let there be light!" (headlight restoration experience)

Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default And my buddy Greg said "Let there be light!" (headlight restoration experience)

I have a 2005 Crossfire SRT-6, affectionately called a go-kart by most. And yeah, girlie by not too few others...but hey, it runs low 13s and once I finish the bolt ons mid 12s are commonplace.

My headlights were ruined by the sun and environment, to the point where you couldn't really make out the projectors behind the lense. Yesterday we were washing it because he wanted to try out some silica based sealant/wax thing and I decided I'd try the Rain-X headlight restorer product I had bought. It didn't work. At all.

The box had soapy water and three 2"x2" abrasive pads that you're supposed to use to smooth everything out and then what I assume was a urethane sealer to make them seem clear again. Cost: $20.

We/he ended up using 400 grit sandpaper to get the original failed coating off then 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit papers to get the scratches down. Lastly a small buffer pad on a power buffer polished it up with some Meguire's ultra cut and then ultra finishing. I can't honestly say they look brand new since there is some blemishing on the inside of each lens and some stuff that just wasn't going to be fixed. But I will say that they look 98% new and my headlights are a lot brighter than I ever knew they could be.

I'm waiting on him to upload some pictures so I have before and after shots of the headlights and a good picture of his detailing work. It's kind of neat the quality difference between professional detailing chemicals and the junk I buy at Walmart. Before he got a hold of it, I didn't even know my rims were silver...just thought they were some kind of grey.

Other options include: I suck at washing cars.

If your headlights are bad like mine were my buddy can do this A LOT cheaper than a body shop, will come do you and can have it done in a few hours while you're either working or at home. If you're in Central Maryland anyway

If you have a buffer and ability, give it a shot yourself. That's what I did before letting him have it...figured what the hell, it wasn't like I could make it any worse.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
car edit.jpg (1.38 MB, 36 views)
bad headlight.jpg (1.05 MB, 45 views)
good headlight.jpg (1.26 MB, 45 views)
Old 04-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: And my buddy Greg said "Let there be light!" (headlight restoration experience)

And if you don't seal them.. clear coat.. Xpel.. or otherwise.. in 30-45 days you'll be noticing a yellowish tint again.. I actually started with not knowing what I was doing and using some wore out 800 grit.. made them decent.. plastic polish helped.. and the turtle wax headlight kit kinda finished them off to a nice polish.. Xpel covers which were a PITA and look like crap up close has kept them clear.. "reposition as needed" ended up pulling adhesive from the plastic..and those small water pockets have yet to disappear. Have some of the cheap tinted ones from Ebay to try out next.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: And my buddy Greg said "Let there be light!" (headlight restoration experience)

Money well spent and nice job on the restoration. Excellent choice of color also.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We put a silica sealant on them and the entire car. It's supposed to last for 3-4 months. If it doesn't we'll re-polish and then try opti-coat.

And thanks, I hear it's the fastest color