Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Middle LED Breaklight NEED HELP

Old 06-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Middle LED Breaklight NEED HELP

Hey guys I was wondering if there was a way to unplug the light until I got a chance to get it fixed completely. I think having half of the light or a couple bulbs light up is kinda tacky. Any help guys or any advice is appreciated.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Middle LED Breaklight NEED HELP

Originally Posted by FabianDMoody
Hey guys I was wondering if there was a way to unplug the light until I got a chance to get it fixed completely. I think having half of the light or a couple bulbs light up is kinda tacky. Any help guys or any advice is appreciated.
From the service manual :

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the liftgate interior trim panel. (Refer to 23
- BODY/DECKLID/HATCH/LIFTGATE/TAILGATE/
TRIM PANEL - REMOVAL).
3. Remove the retaining screws (2) from the liftgate.
4. Disconnect the Center High Mounted Stop Light

Old 06-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow alax hell of a response lol, How are you doing drove your car lately? Can I find this in the link under your avatar, Is there any pictures?

Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by FabianDMoody
Wow alax hell of a response lol, How are you doing drove your car lately? Can I find this in the link under your avatar, Is there any pictures?
I'm doing fine, and try to drive a bit each week.
Yes, the service manual is in the links somewhere ( pdf file ) and does have pretty pictures.
You will be amazed what you can find in there, there will be an oral quiz next week, so be ready

Old 09-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you able to get your middle LED brakelight replaced?

After removing the middle brake light from my 2004 NA coupe I thought the problem might have been the solder joints. Chrysler/MB/Karmann may have had to use the RoHS required solder (unleaded) which was troublesome when introduced around 2003-2004. However the solder joints looked fine under magnification. I was a little surprised by what a cheap board construction they used to mount them. It's just a single sided board with unsupported holes for mounting the LEDs. The two LEDs that didn't light were truly nonfunctional when I checked them on my test bench. I found the datasheets on the LEDs but they were obsolete and nobody seemed to have stock on them anywhere. I finally found a cross-reference to a nearly identical LED which has a smaller viewing angle but the same light intensity and package size. I bought a bunch because it looked like it was near obsolete as well and I wanted to have ample spares. The viewing angle doesn't seem to be critical since anyone that I have asked (even me!) can't tell the difference in the brightness or viewing angle on any of them when the brake light is on. I have had them in the car nearly a year now with no issues.

I wonder if they are the same type as used in the roadster? Do you feel like experimenting a bit? Do you still have the original parts? I'd like to determine if they used the same LEDs in the roadster as they did in the coupe. Some close-up pictures might be sufficient. I might be able to replace them.