Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

"Error Free" Led Lights

Old 07-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb "Error Free" Led Lights

Hi guys!

So I've done a lot of research on the quest people have had to find bulbs that will not throw on the light out signal on the dash. I got some LED 194 bulbs from oreilly auto parts and replaced my 2 rear side markers and put amber ones in the "eyebrow" of the headlight replacing the regular white 194 bulb. They looked great, but threw on my light saying a bulb was out.

What I have come across, is that the LED's are so low in wattage, that it its only using about 1 watt vs 12 watts, causing the car to think there is no bulb. I have looked around on amazon, and found some LED bulbs that claim to be error free. For example, this license plate light bulb. These are claimed to be error free canbus bulbs. I can't seem to find out exactly what canbus means, but seems to be what everyone is after.

Example - http://www.amazon.com/3-SMD-Canbus-E...+free+6418+led

If anyone has a preffered brand they use id like to know! I'd like to avoid adding resistors if possible, or to find an LED bulb that uses enough wattage to not turn on the light. Although, if I have to I'll add resistors.

Quick theory - if the lighting system drops by 12 watts not being used, will it throw the signal to check your lights? for example, if i replace my 4 side markers with LEDs that each use 8 watts, instead of 12. over the course of the 4 bulbs, there is a loss of 16 watts. Will that throw the light on saying hey check your lights? Same thing, say i only replace 2 for say my license plate bulbs, and theyre 8watts each, my system only drops by 8 watts that arent getting used. Which is not 12, would that throw the light on? What exactly is the system looking for when the light comes on? is it just if an extra 12 watts comes back?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:02 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: "Error Free" Led Lights

Use the search engine.. you'll get a nice lesson on led's and canbus and resistors.. there are some error free tag lights available (complete assemblies) that look great.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:06 PM

Sounds good, I've read a few threads. I see some good LEDs here and there, but finding good quality Canbus ones seems to be quite the mission. I don't mind tapping into my wires to add resistors. Which seems like it would make it a lot easier to find a bulb with excellent reviews and just dealing with cancelling out the light on the dash myself. Now finding which resistors might be the issue.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:09 PM

And there is the option to disable dash warning..not like a burnt LED is going to send a warning anyways.. would offer a link .. but that just means I'd have to use search engine.. LOL

Old 07-30-2013, 04:13 PM

Hmm, sounds reasonable. I guess if all my bulbs are going to be LED, the only good that my dash light would tell me is if I have a headlight out. But that should be easy enough to notice. I plan on converting all of the bulbs to LED as well as going with HID headlights and fogs. How often does an LED burn out anyways? Hardly ever, might just go with disabling the one light. Seems like the simplest thing to do next to the "electrical tape mod" :P

Old 07-30-2013, 04:20 PM

Yep.. haven't gone "full blown" yet.. hmm.. side markers is all that's left now that I think about it.. LOL. Might have to put that disable on my list of things to do. I can say the brake lights - running lights from superbright look good! No error on the brake side.. but do throw it with lights on. There is a thread on them too.. " Superbright" for search..

Old 07-31-2013, 04:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I can say is that if you get lucky enough to find marker lights with CANBUS built in that actually work and last longer than a couple months, you sir will be awesome. Me and Mr.Miata there have spent money and time going through multiple LED options a little while back trying to find said parts. So far, there's little to no luck in that department.

Good luck to you, friend.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
All I can say is that if you get lucky enough to find marker lights with CANBUS built in that actually work and last longer than a couple months, you sir will be awesome. Me and Mr.Miata there have spent money and time going through multiple LED options a little while back trying to find said parts. So far, there's little to no luck in that department.

Good luck to you, friend.
I've installed canbus bulbs for all 4 turnsignal lights and get no error on the dash. Thats the good news. but now i have the dreaded hyper flashing syndrome when i turn on either turn signal or the hazard switch.

i have searched thru lots of posts from the search engine that discuss hyper flashing but most are old and claim no solution. Anyone know the answer or the thread that i should be looking at to deal with this? my understanding is that there is no flasher module to modify as its electronic and built into the turn signal switch/cluster if i screwed something up along the way.

This newbie could use a hint, please.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by pmg12345
I've installed canbus bulbs for all 4 turnsignal lights and get no error on the dash. Thats the good news. but now i have the dreaded hyper flashing syndrome when i turn on either turn signal or the hazard switch.

i have searched thru lots of posts from the search engine that discuss hyper flashing but most are old and claim no solution. Anyone know the answer or the thread that i should be looking at to deal with this? my understanding is that there is no flasher module to modify as its electronic and built into the turn signal switch/cluster if i screwed something up along the way.

This newbie could use a hint, please.
Well your correct on the "location".. lighting control module... not a user friendly adventure to modify.

You can wire in resistors.. not my idea of a decent fix..

And you don't get a dash "bulb out" warning with them.. the hyperflash is your warning.

I've actually gotten to where I like flashing faster than "normal".. Think it catches peoples attention a little more. I've committed to custom LED's on the vette forum.. otherwise I think I would put them in it too.. fixable with a simple relay upgrade.. if I wanted the "normal"..

The ones I installed in the brake - running light position give no error on the brake side, but do on the running lights. Go figure.. LOL.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, I decided to throw this out there for those who have extra cash to spend.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Resistor.../canbus-2g.htm

These LED turn signal lights actually don't throw an error code and flash normally as well.
The downside is the actual cost of these suckers. Wish they were half the price or something