Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

LED License Plate Bulb - New Style COB Canbus

Old 11-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default LED License Plate Bulb - New Style COB Canbus

For those who would rather just upgrade their license plate bulbs, these are the next new thing. The COB (circuit on board) leds integrate the leds onboard with the canbus resistors and drivers as a single unit. The result is the led looks like a lighted panel and are very bright and white. Tried some I found on ebay and they work extremely well. The lamps were just small enough to fit into the lamp prongs.

6W High Power COB LED 37mm 6418 Bulb No Error Dome Map License Plate Light White | eBay

DSC00260.JPG DSC00271.JPG

Old led tube type on right, COD left
DSC00270.JPG

DSC00284.JPG DSC00288a.jpg

I also tried one of these as a replacement for the cargo lamp. Still working on the attachment as the 3m backing doesn't stick well. Plus the panels are stiff and not flexible. Gonna try some 3M Command to stick it to the side wall. These would also work great as footwell lighting. These don't state if they're canbused and I can't say whether they are because I have non-canbus leds in my tail/brake lamps so my BO indicator is on all the time.

2pcs LED 17cm COB Car Auto DRL Driving Daytime Running Lamp Fog Light White K33 | eBay

DSC00279.JPG DSC00281.JPG DSC00283.JPG

Last edited by syfi; 11-20-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: LED License Plate Bulb - New Style COB Canbus

Originally Posted by syfi
For those who would rather just upgrade their license plate bulbs, these are the next new thing. The COB (circuit on board) leds integrate the leds onboard with the canbus resistors and drivers as a single unit. The result is the led looks like a lighted panel and are very bright and white. Tried some I found on ebay and they work extremely well. The lamps were just small enough to fit into the lamp prongs.

6W High Power COB LED 37mm 6418 Bulb No Error Dome Map License Plate Light White | eBay

Attachment 30001 Attachment 30002

Old led tube type on right, COD left
Attachment 30003

Attachment 30004 Attachment 30005

I also tried one of these as a replacement for the cargo lamp. Still working on the attachment as the 3m backing doesn't stick well. Plus the panels are stiff and not flexible. Gonna try some 3M Command to stick it to the side wall. These would also work great as footwell lighting. These don't state if they're canbused and I can't say whether they are because I have non-canbus leds in my tail/brake lamps so my BO indicator is on all the time.

2pcs LED 17cm COB Car Auto DRL Driving Daytime Running Lamp Fog Light White K33 | eBay

Attachment 30009 Attachment 30007 Attachment 30008

Syfi: Assume the bulb # listed in your thread are the ones that will fit a 2004 Crossfire??

Old 11-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Default Re: LED License Plate Bulb - New Style COB Canbus

Originally Posted by carl graham
Syfi: Assume the bulb # listed in your thread are the ones that will fit a 2004 Crossfire??
They fit ALL Xfires. The license plate bulbs are the same for all model yrs. They are a little tight with the large heat sink on the back side and you have to press them into the fixture. Then just screw the cover back on. These are almost as bright as the full assemblies @ 1/2 the price and you retain the OEM fixtures. They may not look like they seat well in the prongs from the picture but I've had them in for a couple of weeks of driving and they're still tight in place.

Last edited by syfi; 11-20-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:23 PM

Syfi...Thanks, man for the tip... I like it a lot...just placed my order. Thanks again...Carl

Old 11-20-2013, 08:50 PM

Cool. Don't forget to let everyone know how they work after you get them installed!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

They fit ALL Xfires. The license plate bulbs are the same for all model yrs. They are a little tight with the large heat sink on the back side and you have to press them into the fixture. Then just screw the cover back on. These are almost as bright as the full assemblies @ 1/2 the price and you retain the OEM fixtures. They may not look like they seat well in the prongs from the picture but I've had them in for a couple of weeks of driving and they're still tight in place.
They look real sharp if they last well. The price will come down pretty quick though.
How many do you get for the $14 ? The LED replacement fixtures are about $13 - $14 each.
How hot do they get? If that fin area touches the plastic the plastic will get brittle in time.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:00 PM

You get 2 ea (a pair) for $14. Like I said, 1/2 the price of the fixtures. They're slightly shorter so they don't fit in the plastic holder on the lens. The sink just does fit between the metal bulb latches and they lock pretty solidly in place.

What is COB?
COB (Chips on Board) is a new technology of LED packaging of LED light engine. Multi LED chips are packaged together as one light module. When it lights up, it looks like a lighting panel.
How COB LED light source works?
In COB lighting, single LED chips are placed directly on a circuit board (or substrate) which has thermal properties to disperse heat. Heat dissipation is a very important aspect of LED lighting since it can have a major impact on the life expectancy of the luminary. Therefore, COB lighting can have a higher LED chip density and achieve higher light level while maintaining or improving life expectancy.
Advantage of COB:
COB lights are a more efficient form of LED lighting for general or automotive lighting applications because:
- light has a more uniform appearance
- better life expectancy
- achieve higher light level over a large area
- COB is more stable and reliable than standard LED package
The 17cm stips have
100 COB LED chips on each lights, approx 500 lum lighting output
. They're darn near bright enough to make a cheap, decent drl lamp. 2 ea. (a pair) for $15.

Last edited by syfi; 11-20-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:39 PM

Cool. Don't forget to let everyone know how they work after you get them installed!
syfi...installed bulbs today...man do they look great...thanks lots for the info...Carl

The fitment is not 100%, but it appears very adequate to hold up...

Last edited by cg80; 11-27-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-28-2013, 01:07 AM

syfi...installed bulbs today...man do they look great...thanks lots for the info...Carl

The fitment is not 100%, but it appears very adequate to hold up...
My thought exactly. They aren't as long from tip to tip to make contact with the plastic holder on the cover, but that's probably a good thing if they do heat up. And the heatsink just does fit between the prongs. These are supposed to be more efficient and should run cooler then the old style 6W leds. I couldn't get mine to lay exactly flat in the holder. They needed to tilt out at the bottom a little to seat right but they do seem to be locked in place and really light up the rear nicely. I'm very satisfied with the way they're working!

Old 03-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to revive an old post, but I bought a set of these, and now my 'Light Out' dash indicator is on...

Old 03-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Talking Re: LED License Plate Bulb - New Style COB Canbus

Originally Posted by lildaddym
Sorry to revive an old post, but I bought a set of these, and now my 'Light Out' dash indicator is on...
lidaddym: I had the same happen... at time of installation, had a few "sparks"...blowed a fuse...replaced the fuse...no problem since... check the rest of your lights to see if they physically on...Carl

Old 03-02-2014, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by lildaddym
Try to reverse the polarity of the LED. Flip 'em 180 and see if they still light up. The indicator may go out.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:41 PM

lidaddym: I had the same happen... at time of installation, had a few "sparks"...blowed a fuse...replaced the fuse...no problem since... check the rest of your lights to see if they physically on...Carl
i checked the rest of the lights 3 or 4 times! It was off for the longest...

Old 03-02-2014, 07:42 PM

Try to reverse the polarity of the LED. Flip 'em 180 and see if they still light up. The indicator may go out.
I'll do that! Thanks for the tip!