Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Stock v HID lights

Old 01-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock v HID lights

So I'm looking at getting yellow HID fog lights for my 06 XF and I began thinking about overhauling all my lights with HID. But I have some concerns like if the Hi and Low Beam HID lights put of more or less heat than the stock lights? Also, if anyone who has HID lights for their headlights have had any issues with the wiring or sensor lights being triggered?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stock v HID lights

I have no idea about temp of the bulbs but it hasn't caused any issues. I have had no issues with sensors or wiring either. The highs have to use standard bulbs because the HID's have to "warm" up when they fire on, highs need to be instant full on to be effective for most people. I had issues with the cheaper Mini ballast HID kits so get the standard ebay cheap ones that are recommended throughout this forum. I ended up having backup ballasts which is always a good thing. Bulbs can go bad too so I have a few extras of those now. make sure the bulb is appropriately set in place of the headlight housing. Even if you think you nailed it check with a dental mirror.

I was able to see better (brighter) with 6K bulbs compared to the 8K bulbs for the lows. IMO

Old 01-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stock v HID lights

I can attest to what Jesse says. I have 8k bulbs in low and high. For all purposes where high beams are needed, (for my driving) the warm up isn't so much an issue.

The 5-6 thousand Kelvin range is where the eye is most receptive, so those will certainly appear brighter on the road.

No issues with heat whatsoever. No bulb warning, nor firing issues.

However, if your courtesy fog lights are enabled, you may notice a failure to trigger on occasion with HID.