Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Changing lights (concerns)

Old 01-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing lights (concerns)

So I'm looking at getting yellow HID fog lights for my 06 XF and I began thinking about overhauling all my lights with HID. But I have some concerns like if the Hi and Low Beam HID lights put of more or less heat than the stock lights? Also, if anyone who has HID lights for their headlights have had any issues with the wiring or sensor lights being triggered?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Changing lights (concerns)

Originally Posted by BMass
So I'm looking at getting yellow HID fog lights for my 06 XF and I began thinking about overhauling all my lights with HID. But I have some concerns like if the Hi and Low Beam HID lights put of more or less heat than the stock lights? Also, if anyone who has HID lights for their headlights have had any issues with the wiring or sensor lights being triggered?
Seven posts asking the same question, I am afraid I do not know which one to answer, sorry.
One way to boost the post numbers I guess.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Forget the sensor.. go all LED's.. lol. Put some 10w cree LED's in my Avalanche DRL's (known for bad heat and burnout).. and actually wonder if the 30w wouldn't make for some decent fog lights.. Not sure about "more" heat or not.. but the 35w HID kit's work just fine...some are running the 55watt and I haven't heard any "don't do it's".. Seems the digital versions now a days are canbus friendly.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Seven posts asking the same question, I am afraid I do not know which one to answer, sorry.
One way to boost the post numbers I guess.
Like this comment ^^^ and my response! Come on 7K..

Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 PM

Sorry my phone kept telling me that it couldn't post it. I'll have them removed.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by BMass
Sorry my phone kept telling me that it couldn't post it. I'll have them removed.
Not to make excuses for him.. but he is Canadian.. some things you just have to overlook..

Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like Mr.Miata I would suggest going with LEDs for all the other lights on the car aside from the headlights.

I run 6k Morimoto HIDs for my lows and they are plenty powerful at 35watts.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
Like Mr.Miata I would suggest going with LEDs for all the other lights on the car aside from the headlights. I run 6k Morimoto HIDs for my lows and they are plenty powerful at 35watts.
So I should use LED for my Fog Lights and High Beams or just for my fog lights? Do you have any sites where I could look into and purchase LED lights?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:43 AM
Forum Regular

What I suggest is do what me and miata have done, and get good HIDs for the lows (morimotos are damn good, its what i have) and leave the high beams with regular halogen bulbs in them because HIDs have a warm up time which wont be good for high beam use. Plus HIDs shouldn't be flicked on and off fast, you'll kill the balasts, and damage the bulbs too.

I put LEDs in all the side marker lights, license plate lights(led fixtures as direct replacement), and front parking lights in the headlight "eyebrows".

I also run green LEDs in my interior dome and trunk lights, for added awesomeness, as well as my glove box compartment.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:23 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
What I suggest is do what me and miata have done, and get good HIDs for the lows (morimotos are damn good, it's what i have) and leave the high beams with regular halogen bulbs in them because HIDs have a warm up time which won't be good for high beam use. Plus HIDs shouldn't be flicked on and off fast, you'll kill the ballasts, and damage the bulbs too.

I put LEDs in all the side marker lights, license plate lights(led fixtures as direct replacement), and front parking lights in the headlight "eyebrows".

I also run green LEDs in my interior dome and trunk lights, for added awesomeness, as well as my glove box compartment.
++++1 to all the above EXCEPT the green, yuuuuck ( my opinion only )
I also left the halogens in the fogs .....

Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 AM

++++2... Only go ORANGE interior lighting.. green is so everywhere..

Old 01-16-2014, 09:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Red interior lighting is best for ambiance........green is kind of sic and close to stock dash lights.....IMO. Of course black lights with florescent interior accents would be the best .......now that would be awesome!

Old 01-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Forum Regular

The reason why I used green is because of the cops. Try using red or blue as interior lights here in Chicago and see how far you get before you get pulled over lol. I did however put black light LEDs in my girlfriend's interior for her car. She loves it. Also I left the halogens in the fog lights too

Old 01-17-2014, 04:28 PM

So do you guys have any good ideas on a good place to get LED lights? I'm still thinking about the HID for the fog lights, but considering LEDs for the rest of the lights. I also hadn't ever thought about doing interior lights, I am now. Thanks for the ideas! What is your thoughts on ground effect lights? In my opinion they are over rated and too cliché for customized cars. But I was thinking about looking into getting a single rail of lights for the front, the same color as the fog lights. Again, it's just a thought, more interested in getting my fog lights done and my headlights.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Forum Regular

The site I use for most of my LED purchases is superbrightleds.com
They have a great selection and it's according to your car light sockets for each bulb on it.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:19 PM

Which beam angle do you have for your interior 30° (4 LED) or 120° (6 SMD LED)? Or which would you recommend? Also should I get one for both the front (step courtesy) and the trunk?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Every thing LED on my car is Ebay.. other than the Tail - Brake lights..SuperBright got that order.

These are in my map lights and do a great job.. just having problems finding the cargo area that are "orange"..

2X T10 194 W5W 4 SMD 1210 LED Wedge Light Bulb Super Orange | eBay

Old 01-17-2014, 09:06 PM

Well I'm going to be putting in a blue LEDs on the inside. I just don't know where exactly all the lights are located and what kind of LEDs are needed. I know where the dome light is and cargo lights.. :s

Old 01-18-2014, 01:26 AM
Forum Regular

For the interior lights all you have to change is the glove box light, dome light, and trunk light. That's all of them for the inside. Careful using blue, cops can get you for very easily if they feel like being asses over it. Mrmiata how are those tail lights treating you still? I have yet to find any good brake LEDs.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 AM

Still liking the tail lights..

Glad they at least don't throw a bulb out on the brake side...
'
I'm guessing there still is nothing out there that doesn't require resistors being added to keep the dash indicator out...

Actually all the LED's I've picked up along the way are doing fine... The only issue I've had is on the Avalanche.. Picked up a pair @ 25 bucks at Autozone.. those new displays they have where you can push the button on the package and lite them up.. decided to try them on the DRL's on it.. and within 30 days half of a bulb had burned out. Got to reading up and seems them puppies spike to 14V..

Picked up some on ebay.. 10watts..nice and bright "focused" lens..rated to 16V.. we shall see. Those have me thinking the same design in 30watt might make decent fog light replacements.

Quick Reply: Changing lights (concerns)