Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Plastidip Everything!

Old 03-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastidip Everything!

Hey Guys,

Last weekend I plastidipped my whole car since the old paint was in rough shape and the combination of inconsiderate people and salty air isn't helping. Everything only cost me $300 and I have more than enough dip to paint my car a second time if I wanted to! Everything was bought at Home Depot since Dipyourcar.com will not ship to Guam. My buddy and I painted the car in 2 and a half hours with a total of 7 coats and used just shy of a whole gallon of dip. We used Xylene paint thinner with a 1:1 ratio with plastidip.

Just want everyone to know that if you can measure liquids with any bit of accuracy you are better off buying the pint cans from Home Depot at $9/ea and gallon cans of Xylene for $20 and making your own dip. Dipyourcar.com charges $60/gal +shipping for thinneddip. At Home Depot you pay $9 a pint ($8.10 with military discount) 9*8+20= $92 for 2 gallons of thinned dip.

Anyways this product is very forgiving, in between coats we had a few small periods of rain and we just waited for the car to dry and went back to painting.

Here's a link to the spray gun that we used, we had it on a very low setting, 2 I think.
Wagner Flexio 590 HVLP Paint Sprayer Kit-0529010 at The Home Depot

Pic below, ignore the mess on the rims, I've been trying to peel those off for over a week now. I'll be sand blasting them soon and repainting them in the near future.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140317_084254_HDR.jpg (1.37 MB, 138 views)
Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Default Re: Plastidip Everything!

Look great Selbyl, I've been considering giving this a go myself just to try it out. The doors look very smooth but is there any chance you could do a couple of close up shots?

One thing though, are the black spots on the bonnet clumps of plastidip or camera spots / something else? Not knocking your work, just wondering for my own possible attempt what I could do to avoid 'clumpiness'. Any advice you could give would be awesome!

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very stealthy looking. Do you have any Stealth Bombers down there that you could pose next to? That would be an awesome photo to have. Glad to see you're stripping the rims; that was probably a bit too much blackout I suppose.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Selbyl
Just want everyone to know that if you can measure liquids with any bit of accuracy you are better off buying the pint cans from Home Depot at $9/ea and gallon cans of Xylene for $20 and making your own dip. Dipyourcar.com charges $60/gal +shipping for thinneddip. At Home Depot you pay $9 a pint ($8.10 with military discount) 9*8+20= $92 for 2 gallons of thinned dip.
I have used plastidip for several years now, in fact, we are doing a car for a friend next weekend. The main reason I bought from dipyour car is becuse of the selection of colors and finishes. We are doing his in a antharicite true metallic and will probably finish with a few gloss coats. It looks amazing, just like metallic paint.

We do our work in a paint booth and use pneumatic guns and bake the finish, if you have any access to a way to bake the finish (other than direct sunlight) do it, it will hold up much better over time.

I love the color on my XF too much to do any plastidip on it, but my daily is about to get gloss copper metallic wheels

Old 03-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you keeping it matte? I'm considering some Pearlized White on my Volvo wagon's roof... they have so many enhancers now you can come up with some crazy colors

Old 03-19-2014, 06:13 PM
Forum Regular

That looks really good! And I'm sure glad Guam is still OK.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:03 PM
Forum Regular

Looks great!

Old 03-19-2014, 08:49 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by YraggarY
Look great Selbyl, I've been considering giving this a go myself just to try it out. The doors look very smooth but is there any chance you could do a couple of close up shots?

One thing though, are the black spots on the bonnet clumps of plastidip or camera spots / something else? Not knocking your work, just wondering for my own possible attempt what I could do to avoid 'clumpiness'. Any advice you could give would be awesome!

Thanks!

Thanks for all the feed back everyone, I don't have access to a paint booth anymore. Apparently the paint booths at the hobby shops on the island don't have the appropriate ventilation anymore and the bases won't pay to upgrade them.

As for the flakes of dip on the car. That is just bits from when I was cleaning off the windows, we didn't tape anything off when we painted.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rayth
Are you keeping it matte? I'm considering some Pearlized White on my Volvo wagon's roof... they have so many enhancers now you can come up with some crazy colors

I wouldn't mind experimenting with other colors but all I can get is black from Home Depot, DYC doesn't ship to Guam.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dinasrt
Very stealthy looking. Do you have any Stealth Bombers down there that you could pose next to? That would be an awesome photo to have. Glad to see you're stripping the rims; that was probably a bit too much blackout I suppose.

Next time they're on island I'll try and get some pictures, I might have to bribe a friend or two so I can get my car on the flight line.

Sorry just realized I could have just done a multi quote instead of a bunch of comments.

Let me know if you guys every have questions. This was super easy!