Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Anthracite Grey Plasti-Dip

Old 04-20-2014, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anthracite Grey Plasti-Dip

So I decided that my blue '05 Limited Roadster needed a new look, and Plasti-Dip came to the rescue. Unfortunately, the forum isn't letting me upload images right now, so I'll post links to a few - the full album can be found here: Plasti-Dip'd Crossfire - Imgur I did the windshield surround, the front grill and badges, the rims, the side strakes, the door handles, and the rear badges. I also tinted the side markers while I was at it.
Qa5sw3b.jpg
hBtagfm.jpg

76TP3xH.jpg

I know it may not be for everyone, but I think it looks good and gives it a slightly more sinister look.

-Kevin

Last edited by Bob_Ham; 04-23-2014 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Added a picture from the album
Old 04-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Anthracite Grey Plasti-Dip

Looks good.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Like the 'look'

Old 04-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good!

We recently sprayed an entire car in this particular color at my friend's body shop and it turned out great. Matte but with a nice metallic flake...

Old 04-24-2014, 11:22 AM

I used a few coats of Glossifier over top because I wasn't looking for the matte finish, but I could see it looking nice on a large scale. The only place I had issues, and I imagine you would on a full car coating too, was with the rubber weather stripping around the windshield. The weather stripping is pretty tight up against the painted surfaces / the windshield trim, so getting the plasti-dip to 'break' along that seam was real difficult. I ended up running a razor blade along the seam to cut it, but I imagine that'd be quite the headache on a full-car dip.
-Kevin

Old 04-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Ham
I used a few coats of Glossifier over top because I wasn't looking for the matte finish, but I could see it looking nice on a large scale. The only place I had issues, and I imagine you would on a full car coating too, was with the rubber weather stripping around the windshield. The weather stripping is pretty tight up against the painted surfaces / the windshield trim, so getting the plasti-dip to 'break' along that seam was real difficult. I ended up running a razor blade along the seam to cut it, but I imagine that'd be quite the headache on a full-car dip.
-Kevin
Yes, there were some things that took some time, but to be honest, doing the detail stuff like you did is probably more time consuming than an entire car. Especially since everyone working on it was a professional body guy or a well seasoned DIYer, the tape job was important, but we still had to use razor knives on certain areas as well...

Old 04-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Forum Regular

Hello, my name is Boostmonkey and I am a plasti-dip addict.

Looks great!

Old 04-25-2014, 03:17 PM

Getting the tape job right, doing the prep right, and taking your time is worth it all. I saw a dip'd car today that looked like crap.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:45 AM
Forum Regular

This looks really good. Well done. I have been thinking of doing something in plasti-dip - just not sure what!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:16 PM

please tell me how you did the letters!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you do the entire wheel?

Old 04-28-2014, 08:07 AM

jimmirehman,
The letters are pretty easy actually, as is any of the badging. There are great videos on YouTube, but here's the basic technique - Get some painters tape and tape a box about an inch away from whatever you want to paint. So when I painted the back letters and logo, I put a line of tape about an inch under the letters all the way across, and another line about an inch above the logo wing all the way across, and then two vertical lines an inch to either side. Then mask off the rest of the car with drop cloths or whatever to catch overspray - it's just easier to not have to worry about cleanup later. Clean and prep the area within the tape box - I use the dipyoucar.com pre-dip spray, but it smells a lot like windex so who knows - getting everything clean and oil / grease / way free is important. Make sure it's 100% dry (I use my air nozzle). Then spray down a light tack-coat over the entire area inside the tape line, including onto the tape. Then do your follow on coats - I did 4-6 coats depending on how it was laying down. Then let it dry a few minutes while you pull off all the tarps and drop cloths. Then, as you peel up the tape, the plasti dip on the painted area within the tape will start to peel up. When you get to the letters go slow, and the plastidip 'sheet' you're pulling up will snap off clean at the base of the letters, where there's a big change in direction. Use a tootpick to get the plast dip up from inside the letters (R,O,S etc). Same with the logo - peel up slowly around it and it'll snap clean right where the logo badge is on the trunk lid, as long as you cleaned good and pull up gentle / away from the logo, not towards / over it. Watch some of the YouTube videos to see more of what I'm trying to describe. Good luck!

lildaddym,
I did the entire wheel, inside and outside. I did the center caps separately.

-Kevin

Old 05-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks awesome. I went out and bought the can of pd but I just haven't worked up the courage to do anything but my grill yet. I'd want to remove the tires off the rim for the wheels, the door handles, and the logo pieces to feel comfortable. A good tape job might take me days.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what about with the top down.... did you spray the roll bar posts?

Old 05-24-2014, 02:28 PM
xme

Originally Posted by mobilefitt
Looks awesome. I went out and bought the can of pd but I just haven't worked up the courage to do anything but my grill yet. I'd want to remove the tires off the rim for the wheels, the door handles, and the logo pieces to feel comfortable. A good tape job might take me days.
If you can get 35s and 40s remounted without scratching plastidip I'm going to be seriously impressed. Those suckers are tough to get on, for me at least.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:59 PM

So... you need to watch some videos of people applying the dip. One can won't be enough, and you don't need to worry about any sort of tape job. Read my post a few up on how I did the letters - I didn't tape every single letter, just a rectangle about 1" away from all the letters and the badge, then spray. You need to mask the rest of the car off to avoid over spray.

Removing the tires, or removing the logo pieces is a waste of time. I removed the door handles because you need to in order to get 360* coverage on the inside of the handle. I removed the grill because it was easy and I didn't want to spray the radiator. I removed the side strakes because they were easy enough to remove without issue. The tires stayed on the rim, and all the badges stayed on the car.

I did not do the roll bars - thought about it, but I like them being silver on the inside.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dumb question...maybe. After you spray the clear over the plastidip does it have a smooth feel to it? or is it still a tacky ,rubber feel.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:21 PM

I'm guessing it's the same feel as non-clear-covered dip. It's not smooth like clear coat on the car, but it's not really tacky. It feels fairly smooth, but still has a bit of that rubbery feel to it.