Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Windshield Trim Mystery

Old 05-23-2014, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Trim Mystery

So for the last few weeks I have been hearing this noise coming from my 04 Crossfire but only when I would reach speeds around 50MPH and above.

I would turn down my radio and it sounded like it was coming from my engine bay or behind the dash so when I got home I did some checking but could not find the root cause. I decided to park the car for a few days wait until the weekend to drive it a short distance (I figured if it was a major problem I did not want to get stuck going to or from work).

So I drove it to the grocery store and on the way back I hear the noise again and immediately pull off to the side of the road to investigate. Pop the hood open, can't find the cause and close the hood and I hear the noise and as I'm looking at the top Windshield Trim I noticed its coming up around the center and right area.

I tried snapping it back in place but it appears that the clip is no longer attached to the trim. I ended up having to drive five miles back home holding down the trim with my hand as I did not want it to fly off and let me tell you, my arm and hand were sore when I got home. 55MPH with the wind pushing against it is a lot of force

So, now that I have figured out the mystery can anyone recommend a way to repair this as I would rather not spend $300 bucks buying the part (I've read some of the threads on here and I was lucky it did not fly off on the expressway).

Old 05-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Windshield Trim Mystery

Yeah, the clips come apart by twisting a screwdriver between them. The plastic is very forgiving so don't worry about cracking. From there just clean and apply new 3M double sided adhesive to the clip that has come undone.

Make sure to tape the surround to the windshield/roof to let the adhesive take effect.

20140428_134326_zpsprhlywdk.jpg

Last edited by Indelibility; 05-23-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Indelibility
Yeah, the clips come apart by twisting a screwdriver between them. The plastic is very forgiving so don't worry about cracking. From there just clean and apply new 3M double sided adhesive to the clip that has come undone.

Make sure to tape the surround to the windshield/roof to let the adhesive take effect.

Thanks, I'll try that this weekend and report back.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Forum Regular

If you run into any issues, shoot me a PM

Old 05-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Re: Windshield Trim Mystery

Originally Posted by flexfanatic
So for the last few weeks I have been hearing this noise coming from my 04 Crossfire but only when I would reach speeds around 50MPH and above.

I would turn down my radio and it sounded like it was coming from my engine bay or behind the dash so when I got home I did some checking but could not find the root cause. I decided to park the car for a few days wait until the weekend to drive it a short distance (I figured if it was a major problem I did not want to get stuck going to or from work).

So I drove it to the grocery store and on the way back I hear the noise again and immediately pull off to the side of the road to investigate. Pop the hood open, can't find the cause and close the hood and I hear the noise and as I'm looking at the top Windshield Trim I noticed its coming up around the center and right area.

I tried snapping it back in place but it appears that the clip is no longer attached to the trim. I ended up having to drive five miles back home holding down the trim with my hand as I did not want it to fly off and let me tell you, my arm and hand were sore when I got home. 55MPH with the wind pushing against it is a lot of force

So, now that I have figured out the mystery can anyone recommend a way to repair this as I would rather not spend $300 bucks buying the part (I've read some of the threads on here and I was lucky it did not fly off on the expressway).
flexfanatic: A big word of advise/warning...Be sure you attach the clips, someway, very securely...mine blew off last week and when I found it it was broken...First and foremost, they are just about impossible to find and if you go to the Stealeership to order, it cost around $500.00...that's just for the center piece... Carl

Old 05-25-2014, 03:57 PM

Yesterday I took off the top trim and I'd say I'm pretty lucky as all but two of the clips had broken free from the trim.

Took it for a drive today and so far so good

Thanks,
Tim

Old 05-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Forum Regular

Good deal, glad it didn't come flying off lol.