Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Tape coming off coupe

Old 07-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Tape coming off coupe

I did a search and did not find a post that talks about this. I have a 2004 coupe and on the roof there is a 1" strip that runs from the windshield to the rear window. It looks like it is covered by tape. The tape is coming off and I wanted to know if others had seen this and how would I fix it.
Thanks in advance

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crossfire 2.JPG (29.6 KB, 93 views)
Crossfire 1.JPG (27.9 KB, 91 views)
Old 07-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Tape coming off coupe

Originally Posted by chriscat32
I did a search and did not find a post that talks about this. I have a 2004 coupe and on the roof there is a 1" strip that runs from the windshield to the rear window. It looks like it is covered by tape. The tape is coming off and I wanted to know if others had seen this and how would I fix it.
Thanks in advance
Are you sure that is not paint. Mine is painted.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:07 PM

I have attached another picture showing how it is bubbled up. This is why I thought it was tape. when I first noticed it , I could run my finger along the bubbles and it would look normal.
I will check again, if it's paint its really thick.
Thanks

Attached Images
crossfire 3.JPG (90.7 KB, 82 views)
Old 07-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Those are thick self adhesive strips that are purchased to mactch the car's body color code.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have attached another picture showing how it is bubbled up. This is why I thought it was tape. when I first noticed it , I could run my finger along the bubbles and it would look normal.
I will check again, if it's paint its really thick.
Thanks
chriscat32: Had the same problem...solution: went to the craft store, purchased a roll of black rubber adhesive tape (roll cost about 8.00)...cut to size and viola!..a "slat" akin to those seen of some of today's cars...Carl

Attached Images
IMG_20130903_162017.jpg (1.20 MB, 81 views)
Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Thanks Red Dog and Carl. Is there a way to take that strip off or do you put the tape on while in place?

Old 07-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Is this something that changed by '07 ? I just have a crease in the center. There is a channel on each side but that seems to be metal (at least a magnet sticks).

Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Is this something that changed by '07 ? I just have a crease in the center. There is a channel on each side but that seems to be metal (at least a magnet sticks).
A magnet does not stick to mine or anybody elses that I have heard. They are aluminum I think and that is why the paint comes off easily. They hook down somehow and go under the top windshield trim. There is a thread here somewhere, James1549 wrote it I think. They come as parts painted to match the body colors.
Here is on old thread on the subject.
How to remove the trim by DTMenace.

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-22-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
A magnet does not stick to mine or anybody elses that I have heard. They are aluminum I think and that is why the paint comes off easily. They hook down somehow and go under the top windshield trim. There is a thread here somewhere, James1549 wrote it I think. They come as parts painted to match the body colors.
Here is on old thread on the subject.
180: You're correct... I had to apply an adhesive assist product to insure that it does not come off...Carl

Old 07-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Red Dog and Carl. Is there a way to take that strip off or do you put the tape on while in place?
Just pull the old strips off . . . clean the adhesive residue off the surface of the indent area and then apply your new strips.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Old 05-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My problem seems to correspond with the above thread, but it may not, so hoping for help in where to repair/replace the black rubber-type 1/2" strip that runs under the 2" aluminum piece at the top of the windshield. One corner came loose at
highway speed and flapped loudly. I taped over the with duct tape which worked but sure doesn't look too good! Will the entire windshield need replacing? Many thanks from a very pleased female owner of an '04 Coupe and formerly 4 MBZ's.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by J.J.
My problem seems to correspond with the above thread, but it may not, so hoping for help in where to repair/replace the black rubber-type 1/2" strip that runs under the 2" aluminum piece at the top of the windshield. One corner came loose at
highway speed and flapped loudly. I taped over the with duct tape which worked but sure doesn't look too good! Will the entire windshield need replacing? Many thanks from a very pleased female owner of an '04 Coupe and formerly 4 MBZ's.
That piece of rubber should be attached to and the under the aluminum trim strip that runs across the top of the windshield. Can you tuck it back underneath? Is the aluminum piece securely in place as they often come off when people are driving and get trashed by following cars, replacements are hard to get and expensive. It is not part of the windshield but held on by clips, these clips need to hold the trim strip tight or else the strip will take flight.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the reply. The tape will not tuck back in under the aluminum strip, I tried using Elmer's glue but it didn't work. About 1 foot of it came loose and the duct tape is holding it in. I've been on long highway trips and it's held up, but as mentioned it looks terrible. Possibly the rubber strip has shrunk over the years, I don't have cover for the car so it's in the elements at all times. Fortunately the aluminum strip is in position and not loose at all but I'm thinking the rubber stripping seals it together and is important. Any further advise is much appreciated. JJ

Old 05-02-2017, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the reply. The tape will not tuck back in under the aluminum strip, I tried using Elmer's glue but it didn't work. About 1 foot of it came loose and the duct tape is holding it in. I've been on long highway trips and it's held up, but as mentioned it looks terrible. Possibly the rubber strip has shrunk over the years, I don't have cover for the car so it's in the elements at all times. Fortunately the aluminum strip is in position and not loose at all but I'm thinking the rubber stripping seals it together and is important. Any further advise is much appreciated. JJ
A photo may be of some help so people can see what is wrong.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:33 AM

I found a description on E-Bay of the stripping piece that is loose on my 04 Coupe:
"06 Chrysler Crossfire Front Windshield Cowl Rubber Seal Gasket Stripping Trim". The image shows the black rubber-like strip. Anyone replaced this before, if so, what holds it in place and assume I couldn't do the job myself. Also, I stopped by a company that replaces convertible tops and headliners (he did my headliner a couple years ago), he suggested ripping the strip out and replacing with simple caulking. Comments on this method? Many thanks, JJ

Old 05-11-2017, 01:07 PM

I found a description on E-Bay of the stripping piece that is loose on my 04 Coupe:
"06 Chrysler Crossfire Front Windshield Cowl Rubber Seal Gasket Stripping Trim". The image shows the black rubber-like strip. Anyone replaced this before, if so, what holds it in place and assume I couldn't do the job myself. Also, I stopped by a company that replaces convertible tops and headliners (he did my headliner a couple years ago), he suggested ripping the strip out and replacing with simple caulking. Comments on this method? Many thanks, JJ
This seal you mention ( 06 Chrysler Crossfire Front Windshield Cowl Rubber Seal Gasket Stripping Trim | eBay ) goes at the bottom of the windshield on the plastic cowl, it is not the part your are talking about.
Your part is just loose, take off the top trim and fix it.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:20 PM

Thanks for clarifying the tape is for the bottom of windshield, that certainly helps. So next question, is it difficult to remove the top trim as you suggest, and can the rubber stripping simply be re-glued, or something else that was holding it in place? Thanks very much.