Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Interior lights won't come on when doors are opened

Old 08-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Interior lights won't come on when doors are opened

Awhile back I had my headliner replaced and really didn't pay attention if my interior lights worked after the repairs until weeks later. They all come on when switched on. The map lights also work when switched on. I'm kinda puzzled why they don't work anymore. Checked the switches on the front doors and they work. Really don't think the trunk switch has anything to do with my problem. I'm thinking it may be some type of timer or relay that's faulty. I really don't know need help.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Interior lights won't come on when doors are opened

The door switches report to the CLP ( Central Locking Pump ) which is wrapped in foam under the passenger side of the trunk floor.
It then sends a text message to the BCM ( Body Control Module ) which is in the black box by the battery, that a door or the trunk is open.
The BCM then supplies a ground to the dome light, and if the switch is in the 'auto' position, it will light.

See schematic :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (83.2 KB, 98 views)
Old 08-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bluecrossfire
Awhile back I had my headliner replaced and really didn't pay attention if my interior lights worked after the repairs until weeks later. They all come on when switched on. The map lights also work when switched on. I'm kinda puzzled why they don't work anymore. Checked the switches on the front doors and they work. Really don't think the trunk switch has anything to do with my problem. I'm thinking it may be some type of timer or relay that's faulty. I really don't know need help.
Following up on ala_xfires comment, look in the trunk and under the trunk mat there is a foam block on the right hand side, see if you can spot any water in the gap around it.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bluecrossfire

I would say that there is a better than even chance that your problem lies in the connectors under the headliner. One of them is miniscule, the other is small. Check for broken or pinched wire or a pin pushed out. You don't have to remove the headliner, just the dome light and garage door module.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 PM

Thank you guys very much. I haven't had a chance to check those problem areas yet. Been quite busy and I really want to take my time doing this task. I really appreciate the the schematic and diagram. Thanks again.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:30 PM

I have the same issue.... The dome light works when u switch it to on.... if you open the passenger door when its on auto the dome light turns on..... however when you open the drivers door it wont turn on... any help?

Old 11-26-2015, 12:38 PM

I have this exact same problem but with passenger door not activating dome light.
I do know that pushing in and releasing the door swith I can hear a relay activating near headlight switch in the dash somewhere. But I can't figure out why one door works and one doesn't . both door seitches seem to work properly.