Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Repainting the silver frame above the windshield ?

Old 01-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repainting the silver frame above the windshield ?

The top silver color bracket above the windshield needs repainting. Can anyone please tell me what the Chrysler paint number is ( or any brand spray paint that matches ) . I took the car into the local dealer this morning for service and the Service Manager said he didn't know. So, I need some help....again Thanks

Old 01-12-2015, 12:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Repainting the silver frame above the windshield ?

Originally Posted by martin jg
The top silver color bracket above the windshield needs repainting. Can anyone please tell me what the Chrysler paint number is ( or any brand spray paint that matches ) . I took the car into the local dealer this morning for service and the Service Manager said he didn't know. So, I need some help....again Thanks
martin: If you want to go the vinyl wrap route,,,this is what I used(Silver Carbon Fiber Vinyl wrap...cost around 20.00 for a piece 12x60")...easy to install and rather durable if you keep it covered with a UV protectant....Carl

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140912_131229.jpg (974.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 01-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't mind finding this information out as well. I am having my entire car resprayed soon and I want to have my door handled repainted because they are chipping/flaking.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Forum Regular

I would look up the code on a '07 or '08 Bright Silver Met Crossfire, I believe that color was almost a direct match to the windshield trim and door handles; I also heard that the Chrysler Silver PS2 was a match; Indium Silver (crossfire) 05179660AB is stated to also be close to a match.

I hope the above helps,

Dave

Old 01-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If the surround is a match to the wheels, then here's the wheel color...

XZA - Crossfire Satin Silver 05179660AB

From a previous thread about matching the surround color...
Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
Ok guys, time to close this epic search. Ready for some laughs? I went to this guy who has an eye for color, he mixed me up a pint of PPG paint, $90. I thouhgt in the can it looked a little dark. I asked about some Lacquer thinner, which I use to clean my guns, he said a store just up the road called Colors has it. So I went and it's a PPG store. Out of curiosity I asked if he could mix paint code XZA, he looked in his book and said silver trim for a Crossfire? I had him do a pint of the inexpensive kind $27. Came home did 2 color cards, guess what? The cheapo PPG was spot on, the 90$ stuff just a shade too dark. So there you have it, go to PPG store ask for XZA. Voila! I would recommend the $90 stuff though, it's a better quality paint.

Last edited by syfi; 01-12-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by syfi
If the surround is a match to the wheels, then here's the wheel color...

XZA - Crossfire Satin Silver 05179660AB

From a previous thread about matching the surround color...

I believe that Chrysler PS2 is the same as the XZA, I'm not sure why the 2 codes but the SSB code has 2 different numbers also. No one has explained this satisfactorily to me yet.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
I believe that Chrysler PS2 is the same as the XZA, I'm not sure why the 2 codes but the SSB code has 2 different numbers also. No one has explained this satisfactorily to me yet.
According to the Factory Cross Ref from Mopar, the PS2 was never used as an exterior paint on the XF and was called Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat. PS3 goes by the code name Sapphire Silver Metallic. There was also the P75 code name Bright Silver Metallic that became available on the 2007/2008 models only. Also, XZA and PS2 have entirely different Mopar and Sherwin-Williams paint P/Ns.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...paintguide.pdf

Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by HOT FIYA
I wouldn't mind finding this information out as well. I am having my entire car resprayed soon and I want to have my door handled repainted because they are chipping/flaking.
That's odd. I thought I read that the door handles were originally powder coated, which shouldn't chip or flake.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Forum Regular
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's odd. I thought I read that the door handles were originally powder coated, which shouldn't chip or flake.
Hmm. I honestly can't imagine them being powdercoated from the factory whereas all of the other silver accents are painted. I would speculate that the windshield trim, side strakes, grill slats and door handles are all painted using the same paint. My side strakes were chipping when I bought the car and I have since replaced those. But since I am having the entire resprayed soon I figured i'd just get my painted to do my door handles.

Edit: Just looked up the door handle on a factory Chrysler parts website. Here is the info that was given.

HANDLE. Right & Left. Exterior Door. .

This genuine part fits your 2005 CHRYSLER CROSSFIRE.
Color: (-Y3.)Exterior: (PY3.) Satin Silver.

Last edited by HOT FIYA; 01-14-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:52 PM

Carl, I did order a sheet of Carbon Fiber and another member gave me the Chrysler paint number. I'll try your suggestion first ...many thanks martin jg in Florida

Old 03-02-2016, 11:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Carl, I did order a sheet of Carbon Fiber and another member gave me the Chrysler paint number. I'll try your suggestion first ...many thanks martin jg in Florida
How did you cut and apply your carbon fiber vinyl? Did you do it all by hand? or, did you use a plotter/cutter? I have a Roland vinyl cutter and if you have accurate vector files to cut the front surround I would be interested...Peace

Old 03-02-2016, 11:39 AM

Martin. I did it all by hand...just be sure to leave enough to cover the edges and enough to fold on the back of the piece...it gives it a finished look...Carl

Old 03-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Mopar Paint Guide. PDF
This covers our cars.(ZH)

Old 03-02-2016, 08:56 PM
Forum Regular

The door handles are plastic. So they definitely aren't powder coated.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carl graham
martin: If you want to go the vinyl wrap route,,,this is what I used(Silver Carbon Fiber Vinyl wrap...cost around 20.00 for a piece 12x60")...easy to install and rather durable if you keep it covered with a UV protectant....Carl
I bought the same stuff awhile back. I still haven't put it on yet. I need to replace the windshield, and I'm broke. I painted all the other silver stuff with House of Kolor chrome paint. I did the windshield trim too, but it failed miserably there. I think the silver carbon fiber will look good with the decidedly non-chrome looking paint. It looks more like a near polished aluminum. And matches the finish on my aftermarket wheels as well.

I sure would like to see a better picture of that windshield.