Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

NEW LED guide for the cars - March 2015

Old 03-02-2015, 01:01 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default NEW LED guide for the cars - March 2015

This is an UPDATE to the old LED guide, that I have put together to give everyone the newest and best options I have gotten to work for our car.

NOTE: Please message me with any issues regarding the links. I know they can change over time, so I will update them if anyone notices they are out of whack.

This is a mini-guide on which LEDs to use for our car with success, and great results to improve lighting and looks. I will post this once now, and questions are welcome under the post of course. Please do not clutter the post with non-LED based questions.

BRAKE LIGHTS(NON CANBUS): http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-ASTAR-2x...FU2u0~&vxp=mtr

REVERSE LIGHTS(CANBUS): https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ed-tower/1326/

TURN SIGNALS(NON CANBUS): AMBER 7507 21 LED BLINKER TURN SIGNAL BULBS BAU15s | 1 PAIR

LICENSE PLATE LED FIXTURE FULL ASSEMBLY(CANBUS): License Plate LED Light No Error for Mercedes W211 E320 E500 AMG S211 C240 Wagon | eBay

FRONT PARKING LIGHTS(you will need to buy 2 bulbs from this link, CANBUS):
Amazon.com: SYLVANIA 168/194/2825 LED Premium White Miniature Bulb, (Pack of 1): Automotive Amazon.com: SYLVANIA 168/194/2825 LED Premium White Miniature Bulb, (Pack of 1): Automotive

FRONT SIDEMARKERS(buy these, but in AMBER,2 needed CANBUS): https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...se-tower/1127/

REAR SIDEMARKERS(buy these, but in RED, 2 needed CANBUS): https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...se-tower/1127/

INTERIOR GLOVE BOX: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...uct/2161/4950/

INTERIOR TRUNK LIGHT: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...uct/2161/4950/

INTERIOR DOME LIGHTS(you need 2 bulbs, get whichever color you like) https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...edge-base/206/

LED FOG LIGHTS ARE HERE!!!!!: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...l#.VowyTctMFnE

Final notes: The reverse lights WILL need to have a resistor put on the passenger side wires so they don't glow dimly when off. The car has a very small amount of active current on the wires even when the reverse gear isn't engaged. Keep this in mind. If this makes you feel all tingly and not (wo)manly enough to attempt to put a resistor on, ask here for help.
Not all these LEDs are CANBUS enabled, so the warning light will go off. I prefer not to care about the warning light anymore, as the difference in brightness these LEDs make compared to the halogen bulbs is pretty big and a nice addition to the car. If you really do want to get rid of the warning light out indicator, just attach a resistor to the exterior lights. The SIDE MARKER and FRONT PARKING LIGHTS LEDs are CANBUS enabled however!! Also the lights inside the car are NOT CANBUS controlled, so they won't cause the light out indicator to run.

Last edited by Adrian_X; 04-30-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:02 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: NEW LED guide for the cars, MOD please sticky this.

If anyone feels like they need help picking out options contact me on here or Facebook under the main owners group or tech help group.

Last edited by Adrian_X; 03-02-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NEW LED guide for the cars - March 2015

Great list of led lights..
Do you have those on your car? If so do you have photos to share as to what they look like and improvements they make..
I have heard in other posts that led lights may cause the light out to appear on the dash. Is this the case with these as well?
Thanks.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Forum Regular

I chose not to care about the light out indicator, and yeah these are on my car right now. Some of these are canbus enabled, and some are not. Each bulb is brighter than the halogen bulb it replaced. My brake lights are at least 1.5 times brighter than stock, and my reverse lights at least 2 times brighter.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

I posted a comment here because something was lacking in the OPs first post which was later added but my post which suggested the omission be corrected has been deleted. Another post I added was deleted as well.

Are my suggestions to be deleted and everyone is to think that the original post was perfect? Obviously it wasn't as Valk edited it and probably added my suggestion at that time.

If you don't want me here just say so.

Someone wants me to scan 600 pages of two of the rarer Crossfire books from Chrysler and add them to the documents collection, I wonder why I do not feel like doing it.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-05-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:07 PM

Which ones are can bus enabled and which are not? Which don't effect the light out dash light? I would like to add some led lights to my car. Mainly the interior but don't want to have the idiot light constantly lit on my dash..

180.. Your posts are always welcome by me.. Always great insight and advice.. Keep doing what you are doing..

Old 03-05-2015, 05:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MB04XFIRE

180.. Your posts are always welcome by me.. Always great insight and advice.. Keep doing what you are doing..
^X2^ "No good deed goes unpunished".... as they say. Please keep at it 180.
To the OP: Thank you for this updated list. It helps our decade old Xfires look young again.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:34 PM

Which ones are can bus enabled and which are not? Which don't effect the light out dash light? I would like to add some led lights to my car. Mainly the interior but don't want to have the idiot light constantly lit on my dash..

Interior lights do not trigger the light out bulb.
The licence plate bulb assemblies noted in post number one can be installed in the trunk in place of the assembly there already. They fit right into the existing hole with no modification. See my thread 'Showtime'.
I added LEDs to my map lights and used the ones which pointed all the light down, these were more efficient.
I have all LEDs in the cabin now including footwell lights which are similar to the licence plate assemblies, now I can see something when I drop it on the floor.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-05-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Forum Regular

Alright, so let's go through this a bit more then guys and girls(?), to make things clearer. First of all, nobody deleted anyone's posts out of spite or anything. I edited my original post to mention the lack of CAN BUS control over the interior lights, and then the mod (whoever it was) went ahead and pinned this post as a main one but deleted all comments but the original post to start fresh. It makes sense, as all the info was in the post now and people could start commenting.

ANYWHO

If folks could do me a huge favor and click the links individually, then they would find out that each bulb linked says in the product description if it's CAN BUS or not.

I'll mention it in the post too to make things easier, but come on folks it won't kill ya to click something

PS: 180 we still love ya

EDIT done to original post. Now go and buy some LEDs people, I need to see more of you using them and actually putting out some decent light at night time LOL

Last edited by Adrian_X; 03-05-2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: To apease the gods?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:59 PM

I get a bit touchy as I have had posts deleted because I was supposed to have said something which the record shows I never said but the powers that be decided I had said it. Then I was threatened with being banned from here like I actually was from the FB pages for supposedly calling FB users idiots or something, no one had the guts to say who banned me though. So I'll just have to wait till a little birdy tells me who it was for sure.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Forum Regular

Well this post is about shiny object and bright things to put on the cars to make them better than they were, let's forget about FB and whatnot lol

Anyway, yeah I personally used all these LED units, and they all work very well. I especially like my brake lights now, because holy hell they are bright. If i look in the mirror and apply the brakes, street signs down an entire block light up behind me

Old 03-06-2015, 02:06 PM

Thanks for all the insight.
How did you wire up the lights in the foot well?
How did you perform that mod?

I also was looking into changing my dims and fog lights to HID's.
Is this the right way to go for head lamps?

Old 03-06-2015, 02:31 PM

Thanks for all the insight.
How did you wire up the lights in the foot well?
How did you perform that mod?
Here is the way I did it.
These are the lights I used.
Make sure that there is enough room behind the panel where the lights are to go for the connector and wires.
This is what I did to the trunk lighting using the LED license plate units.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-06-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Forum Regular

For the HID kits use Morimoto from theretrofitsource.com
H7 for the low beams btw.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:29 PM

180. That is a pretty cool addition.. Can you put colored led lights instead of white in those light fixtures? Thanks for adding in the pics and explanation.. Much appreciated.

Adrian. Yes I have read your many posts about the morimoto hid. I am for sure going to order those for the low beams. You definitely sold me on those. Thinking of the 55w 5000k. .??
I do a lot of highway driving at night and lots of wildlife on the roads so I want as much light as possible... What do you suggest for the fogs? Also I would like a nice similar color high beam in a halogen. Any Ideas on that as well?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Forum Regular

I do not suggest ever going with a 55watt ballast and bulb combination, because over time it'll burn out the inside of your projectors and then you have to cough up 550 or so bucks per headlight unit.
Go with 4500k XB35 bulbs and 35watt XB ballasts and you'll have more than enough light on the road. Roughly 2.5 times more than halogen can ever put down.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:06 PM

Ok Adrian.

Do the 4500 have any blue in them when looking at the light from the front ?
How much difference between the 4500k and the 5500k ?
How many lumens and watts are the stock lights?

And what about the fogs hid and the high beams halogens??

Old 03-06-2015, 08:08 PM

Ok Adrian.

Do the 4500 have any blue in them when looking at the light from the front ?
How much difference between the 4500k and the 5500k ?
How many lumens and watts are the stock lights?

And what about the fogs hid and the high beams halogens??
The brightest lights are in the 3000K range, more light is lost as they get bluer. They are more yellowish but brighter and you said you want bright.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:57 PM

The morimoto website asks as an option if you want the antsy flicker capacitor link for an extra 15 bucks... Is thi needed?

Old 03-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Forum Regular

For HIDs, the brightest light is actually 4300k, not 3000k as 3000k is too close to the red end of the spectrum and you lose light there too. 4300k puts out the most lumen at around 3200 lumen. 4300k is going to be pure white with a very very very slight tinge of yellow. 5500k gives you a pure crystal white light at around 2950 lumen and 6000k(what I use) gives you white with a slight blue tinge and around 2800 lumen.

Quick Reply: NEW LED guide for the cars - March 2015