Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Passenger License plate light no power? Oh damn.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:18 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Passenger License plate light no power? Oh damn.

Originally Posted by VALK
Where does the water go ??
Bottom of the trunk, the drain holes

Old 12-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian_X
Bottom of the trunk, the drain holes
The water goes out of the drain holes in the bottom of the hatch door or the trunk lid on the roadster. If memory serves me correctly the rubber sticks out a little. The water will drain onto the area above the license plate and outside of the seal.
It certainly does not drain into the trunk.

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-06-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The water goes out of the drain holes in the bottom of the hatch door or the trunk lid on the roadster. If memory serves me correctly the rubber sticks out a little. The water will drain onto the area above the license plate and outside of the seal.
It certainly does not drain into the trunk.

Trivia question.
Can anyone say in what areas of the body is water that is originally on the outside of the car diverted through the body before exiting? Obviously the NA case mentioned above is one of them, so no points to be had there.
Yeah nobody said it drains into the trunk. It drains through the bottom of the trunk, aka the bottom of the trunk lid on either side of the trunk handle by the rubber grommets. Think you misunderstood my post.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Yeah nobody said it drains into the trunk. It drains through the bottom of the trunk, aka the bottom of the trunk lid on either side of the trunk handle by the rubber grommets. Think you misunderstood my post.
I think you said exactly this, "Bottom of the trunk, the drain holes".
Not this "Bottom of the trunk hatch, the drain holes".

I just wanted to make it clear to others, obviously you knew what you meant but did not say too clearly, no offense meant.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

While I was doing the LED flasher mod.. discovered both of mine had clogged from pollen and leaf debri .. I couldn't fish trimmer line through and ended up removing them and roto rooting with bailing wire.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:45 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
While I was doing the LED flasher mod.. discovered both of mine had clogged from pollen and leaf debri .. I couldn't fish trimmer line through and ended up removing them and roto rooting with bailing wire.
Damn, yours were that bad? I leave the spoiler down and so far they are not clogged yet lol

Old 12-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn, yours were that bad? I leave the spoiler down and so far they are not clogged yet lol

Might be from that ABS - Spoiler up issue.. LOL..

Old 12-07-2015, 12:42 AM
Forum Regular

You gotta get that fixed one of these days lol

Old 12-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 368 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Re: Passenger License plate light no power?? Oh damn.

So here's some more information from my adventure tonight in taking the entire trunk trim apart.
So I took the trim off, and traces wires and such. Found nothing kinked or broken, and ground looked good and I even cleaned it and reset it as best as I could.

Now here's where it gets REALLY stupid in general. I took my tester with me, and tested both driver's side AND passenger side(the one that's not lighting up) for power.

BOTH have power, and yet the passenger side won't light up either LED unit except when I move the trunk up and down but only for a split second.

So, if it was a broken wire, there shouldn't be constant power to the passenger side, right?? But there is. What the crap is going on here lol.

EDIT: for added giggles, I tested the passenger side for power while moving the trunk up and down multiple times and it never lost power. What the crap....

One answer, ground(s) is messing up. Where you ask, I dunno... If that ground point(s) has multiple groundings there, you may have additional gremlins. Just an FYI!

Last edited by GraphiteGhost; 12-13-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Forum Regular

I already sorted it out earlier in the thread, take a look back and you'll see I found the bad ground for it.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:29 PM
Received 368 Likes on 320 Posts

I already sorted it out earlier in the thread, take a look back and you'll see I found the bad ground for it.

Sorry, I saw (what I thought) was you ran another ground to solve that problem. If you have more grounds like this (where the original problem actually is in this lamp circuit), you only rigged a repair for this one. You may have had one ground wire fray to the point of the copper strands in a wire broke at a stress point and momentarily broke/made contact, but if it is at a ground point where other grounds are present... Also, since one wire in (possibly) a bundle may have frayed, there may be more. Those possible broken wires (hot/signal/ground) tend to heat up and cause other more serious problems. Just my opinion, and FYI.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:25 PM
Forum Regular

Ohh I know, and I rechecked the entire wire loom going down the trunk to the grommet area. I couldn't find any stray copper strands poking out or anything though. For now, I'm hoping nothing else shows up as a broken wire. The rest of the lights don't have any issues yet. Hoping it was just a crappy ground cable that broke or severed itself somehow.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, ran a ground directly to the harness plug by the LED unit and to a bolt on the trunk itself. Problem solved, and hopefully no more issues.
I'm having the same issue. I tried the ground wire jumper fix and it did nothing for me. I eventually gave up and just jumped the power and ground from the other lamp but of course the bulb out indicator is on. Is there a way to trick the ICM or just bypass it completely?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just read this thread when trying to confirm the correct original style bulbs to use for license lights.
Manual said "168", which I couldn't find, but I had DE3425 bulbs in there.

Posts 15 and 15 asked about the overhead image of a Crossfire. I have a promotional package that has this one on the cover, almost the same thing. The cutout on the right edge is to pull the inside materials out of the cover sleeve.
Notice the lack of Crossfire lettering on the rear hatch. None of the images in this package show Crossfire letters on the hatch.

Last edited by garjoe05; 04-23-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:51 PM
Forum Regular

For those still having this problem, I finally got around to fixing it properly.

It turns out that the power and ground cables from the wire loom in the top right corner to the trunk, inside the rubber sleeve, broke over time. I removed one side of the sleeve and repaired the wires, and also added a little bit of extra wire to each one so they don't break again so easily.

Hope that helps anyone else that runs into this problem with the car.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the broken ground but didn't see an issue with the power, I'll have to double check.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:58 PM
Forum Regular

Worth a look.

Also, the plastic clip on either end of the rubber sleeve has little release clips on all 4 sides, so that should make it easier to remove knowing that. Took me half a freakin hour to get one of them off because I didn't know that LOL