Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Lock/Unlock Problem Caused by the Siren

Old 01-16-2017, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lock/Unlock Problem Caused by the Siren

Fuse #9 was burned out in my 2014 Crossfire. That disabled the dome light and the lock/unlock function. I traced the problem to a short in the siren. After disconnecting the siren, fuse #9 kept alive as well as the dome light. However, the function of lock/unlock using the fab still disabled, I am using a manual locking. I checked the status of central locking module in the right hand side well in the trunk, it looked dry and unmolested. My question to the group would by disconnecting the siren affects the central locking module? Is the siren independent of central locking module?

Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Lock/Unlock Problem Caused by the Siren

The SKREEM communicates with the CLPSSM to tell it to sound the siren.
( the siren has only 3 wires, a 12v supply, a ground and a signal wire that tells it when to call mama. )
Where did you find a 2014 Crossfire, that would command quite a price if you decided to sell

Funny thing is that fuse #9 is also listed in the wiring section as the source for the dome and trunk lights, as well as a B+ supply to the BCM :

I "think" that may have something to do with supplying power for the CAN B bus, which is used for BCM / CLPSSM communication, which then tells the siren to scream.
O what complicated minds these German engineers had.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 01-16-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's confusing , because many have dis connected the siren with no problems. I did it for several days before I bought a new one.

Edit : Ahhhhh, I see , I just confused myself.
Thanks George....

Last edited by Steve Jr; 01-18-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps you are also having bcm issues. A few years back I was having similar issues with fob not working after having siren issues, replaced siren then fob wouldn't work but my anti theft would stay armed and my locks would on occasion just lock and unlock themselves.. Had to swap the Bcm to get rid of the demons.. But if you are only having your fobs not working perhaps you have a simpler and inexpensive fix..

Old 01-17-2017, 07:00 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jr
That's confusing , because many have dis connected the siren with no problems. I did it for several days before I bought a new one.
I didn't state that you could not disconnect the siren.
As you said, no problem with unplugging it.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:10 PM

Thank you for the contributors to my question. I had to disconnect the BCM several years ago because it was causing a battery drain. After unplugging it, the battery drain stopped. So now, I have 2 things unplugged: siren and BCM. Perhaps, I should plug the BCM or replace it and see if the fab lock/unlock the doors.
Thank you ala_Xfire of providing the schematics, they are very helpful. You asked about the 2004 crossfire, I had it for about 7 years and it has currently only 70K miles. What do you think it worth now?

Old 01-18-2017, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Lock/Unlock Problem Caused by the Siren

Originally Posted by zalsaigh
Thank you for the contributors to my question. I had to disconnect the BCM several years ago because it was causing a battery drain. After unplugging it, the battery drain stopped. So now, I have 2 things unplugged: siren and BCM. Perhaps, I should plug the BCM or replace it and see if the fab lock/unlock the doors.
Thank you ala_Xfire of providing the schematics, they are very helpful. You asked about the 2004 crossfire, I had it for about 7 years and it has currently only 70K miles. What do you think it worth now?
zalsaigh, read your 1st post, you said you own a "2014" xfire. ala_Xfire was making reference to that post. Sell out-right, about $5000 to $6000. Might get more, if exceptional car. And no problems.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:29 PM

Up-dates: I replaced the siren and fuse #9 stayed alive. However, the lock/unlock function stayed disabled. The fab functions correctly, lights flash when depressed, but no locking/unlock action. I checked the pump and the bcm in the trunk, both look dry and in good shape. My question: is there any reactivation procedure for the pump after replacing the siren? The lock/unlock button on the central counsel is not working either.
I apologize for miss typing my Crossfire make year, it is 2004 rather than 2014, we wish.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:03 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by zalsaigh
Up-dates: I replaced the siren and fuse #9 stayed alive. However, the lock/unlock function stayed disabled. The fab functions correctly, lights flash when depressed, but no locking/unlock action. I checked the pump and the bcm in the trunk, both look dry and in good shape. My question: is there any reactivation procedure for the pump after replacing the siren? The lock/unlock button on the central counsel is not working either.
I apologize for miss typing my Crossfire make year, it is 2004 rather than 2014, we wish.
Maybe I missed it but when was the last time the fob worked? Are the batteries inside it in a good state and not run down. If the batteries fail and they are not replaced at once the fob needs to be reset to the car so that it works again. The instructions are in the Owners Manual and on this forum.
Is it possible that the pump does work but you have leaking air lines coming from it? Can you here a hiss when the fob buttons are pressed and the trunk is open so you can hear better.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:24 PM

The fab was working before fuse #9 burnt out because of the short in the siren. I will check the hissing sound in the trunk. Perhaps, I can re-program the fab with new batteries. Thanks for the prompt reply.