Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Windshield Surround Base coupe Blk losing its luster

Old 12-30-2015, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield Surround Base coupe Blk losing its luster

I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with the black painted surface on the plastic surround on a base coupe that is painted black. In a couple of areas, the matte black has turned to gloss (or vice versa). The one body shop I visited claims this came from automatic car washes wearing on the plastic. I received a quote of $450 to repaint in which seems expensive. The body shop claims that front fenders need to be removed to expose the base of the side surrounds to fully paint. Also, is the surround originally a matte surface or glossy? (I think they are matte- the silver surrounds may be the same- matte?.) If anyone has had any experience with the plastic surround with deteriorating wearing of the surface paint, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:48 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Windshield Surround Base coupe Blk losing its luster

Originally Posted by BisB
I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with the black painted surface on the plastic surround on a base coupe that is painted black. In a couple of areas, the matte black has turned to gloss (or vice versa). The one body shop I visited claims this came from automatic car washes wearing on the plastic. I received a quote of $450 to repaint in which seems expensive. The body shop claims that front fenders need to be removed to expose the base of the side surrounds to fully paint. Also, is the surround originally a matte surface or glossy? (I think they are matte- the silver surrounds may be the same- matte?.) If anyone has had any experience with the plastic surround with deteriorating wearing of the surface paint, any info would be greatly appreciated.
The silver surrounds are shiny, I believe the black surround is shiny as well, to match the car.
Have you tried polishing a tiny area? If you have them painted you can take the three parts off the car. You have to be careful when they go back on that they are firmly in place or you will lose them.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks 180, your suggestions are always helpful. The body shop I visited was concerned about removing the surround for fear of breakage. He knows that Mercedes parts are costly, in which is why he wanted to paint them on the car and for the price he quoted in which I'm not interested to spend. He knew that. I will try to polish them and see if the matte surface will shine once again. I would think that an electric polisher may be needed. If not successful, I would be hesitant to try to remove the parts myself. If I don't screw up with car stuff, I'm always happy. I managed to install the chirp for the alarm successful, even the flashing brake light but I'll tell you my fog light housing and center cap story another time. I was sweating bullets. Maybe another body shop is the answer……….. Happy New Year to you!

Old 12-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 455 Likes on 321 Posts

A shop which replaces windshields should know exactly how to remove the 3 pieces you need painted
Mine were removed a few years ago when I had a new windshield installed with no issue and reinstalled with no issue as well.

Here are some more details:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/475710-post6.html

Old 12-31-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

As said previous, the 3 pieces can be removed very easily. Take them to a body shop and have them painted the color of your choice! Go silver if you prefer to change the look of your car.