Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Headlights Cloudy

Old 04-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Headlights Cloudy

Both headlight lens are cloudy. They are not cracked and work fine.
Does anyone have suggestion on how to remove the cloudy haze ?
I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks

Old 04-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Re: Headlights Cloudy

Originally Posted by Dcwhite67
Both headlight lens are cloudy. They are not cracked and work fine.
Does anyone have suggestion on how to remove the cloudy haze ?
I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks
If you use search you will find more info than you can shake a stick at.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
If you use search you will find more info than you can shake a stick at.
f
Thanks , I will give it a shot.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:47 AM

f
Thanks , I will give it a shot.
Well, I went to Sam'S Club and for 29.95 the headlight lens look like new. Also, have a 5 year warranty, just in case I need them redone.
I appreciate every ones help.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem and I used Sylvania headlight restoration kit. I like this kit because it comes with UV protection.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:20 AM
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Well, I went to Sam'S Club and for 29.95 the headlight lens look like new. Also, have a 5 year warranty, just in case I need them redone.
I appreciate every ones help.
I posted a thread on here a while back about Sam's Club! I have not found a better and less expensive alternative to be honest. Not only do they take their time in masking the surrounding area very well before sanding but also do they use several layers of clear-coat to make sure the lights don't fog up anytime soon from sun exposure. It's been almost 5 years now and the lights still look like new. Only thing, on one headlight the clear coat is starting to peel off so I will take it in next week to make use of my warranty before it expires

Old 05-12-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nickwe21
I posted a thread on here a while back about Sam's Club! I have not found a better and less expensive alternative to be honest. Not only do they take their time in masking the surrounding area very well before sanding but also do they use several layers of clear-coat to make sure the lights don't fog up anytime soon from sun exposure. It's been almost 5 years now and the lights still look like new. Only thing, on one headlight the clear coat is starting to peel off so I will take it in next week to make use of my warranty before it expires

I read someone's post about a film covering and saw some on the web. I contacted 3M and it sounds like they have a new product that is a preventative treatment like sunblock. I did ask a followup about where it will be sold but have not received a response yet. Here is my exchange:

Hello Kurt,

Unfortunately, 3M does not have a film that is recommended for headlights or a product to reduce fogging.

3M recently came out with Quick Headlight Clear Coat, 39173. It is an easy to use headlight wipe with clear coat that helps keep lens looking cleaner longer. It has extreme UV protection and helps prevents lens yellowing.

Regards,

Allison C
U.S. Business Services Operations
3M Automotive Market Center
Automotive OEM & Tier Suppliers | 3M/
800-328-1684 option 1
-----------Original Message Follows------------
Do you have a product that would work to reduce fogging of headlights?. Either another film or a liquid to reduce UV damage.?

I see other film products on the market for headlights. One states it was developed jointly with 3M and is used on aircraft canopies.

Kurt

-------- Original message --------

Hello Kurt,

Thank you for contacting 3M, where we apply science to life.

Scotchgard(TM) Paint Protection Film is a clear protective film for reducing stone chips and bug damage on painted surfaces. It is intended for use on high-impact areas, such as hoods, bumpers, rocker panels, wheel wells, side mirror backs, door edges, etc. The film can be used on new or refinished vehicles, as long as it’s applied to painted surfaces fully cured to the paint manufacturer’s instructions.

This film is not approved for use on headlights or windshields because of strict government regulations for optical clarity.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Allison C
U.S. Business Services Operations
3M Automotive Market Center
Automotive OEM & Tier Suppliers | 3M M/
800-328-1684 option 1

-----------Original Message Follows------------

Subject = Scotchgard Paint Protection Contact Us

Message = Can I use a paint protector on headlights to avoid fogging? Would it help with UV and/or abrasion?

Old 05-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

re: 3M recently came out with Quick Headlight Clear Coat, 39173. It is an easy to use headlight wipe with clear coat that helps keep lens looking cleaner longer. It has extreme UV protection and helps prevents lens yellowing.

Here's an update regarding where this product is available:

3M Quick Headlight Clear Coat 39173, is currently available. It can be purchased at O'Reilly Auto Parts, Napa Auto Parts and CARQUEST. If they do not have it in stock, they should be able to order it for you.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Received 530 Likes on 420 Posts

I use a product from Meguiar's called PlastX. I apply this to the headlights every 6 months to keep them polished & looking like new. My 2007 headlight's have never yellowed.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I use a product from Meguiar's called PlastX. I apply this to the headlights every 6 months to keep them polished & looking like new. My 2007 headlight's have never yellowed.
I was under the impression that PlastX is a polish. Only.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
He says he uses it as a polish. Meguiars also makes a product called Headlight Protectant, I use this now but before I used thePlastX polish.
My headlights look good as well, just lucky I guess. Another Chrysler car I owned had terribly fogged headlights. Maybe some cars have lights made from the wrong plastic compound.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:24 AM

He says he uses it as a polish. Meguiars also makes a product called Headlight Protectant, I use this now but before I used thePlastX polish.
My headlights look good as well, just lucky I guess. Another Chrysler car I owned had terribly fogged headlights. Maybe some cars have lights made from the wrong plastic compound.
I stand corrected.

The dog was freaking out at the lightening at 4 AM. I was up a little early.....

Old 05-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Received 530 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
He says he uses it as a polish. Meguiars also makes a product called Headlight Protectant, I use this now but before I used the PlastX polish.
The website states that product is a "Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish" (see attached snapshot of website). My headlights really never did get any amount of hazing, so the PlastX serves my purpose as a mild, abrasive cleaner/polish. I just apply it by hand and rub it off when it dries.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Meguiar's PlastX Product.JPG (64.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-14-2017, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
The website states that product is a "Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish" (see attached snapshot of website). My headlights really never did get any amount of hazing, so the PlastX serves my purpose as a mild, abrasive cleaner/polish. I just apply it by hand and rub it off when it dries.
Gotcha', bud. I have it , too. They are still at risk of UV damage.

Just sayin'...

Old 05-14-2017, 11:50 AM

Head lights that have been subjected to the grit papers when clearing the lens will have had the protective surface removed and will need to have the UV protection put back.
These polycarbonate lenses are quite soft without the hardener and UV protected surface treatment. This treatment is like the one done to eyeglass lenses.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:17 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

No polish, UV protector will help with impacts from road debris. I have used a thick plastic film on my headlights and fog lamps for years. There is a nick in one of the films from gravel, it is small and is in only the film. The gravel did not hurt the lens itself. I only polish the lens with plastX as the film is UV protection. (xpel.com) They have a kit for $70 which includes headlight and fog light, available as clear or dark smoke. A bit expensive, but much easier on the pocket book than replacing a headlight. I think that is what the Kurtp13 was looking for.

Last edited by zip439; 05-15-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my SRT used. Somewhere a previous owner must have put some type of (?) plastic coating on the headlights. Each have what looks to be a "crusty/rough wave across the lenses side to side and partially in a couple of corners on each headlight. I can rub my thumbnail across it and it feels rough like you "could" scratch it off, but you can't! Tried using a headlight lense cleaner, nope-- didn't do anything. Tried using soft steel wool at one small corner and nothing. Anyone have any idea what I could try on a small area to see if it comes off? Otherwise I assume I'll need to replace them. Function okay... just ugly. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Received 883 Likes on 688 Posts

Sounds like the lenses on my Graphite Limited I bought in 2010.

I used water, wet sand paper (800 grit, 1000 grit and then 1500 grit), and once I had the lenses sanded down to a nice smooth finish (with about a million tiny scratches), I followed it up with PlastX and a microfiber towel.

Make them look like new.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

If the "plastic coating" is a type of film then you might try a hair drier to warm the surface; when it is warm try to scrap it off with a vinyl/plastic scrapper. If you can get an edge started to peel off then the remainder will come off while applying heat from the hair drier.