Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Refinishing a ding in the Windshield surround

Old 08-16-2016, 09:55 AM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Refinishing a ding in the Windshield surround

I have a small ding in the WS surround that I would like to fill as inconspicuously as possible. The paint I gather is XZA, I think that it plus a clearcoat would be OK.
One method I have seen involves using a razor blade with two pieces of tape on the blade and shaving the paint down to the thickness of the tape and then finishing it flush.
I would rather leave it as is if the fix looks worse than it does now.
Anyone out there done this and achieved a good result?
Bluecoupe seems to be a master painter, any tips?
I imagine filling the ding under flush with the silver paint and then putting the clearcoat on.
There are loads of Utube vids on this but which one is the best way I am not too sure. Some are pure rubbish.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-17-2016 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Paint code corrected.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:09 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Refinishing a ding in the Windshield surround

Master painter?........not so much. I haven't seen the dent Dave, but I'm thinking you may not be happy with anything short of a complete refinish. I could be wrong?

Old 08-16-2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
Master painter?........not so much. I haven't seen the dent Dave, but I'm thinking you may not be happy with anything short of a complete refinish. I could be wrong?
It is not a dent just a chip and not big, it just bugs me.
See photo for size.

Save

Old 08-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, you could fill it in with multiple layers of paint, base colour and then several layers of clear and then knock it down with 2000 grit wet sandpaper. I would use a block behind the paper, like a pencil eraser and then polish it out. Chances are you will still see the outline of the chip.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:42 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I expected to see a metric ruler up North!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
I expected to see a metric ruler up North!
Old geezers like myself can use both systems, my son does not know an inch from a furlong.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:28 PM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I have a small ding in the WS surround that I would like to fill as inconspicuously as possible. The paint I gather is YZA, I think that it plus a clearcoat would be OK.
One method I have seen involves using a razor blade with two pieces of tape on the blade and shaving the paint down to the thickness of the tape and then finishing it flush.
I would rather leave it as is if the fix looks worse than it does now.
Anyone out there done this and achieved a good result?
Bluecoupe seems to be a master painter, any tips?
I imagine filling the ding under flush with the silver paint and then putting the clearcoat on.
There are loads of Utube vids on this but which one is the best way I am not too sure. Some are pure rubbish.
180 I believe the paint code is XZA Crossfire Satin Silver. I to must correct my windshield trim pieces, so please correct me if I have the code wrong.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by zip439
180 I believe the paint code is XZA Crossfire Satin Silver. I to must correct my windshield trim pieces, so please correct me if I have the code wrong.
Sorry I copied the code down, the X that I wrote down looks like a Y.
I'll correct my original post.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:50 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Wonder if the Dr. Colorchip technique would work to fill the ding in the windshield surround trim. If the paint was applied using a small plastic squeegee to only fill the ding, then use the Dr. Colorchip solvent to remove any residual paint. Probably will take several attempts to build-up the paint in the ding; size of ding dictates that.

I've used a similar technique using a paint pen from Automotive Touchup and smoothing out the paint so it's doesn't look like a small drip. (Note: I filled a ding on the PS lower front fender that was similar in size to the ding in your windshield surround trim. And I was working on a vertical surface.) Then once it sets up for about 10-15 minutes, I used a polish to buff the spot and remove residual paint from the surface. This has always worked well for me on the car body. Never tried it on something like the windshield surround trim. Reason I used the paint pen was the ding I was attempting to fill was larger than the typical "road rash" Dr. Colorchip professes to be able to clear up. Might work.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 08-18-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
Wonder if the Dr. Colorchip technique would work to fill the ding in the windshield surround trim. If the paint was applied using a small plastic squeegee to only fill the ding, then use the Dr. Colorchip solvent to remove any residual paint. Probably will take several attempts to build-up the paint in the ding; size of ding dictates that.

I've used a similar technique using a paint pen from Automotive Touchup and smoothing out the paint so it's doesn't look like a small drip. (Note: I filled a ding on the PS lower front fender that was similar in size to the ding in your windshield surround trim. And I was working on a vertical surface.) Then once it sets up for about 10-15 minutes, I used a polish to buff the spot and remove residual paint from the surface. This has always worked well for me on the car body. Never tried it on something like the windshield surround trim. Reason I used the paint pen was the ding I was attempting to fill was larger than the typical "road rash" Dr. Colorchip professes to be able to clear up. Might work.
I am going to do some tests and see what works best. I think it has to have a clear coat as the surface is really shiny.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:27 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I think it has to have a clear coat as the surface is really shiny.
I would agree with this point. Being silver and in a highly visible location, probably best to apply CC after filing the ding with paint.