Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

Outside mirror replacement

Old 09-26-2016, 02:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Outside mirror replacement

I had a deer break my passenger mirror and ding the door on my black 2004 NA. Thank goodness it only got the door and no body panels. I am looking for a door (probably cheaper to replace and paint then to knock the dent out) and I already bought a used mirror. However the used mirror is scratched and my old one doesn't even have a scratch on it but has no glass mirror and the cable bracket inside it was damaged.

Can I easily swap the inside guts of the used mirror to my original mirror? Looking at it I am trying to figure out how to get it apart without pulling the glass mirror off first somehow.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:35 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Re: Outside mirror replacement

Originally Posted by gp1200x
I had a deer break my passenger mirror and ding the door on my black 2004 NA. Thank goodness it only got the door and no body panels. I am looking for a door (probably cheaper to replace and paint then to knock the dent out) and I already bought a used mirror. However the used mirror is scratched and my old one doesn't even have a scratch on it but has no glass mirror and the cable bracket inside it was damaged.

Can I easily swap the inside guts of the used mirror to my original mirror? Looking at it I am trying to figure out how to get it apart without pulling the glass mirror off first somehow.
Turning the mirror to the inboard position exposes two screws that you remove.
I would however remove the mirror first, it is pried out from the top with a plastic trim tool. It clips to the mechanism inside. With the glass off you can remove the wire connectors inside the mirror and unscrew it and it will be free.
Prying the mirror off is a little unsettling at first but it is not that hard when it comes to the second one as the glass is quite strong. Hold the glass to prevent it falling.
I will add a helpful Mopar guide that shows all these instructions. CLICK

You only need to do step ten and remove the defrost wires from the back of the mirror, un-clip the wires to the motor, and then unscrew the mirror. The wires will come out through the mirror base. After that you will have to see how to remove the guts, sorry.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-26-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Outside mirror replacement

Wow...great!!

thanks for all the info..exactly what I was looking for!