Troubleshooting & Technical Questions & Modifications Have technical or modification questions about the Crossfire? Find out the answer, or give advice in here!

2004 Crossfire Beginning to have problems

Old 05-24-2015, 12:35 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: 2004 Crossfire Beginning to have problems

Originally Posted by tashcha
...because the steering column would not unlock,...
By saying "the steering column would not unlock" do you mean the key turns and starts the car just fine but the steering wheel will not turn? Or do you mean the key will not turn at all?

Old 05-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

a) "After a few mins. it will start again, the problem presents itself every couple of months, it's not consistent." almost certainly electrical, I'd look for a frayed or pinched wire.'

b) "cranks but does not start". My first thought is triage. Find a way to pour about 1/2 oz of gas into the intake manifold and crank. If fires and dies it is is fuel problem, if nothing, it is ignition.

When cars get about a decade old, a good tool kit and knowing how to use it is essentiall. With the exception of the Judge, all of my cars are fuel injected and computer controlled. Knowing how to talk to them is essental for understanding what is happening. I also have a fuel pressure guage I can put on the fuel rail and tell A Lot about things that do not set codes.

True, I can tell a lot more about my Jeep with my smart phone since the OBD-II is at least a generation later than the Crossie but still even the Crossie tells me quite a bit and I can use an android phone or tab to ask.

Has anyone ever put together a basic toolkit for the XF ? For about $200 you can put together a good basic set and with minor expansion perform most repairs.

I have a couple of the HF 105 Pc Tool Kit with 4-Drawer Chest & have seen under $35 on sale/with coupon that is nice for junquing or travelling. Add a few specialty tools (extensions, sockects, ratchet wrenches) and instruments (DVM, fuel pressure gauge, ammeter, noids) and you have a good start.

What would others here add ?

ps I have a spare CPS under the trunk floor.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
a) "After a few mins. it will start again, the problem presents itself every couple of months, it's not consistent." almost certainly electrical, I'd look for a frayed or pinched wire.'

b) "cranks but does not start". My first thought is triage. Find a way to pour about 1/2 oz of gas into the intake manifold and crank. If fires and dies it is is fuel problem, if nothing, it is ignition.

When cars get about a decade old, a good tool kit and knowing how to use it is essentiall. With the exception of the Judge, all of my cars are fuel injected and computer controlled. Knowing how to talk to them is essental for understanding what is happening. I also have a fuel pressure guage I can put on the fuel rail and tell A Lot about things that do not set codes.

True, I can tell a lot more about my Jeep with my smart phone since the OBD-II is at least a generation later than the Crossie but still even the Crossie tells me quite a bit and I can use an android phone or tab to ask.

Has anyone ever put together a basic toolkit for the XF ? For about $200 you can put together a good basic set and with minor expansion perform most repairs.

I have a couple of the HF 105 Pc Tool Kit with 4-Drawer Chest & have seen under $35 on sale/with coupon that is nice for junquing or travelling. Add a few specialty tools (extensions, sockects, ratchet wrenches) and instruments (DVM, fuel pressure gauge, ammeter, noids) and you have a good start.

What would others here add ?

ps I have a spare CPS under the trunk floor.

In my opinion, Grework put together the best most comprehensive kit list in this post:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ares-list.html

Old 05-24-2015, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KDW4Him
By saying "the steering column would not unlock" do you mean the key turns and starts the car just fine but the steering wheel will not turn? Or do you mean the key will not turn at all?
The key will turn and start the car once the anti theft mechanism on the steering column unlocks.. The issue is getting the key and the steering wheel which I understand is a motion that should be done simultaneously to unlock the steering column in order for the key to start the engine.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tashcha
The key will turn and start the car once the anti theft mechanism on the steering column unlocks.. The issue is getting the key and the steering wheel which I understand is a motion that should be done simultaneously to unlock the steering column in order for the key to start the engine.
OK then it sounds like the sticky ignition mod will cure that.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok great thanks.